NRJ Mobile. At last PAYG that doesn't expire.

Yes NRJ mobiles (An offshoot of the Radio Company so they are "Yoof" oriented!) started a service on November 2nd  which offers a non time limited PAYG service: no more wasted  cards!
They are using the SFR network so coverage should be pretty good.

They are offering a SIM card only option at 30 euros if you already have an unlocked phone

Details at:

https://www.nrjmobile.fr/visiteur/detail_terminal.cgi?clePack=20

Thank you BJSLIV - this looks to be what I have been waiting for. As a very light user, I absolutely refused to buy a French PAYG before as I could not cope with the idea of unused credit, for which I had paid, being cancelled.

I've looked at the link and can't see any catches or hidden charges, so here goes! Thanks again,

Graham

I have an unlocked Philips Savvy dual band which must be about 6/8 years old and I never got a sim card for it here for the same reason, too light a user.

Are the sim cards the same size, shape etc as they were then do you think?

Very useful link - thanks for posting it.

And so nice to know there are at least two other people in the world as careful with their dosh as we are.  Can't bear the thought of having to "use it or lose it".

Actually I'm unclear on one thing;  in the tarification section do we suppose that the phrase "vers tous les operateurs" refers to landlines as well as other mobile operators or have I missed a section somewhere?   Just seems odd (from the anglo-saxon viewpoint) that cross-mobile-network calls would appear to be same price as to landlines?    Maybe I'm being thick here....

I have a contract with Orange (but the phone is now unlocked) I have had the contract for a number of years, it is the cheap 7€ per month PAYG (Ex 50 francs) where the "top up" has no date validity.

There are a couple of others who now offer a similar contract but with this now available, I would only like to ask, is one's old portable telephone number transferable to this system ?

Choix du numéro, à l’activation de votre ligne, parmi les tranches

commençant par 0606 : ayez un numéro qui vous correspond vraiment

(par exemple 0606JULIEN).(1)

Well it appears, on taking further look, that the above looks like numbers will start with 0606

Which seems to mean that my old 06 11..............cannot be transferred ?

Martin

I think the way you have to look at it, is that you aren't calling mobiles cheaply, you are in fact paying the mobile price to call fixed line phones. 55cents is in fact a bit pricey for off-peak calls, you can get cheaper rates elsewhere, but then you are back in the realm of use it or lose it top-ups.........

Ruth,

NRJ is what’s called a “virtual network” – ie, they use another [established] networks aerials / infrastructure to carry their calls.  NRJ uses the SFR network.  Therefore there is a possibility that an SFR mobile will accept an NRJ SIM without having to be unlocked.

In the UK some Virgin phones will accept T-Mobile SIMs and vice versa as Virgin is a virtual network using the T-Mobile network.  There is no guarantee that another SIM will work, it seems to depend on the phone and its software, but you might want to give it a try first.

If it doesn’t work, depending on which mobile you have, it may be possible for you to unlock it yourself - there are some websites where you can obtain the ‘unlock code’ you need to enter into the phone – free!  The unlock code for a mobile is unique to its IMEI (serial) number.  It’s easy to do yourself if you’ve got the right phone.  If you have a Nokia, have a look at http://www.trycktill.com/eng/ - note you must follow the instructions VERY carefully.

Other makes / models may need to be connected to a PC to unlock them or be connected to an unlocking device.

You’ll find the multiple mobile dealers and network shops wont offer this service, however they should be able to point you in the direction of somewhere local where you can get it done.

I don’t know what the verb is for unlock (in a mobile sense) is, just explain that you want to put a different “carte SIM” (eg UK network) into your phone – they should know what you mean.

Thanks for the speedy reply Ecossais. I will pursue the line of changing my SFR carte to NRJ but if this doesn't work I will try to unlock my Nokia phone as per your instructions. This will save me a lot of money as I recently lost about 60 euros with SFR as I renewed it a day late and lost all credit.

Thanks for the link to the trycktill site.  Went through all the stages and it seems to have given me 2 codes of similar format,  one ending with ...+1 and one with .....+2.   Do I have to put both in?   One after the other?  

Sorry to be thick but as is so often the case they assume you "know"...

Martin 

I tried to order the NRJ Mobile on their website with my credit card and after inputting the number and expiry dates etc. I got another screen asking for the bank account details associated with the card. I was unable to do this as my card is a UK one and the bank details bit was of course in the French format.

How can I get round this apart from sending a cheque? Many French residents do not have a card of any sort so how can they make an order?

The website says you can go along to any of their partners (eg. Darty, Carrefour) so I suppose I could pay cash there.

But then how could I do top-ups on line with my credit card?

Have solved my Nokia unlocking problem - seems you do need to put in both codes (and be very quick about it - I felt my age trying to outwit the time limit).

Can't help on the credit card problem - I suspect that the yoof market all have bank cards of one sort or another....

Having read carefully the terms and conditions on the NRJ site they say that the phones they supply will not work on any other network except SFR. I conclude from this that I will not need to unblock my SFR phone. Other SFR carte users may find this info useful . The tariff 55cents may seem high but it is the same as my present one with SFR carte so I can't lose can I ? Thanks for your e mail with unblocking details Ecossais...I'll keep them for future reference. The info about bank cards was useful too...I'll use my French one to order. Many thanks...Ruth

I think some of this has already been covered but heres my €0.02 worth..

Just tried to order a SIM from the UK on my UK credit card and you can't do it. it asks for the bank R.I.B information which UK banks don't have. the T's & C's also say "et
régulièrement domiciliés en France métropolitaine et en Corse." e.g you have to be "regularly domiciled in Metropolitan France and Corsica"

No problem, I'll try with my French card tonight from home giving my French address 

To unlock a phone the best way is to find someone with a PC and the software, I got mine done at a UK computer fair but I've seen some mobile shops in the UK that advertise this service. I think it cost me £10

Just an update from me. Ordered SIM card on Sat and it arrived special delivery today(tues). Used our French card and we now have to supply identity(carte, driving licence or photo page of passport  within 12 days. Think it's easier to do all this in France. Put SIM card in my previous SFR carte phone and all worked well straight away. Registered online and got 50 free texts + 6euros credit. Topped up online with French card for 10 euros. If you only want the SIM card they give you a no so you can't choose.Very happy as I don't have to watch the calendar any more. They let you know when you.re down to 1 euro. Only proviso is you have to make one chargeable call in 6 months.

we now have to supply identity(carte, driving licence or photo page of passport  within 12 days

Get it back quickly then so that the police can keep track of what you are doing!

Is it possible to purchase one of these at a store in France?

Darty and Carrefour are listed as outlets.

I only need my mobile for emergency use should I break down on the road. My Nokia,in common with all other mobiles, allows you to call free to Emergency numbers and Roadside Assistance without any other device in the phone, other than a SIM card! No worry about monthly fees!

Lautrec.