ALLEGEDLY THE WORST VIRUS EVER

I received an email today from a very trusted source in the USA, so I pass it on as it was sent.

WORST VIRUS EVER --- CNN ANNOUNCED

PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST!!

A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive ever. This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee . This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its functioning are stored.

This virus acts in the following manner:
It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with the title:

"A Card for You".

As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened the computer freezes so
that the user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+
del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York, according to news broadcast by CNN.

This alert was received by an employee of Microsoft itself.

So don't open any mails with subject: "A Virtual Card for You." As soon as you ge! t the mail, delete it!! Even if you know the sender !!!

Please pass this mail to all of your friends.

Baz

=

I wouldn't be embarrassed by it - it did what it set out to do, and the more people that see it the more will know not to pass it on in future.

Whenever I get an email like this to my discussion groups I just copy the first sentence and paste it into a Google search.

You can also do the same thing to suspicious essays from students...

[quote user="Dicksmith"]I just copy the first sentence and paste it into a Google search. You can also do the same thing to suspicious essays from students...[/quote]

Funny enough Dick there was a program on the Education or is it Schools Channel on Sky a few nights ago and they were talking about students copying whole essays off the internet. There was also a bit on the program about Google as well. Seems it's a big thing now and they are talking about setting up a 'task force' in the UK to hunt these essays down on the web, making notes and then creating a 'Spot the Web Essay Cheat' sheet for teachers. The bit I particularly liked was one teacher who thought it was OK because in some subjects you had to do research so by finding the bits on Google and copying them showed that the student knew how to carry out research.

What an imbecile! I always ask for a list of bullet points first, then some application of the knowledge rather than 'a report on' so beloved of the USA. We do a couple of lessons on using the internet for historical research.

We did some advanced stuff for history teachers on how to spot bogus sites, which was fascinating. Some far-right groups actually take the trouble to design kid-friendly websites on subjects they are likely to research for homework, such as Martin Luther King, and then pack them with false information and links to indoctrination sites. Nasty stuff.

Coursework is always a tricky one, because any teacher worth their salt can spot when someones' work is far outside their normal performance, but of course in this day and age you have to tread carefully as to how you challenge said student or incur the wrath of the parents, who don't always realise that downloading chunks of someone else's work counts as plagiarism.

[quote user="Dicksmith"]I've never had a problem with that one - or met any teacher who has![/quote]

I've known a few instances where coursework has been far superior to the usual standard of classwork but perhaps they were just pulling out all the stops! I think it is now even a problem a some universities at under graduate level.

I didn't mean the problem of coursework in which a pupil suddenly (and temporarily) reveals a hitherto concealed ability to think logically or to spell, I meant parents complaining when such incredible improvement is commented upon. Heads firmly below the parapet...

I don't know if plagiarism is a virus, but pelagiarism is certainly a heresy.