Well I'm delighted to report (and I HOPE it's not premature) that ITV is at this very moment in the process of going free-to-air.   ITV2 went FTA a few minutes ago and ITV 1 Anglia (10.714 GHz, H, 22000 5/6) is clear.

After five years of spineless grovelling to Sky, ITV have followed the BBC's lead and chucked off Mr Murdoch's Videoguard shackles.   This co-incides with the launching of ITV4,  although it's still not clear if this will happen on Satellite tonight or in a few days.

So all you Corrie fans who don't have Sky boxes will have a good week!

[quote]Well I'm delighted to report (and I HOPE it's not premature) that ITV is at this very moment in the process of going free-to-air. ITV2 went FTA a few minutes ago and ITV 1 Anglia (10.714 GHz, H, 220...[/quote]

Good news !  I've just cancelled my Sky subscription so will I be able to receive ITV1 etc with my digibox and cancelled Sky card (or without the card even)

Bernice

In fact you could have cancelled your Sky contract whenever you wanted as the card retains the ability to get ITV/C4/C5 even when you stop paying Sky.  However,  indeed,  as of today you could take the card out and still watch ITV.

But hang on to it because even after you cancel you'll need it for C4/C5 and (as far as I can see) Sky 3;  (our FTV card is getting it - for what it's worth).

[quote]Well I'm delighted to report (and I HOPE it's not premature) that ITV is at this very moment in the process of going free-to-air. ITV2 went FTA a few minutes ago and ITV 1 Anglia (10.714 GHz, H, 220...[/quote]

Martin, you are a STAR.  I rely on you for this sort of info.  I was just thinking today how ghastly the recent programmes on BBC have been recently, it will be a real treat to get an even wider selection of ghastly programmes from ITV   I'm off to retune/rescan or whatever is necessary this minute.

Liz (29)

Thanks. So all I have to do is redo  channel search (or whatever it's called) and I should have the ITV channels popping up, hidden between channels selling me jewellry and salvation?

I'll wait until tomorrow morning, for some reason, I can only get ITV3 clearly during the daytime  and it would be just my luck that normal ITV does the same thing.

So will ITV1 and 2 just appear on our list of channels available via Astra 2a now or will we have to add them manually.  If so, does anyone know what the settings are please?

Well I could get very excited now, Corrie after a 2 and a half year absence!!! 

Coco - on any box other than a Sky box you need to add the channels manaully.  Some boxes may show some ITV channels on the list already but as there has been a certain amount of shifting around (ITV News comes to mind) it's safer to do a rescan.

All the details are on

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.html   (Amazingly for them hasn't been updated yet to show FTA)

but in essence it's  SR 22000 FEC 5/6 and

10714 H  or 10758 V   10832 H   10891 H   10906 V

Frequencies quoted in MHz,  to get GHz divide by 1000.   The different frequencies carry different regions,  check also for ITV 2 and 4.

Enjoy.

[quote]Coco - on any box other than a Sky box you need to add the channels manaully. Some boxes may show some ITV channels on the list already but as there has been a certain amount of shifting around (ITV ...[/quote]

"on any box other than a Sky box you need to add the channels manually"

Martin This is not strictly true, I have a PSB box from PULSAT and to add channels you do a set up/ satellite scan. It tells you how many channels it has added, of course it downloads all the SKY subscription channels which are scrambled but then again you have that with a Sky box and you get at least 40 of each of the BBC 3/4 and  CBBBC channels,

The odd thing is that I have channels on the French box that I do not have on the Sky box and vice versa, for example I get all the ITV regions and loads of "development streams" on the French box,  but not the ITV News Channel, ITV 2, the horror wrestling and bad movies channels.  Weird or perhaps the French box having built in taste policing

Ron - yes of course you are right to pick up on my slight generalisation there.   Some boxes I have come across will - when you do a rescan - simply add all the channels they find as new ones,  not replacing those already there.  One can quickly end up with 2000 channels,  99% of which are duplicates of ones already there.  Of course you can do a clear channels first,  but explaining that on the forum....??

I think we know why your French box sees things that the Sky box doesn't (Sky hide them!) but as to why it's missing things - that's harder.   In some instances FTA boxes will miss FTA channels within a bouquet that is largely encrypted - it sees the head channel as encrypted and flits on to the next transponder...  but that wouldn't appear to be the case here.   Tell it to try harder!   Actually - I've just thought - the transponders on Astra 2 that were dormant when your box was manufactured probably aren't in the transponder master list,  in which case you need to find that menu and add them.

Presumably you could do a channel specific search for ITV 2?  (with pids and all...)

Although ITV4 is not yet showing on the Sky EPG, it is actually transmitting as a test station.  To add it to your Sky box

Press the "services" button on your Sky remote control

Go to "System setup" (4)

Go to "Add Channels" (4)

Type in 10758 at Frequency

Use the right arrow key to change the symbol rate to 22

Change the FEC to 5/6 in the same way

Scroll down to "Find Channels" and press the "select" button

ITV4 is transmitting as 10072, so scroll down to this and hit the yellow buton to store the channel.

Once you've done all that, you can watch ITV4 by using the services button to access other channels (6) and selecting 10072. 

We managed to do a rescan last night and found them all there, although ITV2 and ITV4 were both called "10072"   Anyway, we now have all four ITV channels, including the regional ITV1 for the Channel Islands, which may help with slightly more accurate weather forecasts, as we are only a little SE of Jersey!  When am I ever going to get any work done now?  We had such bad reception in the UK that we had to receive our TV by cable so now we've got loads more channels than we ever had in the UK and don't have to pay a monthly charge either

[quote]In fact you could have cancelled your Sky contract whenever you wanted as the card retains the ability to get ITV/C4/C5 even when you stop paying Sky. However, indeed, as of today you could take th...[/quote]

I'm paying £15 a month to Sky because I want to keep C4 and C5 ( not too bothered about Sky1). Are you sure the card will retain these channels if I cancel my subscription?

I guess I kept paying because I thought I might upgrade at some stage but I don't think that is likely now....too many better things to do over here!