letting deposit query

dotty

I am letting out a property in France which I jointly own. The deposit as it is furnished is quite substantial and I was wondering the best way of handling the deposit. The joint owner is not particularly trustworthy so I would like to safeguard my half ! Would it be acceptable for me to ask for the deposit to be paid 50/50 as the rent will be ? Any thoughts please on this rather delicate situation! Thank you

I think that you should contact ADIL France and speak to them about this and your responsibilities. And I would speak to a notaire too.

This sounds very strange to me, why would you jointly own anything with someone you do not, by your own admission, trust. 

It does sound strange altogether. I suggest you put the deposit in bank account that requires BOTH of your signatures to make a withdrawal, or maybe lodge it with a notaire for safe keeping. When the time comes to give the deposit back to the tenant he will expect it all back, not just the half that you've been 'looking after' - and if half of it isn't forthcoming he will pursue both of you until it is. He won't be interested in how you divvy up as long as between you, you refund the full amount.

Tenants have more protection under French law than under UK law and landords have legal obligations, beyond just collecting the rent, so make sure your partner is going to pull his/her weight.

It could be the two owners had a relationship which went sour and one has moved on hence why the OP wants to safeguard her half of the income. Eurotrash gives good advice about putting the deposit in a safe place, if the other part owner decides to pull out,do a runner etc, you will be responsible as you are joint proprietaire to pay it all back and possibly any other debts the other party might have run up as well. I would personally protect myself as much as I could.