Serious E bay fraud attempt

Buggar all to do with France, but I know that many here use it.

Be aware that there is a very, very genuine looking fraud attempt being E mailed to users asking you to re-register with E Bay and of course enter your credit card details.  It is much better than the usually misspelled, bad grammar attempts from Bulgaria or wherever they come from, it does look genuine, but it is not.

E Bay have confirmed it is a phish.  The other giveaway is that it is addressed to "Dear E Bay member" not to your log in name.  but even if it was addressed to your log-in name, it would still be a fraud attempt, Ebay NEVER ask for bank details from existing users.

We'll have to look out for that one. Husband has been subject to 2 other frauds on ebay - one, where someone broke into his paypal account and he was charged £1500 for something he knew nothing about. He did get that sorted out. Then he was bidding for a camera and the seller sent him a dodgy email asking for money etc . He reported it to ebay and the whole sale  turned out to be fraudulent. Pat.

I have had loads of dodgy ebay emails .. one sure way of knowing whether it's dodgy is if it's got an attachment .. Ebay NEVER send attachements .. I always check on my ebay account first, if it's genuine you'll have a message there .. same applies to paypal.

Having had several (many) similar attempts to get me to divulge data, I mailed an example to e-Bay.

Attached is the formal response:  (I highlighted the most important para.)

Hello,

Thank you for writing to eBay regarding the email you received.

Emails such as this, commonly referred to as "spoof" or "phished"
messages, are sent in an attempt to collect sensitive personal or
financial information from the recipients.

The email you reported was not sent by eBay. We have reported this email
to the appropriate authorities.

In the future, be very cautious of any email that asks you to submit
information such as your credit card numbers or passwords. If you are
ever concerned about an email you receive from eBay, simply follow these
steps:

1. Open a new Web browser and type www.ebay.com into your browser
address field to go directly to the eBay site.

2. On eBay, click on the "My eBay" link at the top of the page and sign
into your account.

3. Check the "My Messages" link located on the left side of the My eBay
page. If an email affects your eBay account, it's now in "My Messages."
Any email sent to your registered eBay email address from eBay or from
another eBay member via eBay's member-to-member communication system
will also appear in "My Messages."

Just remember, if you get an email regarding a problem with your account
or that is requesting personal information, and the email looks like it
is from eBay, please check My Messages first. If it's not there, it's a
fake email.

If you still have any doubt about whether an email message is from eBay,
please forward it to [email protected] immediately. Do not respond to it or
click any of the links. Do not remove the original subject line or
change the email in any way when you forward it to eBay.

If you have already entered sensitive personal information, financial
information, or your password into a Web site based on a request from a
spoofed email, you should take immediate action to protect your identity
and all of your online accounts. We have developed an eBay Help page
with valuable information regarding the steps you should take to protect
yourself.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/isgw-account-theft-reporting.html

To review eBay's new tutorial about Spoof Emails, please see the
following Web page:

http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial/

To help you better protect yourself from fake eBay and PayPal Web sites,
we have developed a feature for the eBay Toolbar called "Account Guard."
Account Guard includes an indicator of when you are on an eBay or PayPal
Web site or a known spoof (or "phishing") site, buttons to report fake
eBay Web sites, and a password notification feature that warns you when
you may be entering your eBay password on an unverified site.

To learn more about the eBay Toolbar with Account Guard, please go to
www.ebay.com, click on "Downloads" at the bottom of the page, and then
click on the "eBay Toolbar" link.

We also recommend that you keep your browser, operating system, and
virus protection software up to date. Check for updates at the "Windows
Update" link on www.microsoft.com and scan your computer for viruses
often.

Once again, thank you for alerting us to the spoof email you received.
Your efforts help keep eBay a safe and fair place to trade.

