We presently have a sky box which works well in the Gers with no subscription, just an out of date card.

We would like to upgrade to a Skyplus box so that we can record programmes on it, but I read that this feature is only available if you are a subscriber. Is this true?

Piddy.

Thanks Nick.

Is it possible for Sky to disable the machine or card when they find out it is not connected to the telephone, as has been suggested on previous posts.

I dont want to buy a box which will not do anymore than my present one which works perfectly.

Piddy.

It doesn't even need to be a Sky+ box, you could just as easily keep your existing Sky reciever and add a DVD recorder with a hard drive recording facility (often called personal video recorders or PVRs).  They record in much the same way as a video recorder, but onto a hard drive, and also give you you option of watching, pausing and rewinding shows as they are transmitted. For more information see the link below...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_video_recorder

I've had a Thomson Scenium PVR for a couple of years, and the only real downside is that I can't use the Sky EPG to program my recordings.  Instant record is no problem, but to set the timer I have to enter the start/stop times manually.

I'm not sure how much they cost here in France, but prices start at around £180 in the UK.