Letting a house

Debra

I'm having a bit of a nightmare getting my kids to two different lycees and a primary school on a Monday morning and then one lycee and primary school for the rest of the week.  I have a house I live in and another I intended to move to (part decorated) and neither is convenient for the lycees.  I'm trying to sell them but nothing is moving so I'm thinking of letting both of them so I can then rent somewhere more convenient for us at this time.  I realise I can't just let my house and that it needs to be up to certain standards, presumably for electricity, plumbing, heating and kitchen facilities.  Is there somewhere I can see what these standards are?  Do I have to have some sort of inspection done to say the houses are fit to be let?  The one I live in doesn't have an up to date fosse so would I have to update that before I could let it?

Two of them are, hence it only being Monday mornings I have three trips to make.  The older two I have to take to a bus in one town at 6am so I can get back in time to take the next youngest to his bus.  He (younger and doesn't really want to board) is in the catchment lycee but he still needs to get a bus in a different town at 7am.  After taking him to that, I get back in time to get my youngest ready for his bus from our village at 8.20. 

The evenings are less stressful, even though the standard buses arrive at the same time in different towns, by grace of early finishes on Fridays (I doubt I'll be lucky enough to get that next year though).  I do have to take my youngest back to the town he came back from on the bus in order to pick up his brother from his bus - but we get two hours break in between him getting home and having to go back there.  I'd like to move to the town where the lad who isn't boarding goes to lycee.  That way my youngest could also go to school in the same town and I'd only have the one early drive to a bus on the Monday and a pick up on the Friday.

Google is my friend, so I found this, which seems to be saying that all the same diagnostics are needed as for selling the house http://www.pap.fr/conseils/location/les-diagnostics-immobiliers-obligatoires-en-location/a2513 but it says the electrics one isn't needed but that you should make sure it's safe - so doesn't that mean I need the diagnostic anyway?  The difference with selling is I need them all up front, whereas to put it on the market I only needed the DPE (I think - it's been on a while so I can't remember for certain).  The fosse isn't mentioned so maybe I only have the normal obligations to get that sorted (the report said next year some time).

By the way, just in case you think I'm a total pillock who didn't plan well when I agreed on the lycees they could go to, I did have it all planned and it wasn't too bad but the conseil general changed the bus routes just before la rentree, making the second bus depart within a few minutes of the first, but in a different town twenty kilometres away from the first bus stop.

It's just that there are so many awful tales of nightmare tenants who don't pay the rent and can't be evicted, it seems to be a lottery as to whether you get a good tenant or an evil one - and you're going to get two lots of tenants so you'd have to strike it lucky twice.

Plus, even if they are good tenants, once they're in they're there for the 3 year term of the lease, so you can forget about selling either of the houses for the next 3 years unless the tenants happen to want to buy it.

The idea of it would stop me sleeping at night TBH but anyway all the regulations are here

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F2042.xhtml

click on either unfurnished or furnished and it will tell you what the criteria are for a 'decent' property, plus all the other red tape.

Bonne chance

• Thanks 1

Thanks (got the page now) - I'll have a read.

The other option my stepdaughter came up with (she's the oldest) is that her friends reckon she could rent a flat once she's eighteen next March and then my oldest son, seventeen, could stay with her at least on Sunday nights.  She seems to be under the impression she'd be able to apply for help with paying the rent and something to live on in order to do this.  I know they can do this when they go to Uni but can they do it if they're still at lycee?

works for me

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F2042.xhtml

I have rented out for years and could tell some tales, but if I had a reasonable place I would use an agent rather than doing it myself, and be sure to get an Assurance  loyers impayés

Just make sure that the basics (electricity, plumbing insulation) are sound, paint it all white and be prepared to re-do it between lettings.