Regards,

Ande
eBay SafeHarbor
Investigations Team

Important: eBay will not ask you for sensitive personal information
(such as your password, credit card and bank account numbers, Social
Security numbers, etc.) in an email. Learn more account protection tips
at:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-protection.html

For our latest announcements, please check:

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/announce.shtml

In order to better serve you, we'd like to occasionally
request feedback on our service. If you would rather
not participate, please click on the link below and send
us an email with the word "REMOVE" in the subject line.
If that does not work, please send an email to the
email address below. Your request will be processed
within 5 days.

mailto:[email protected]

I was recently outbid on Ebay and later received an email saying that the winners of the auction could not complete and would I like to buy it at the price I bid. It appears to have been genuine according to the above response from Ebay but I didn't respond because there have been so many scams.

You might find this interesting -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4386952.stm

Hoddy

I was recently outbid on Ebay and later received an email saying that the winners of the auction could not complete and would I like to buy it at the price I bid. It appears to have been genuine according to the above response from Ebay but I didn't respond because there have been so many scams.

Probably a good thing that you ignored it,  quite likely you had been bidding against the seller who was bidding themselves in order to inflate the bids and had miscalculated and won the auction. A scam in itself,  but it may also lead the way to a bigger scam-once the seller is in communication and finds you are eager, they may urge you to pay by a less secure (for you) means.

Another Dave 

Hoddy

You are right to express caution but a 2nd chance offer is not likely to be scam as such, they are normally genuine if addressed to your log-in name. You can open the item in "my Ebay" and on E bay and look at it, you usually have 24 hours to take up the offer.

What you have to consider is why you are being offered it, I always ask that question. If there were only two or three bidders, it could be a mate or the seller even, has bid up the price (check the feedback of the other bidders, look and see if they are also bidding on the sellers other items, and what they normally buy,  always a give away) and now the seller sees what you are willing to pay an inflated price is trying to conclude the deal at a high price.  However, sometimes a timewaster has bid for an item and has no intention of buying it, also there could genuinely be more than one item and the seller is taking the opportunity to get a good price for the other item rather than listing it. 

I got another superb fraud attempt this morning that included the following

"eBay keeps you safe by ensuring that the messages you receive in your email, directly from eBay, are not fake (spoof) emails. Furthermore, we can commit to the delivery of important account-related messages and Customer Support responses.Plus a new feature wich includes secured certification" 

This WAS a fake EBay E Mail

Not my normal area of Living France , but I am about to post a question of my own when this thread caught my eye, there was a program on ITV Trevor Mc Do (don`t all groan at once--- I had my dad staying and he likes his little routine ) last week about a lad that had been caught out for thousands of £ of scams on E Bay, one of them included the contacting of the second highest bidder , getting the dosh and not sending on the goods.

Mrs O

Yes I saw it Mrs O, but you need some perspective here, something lost on Trevor Mc Donut, there are 10 million users on E bay doing millions of deals a year, ITV managed to find two dodgy people and both of them operated outside of the E bay system to further their crimes and their victims let them do it. As for the fakes well if you really think you can get a Gucci bag for £5, well more fool you

Ebay is like all things in life, it needs to be used with caution. I have bought nearly 300 items from E Bay and I have had only one problem and that cost me £1.50.

I recently bid for two sets of CD's on Ebay and got the first and lost the second - the price went well over my limit. I got a second chance at a very good price - I checked the seller and found that they had good standing and no problems so I took the second chance and it was at about half the price that they were currently being won for - seller based in UK.

The second chance pack of CD's is fine - I checked every one, the full price win had a broken case - which was replaced by return mail. The post took 3 days to get here and total postage for both items quoted (I asked for them to be posted together) was the cost of the stamps - the seller had to pack and post etc. The broken box was of course free.

These are self improvement CD's and all I can say is that this seller obviously has done her homework on how to run an Ebay shop and how to give good service - and I intend to buy from then again.

So, when you are given a second chance - check out the seller well, see how long they have been in business and if they have got a 98%+ rating. If not don't touch it. I saved a lot of money on this transaction and it was the first time I have ever been offered a 'Second Chance' but will def. do it again.

Safe shopping (now we have ADSL I even found John trawling on there last night!).