Don't let any where you bought because you like it, as tenants will break your heart if you like the place.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F12006.xhtml

Conditions relatives à la situation de la personne

L'APL vous est attribuée :

• quelle que soit votre situation familiale, avec ou sans personne à charge,

• quelle que soit votre nationalité, sous réserve de justifier d'un

titre de séjour si vous êtes de nationalité étrangère, ou de remplir les

conditions exigées pour résider régulièrement en France si vous êtes

ressortissant de l'Espace économique européen (EEE) ou suisse,

• quelle que soit votre situation professionnelle.

Aucune condition d'âge minimum n'est exigée. Toutefois, un enfant mineur

émancipé

peut percevoir l'APL à condition que le bail soit à son nom. Pour

l'enfant mineur non émancipé, il est exigé que le bail soit signé ou

cosigné par ses parents, la quittance de loyer pouvant éventuellement

être établie au nom de l'enfant mineur non émancipé. Dans ce cas, l'APL

est versée soit au bailleur lorsqu'il a fait une demande de versement

direct, soit au mineur non émancipé.

[quote user="NormanH"]Just make sure that the basics (electricity, plumbing insulation) are sound, paint it all white and be prepared to re-do it between lettings.  Don't let any where you bought because you like it, as tenants will break your heart if you like the place.

[/quote]They're already all white but could do with touching up downstairs in the house I live in after I vacate the premises.  I bought the one I live in because I liked it but I'm pretty sick of it now, after trying to sell it for a while.  Thinking about it though, I'd be upset if they wrecked my nice English oak kitchen.....

The other house isn't finished being decorated yet so I haven't put my heart and soul into it and so it should be easier to let go.

So can I just call an electrician and a heating engineer to check that those are up to safety standards or would they just shake their heads and refuse to look at something they hadn't done themselves and just insist on replacing with new?

[quote user="EuroTrash"]There was a whole raft of measures introduced earlier this year to tighten up on the standards of rented accommodation, the loi Alure, so it may have changed since Norman prepared his last contract. I think you have to give the tenant copies of all the diagnostics now.[/quote]

Yes I think you are right. My uncertainty is about how much action you have to take about the results.

I  have a feeling that you aren't obliged to rectify things that the tenants accept, but that is just a feeling and I am open to correction.

If Debra asked an agent about letting the house she could have up to date information even if after she decides to go it alone..

[quote user="NormanH"]http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F12006.xhtml

Conditions relatives à la situation de la personne

L'APL vous est attribuée :

• quelle que soit votre situation familiale, avec ou sans personne à charge,

• quelle que soit votre nationalité, sous réserve de justifier d'un

titre de séjour si vous êtes de nationalité étrangère, ou de remplir les

conditions exigées pour résider régulièrement en France si vous êtes

ressortissant de l'Espace économique européen (EEE) ou suisse,

• quelle que soit votre situation professionnelle.

Aucune condition d'âge minimum n'est exigée. Toutefois, un enfant mineur

émancipé

peut percevoir l'APL à condition que le bail soit à son nom. Pour

l'enfant mineur non émancipé, il est exigé que le bail soit signé ou

cosigné par ses parents, la quittance de loyer pouvant éventuellement

être établie au nom de l'enfant mineur non émancipé. Dans ce cas, l'APL

est versée soit au bailleur lorsqu'il a fait une demande de versement

direct, soit au mineur non émancipé.

[/quote]Thanks for that.  I must be getting tired now as I'm finding it hard taking it in.  Do you think she'd be able to claim this and some sort of living allowance?  I guess there must be something to replace allocation familiales if they're still at school past eighteen?  Not that I'll get that for her anyway (even if I eventually get it for my other kids) as I don't have parental authority for her - and though I'm going through court to get it because apparently she can't just live with me with the permission of her parents but needs a court judgement to do so (I'm separated from her father), there doesn't seem much point in carrying on with it if it drags out past the end of the year......

[quote user="NormanH"]If Debra asked an agent about letting the house she could have up to date information even if after she decides to go it alone..[/quote]I asked an agent and she said 'oh no, you don't want to do that, too many problems with letting - you're much better off trying to sell it' [:)]  ..... and has drastically failed to do so.......