Broadband internet via satelite?

Hi,

We're moving to the Aveyron soon and are not sure whether the village we're moving to has broadband.  We've heard that it may be possible to obtain broadband internet access via a satelite dish.  Does anybody know whether this is correct, and if so can you point us in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Heather & Jon.

I’d start off by checking if you can get ADSL through your

telephone line.  Loads of web sites

offer checking service (e.g. France Telecom http://www.agence.francetelecom.com/mx/?tp=php&donnee_appel=FTASN&IDCible=1&type=2&code_rubrique=5-185782).  I’d only start thinking about Satellite

(which is expensive and tends to require a telephone line as well) if you

cannot get ADSL.  If you don’t yet have

your telephone number then use somebody elses (e.g. the Marie, a local shop,

neighbours, etc.)

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]

I’d start off by checking if you can get ADSL through your telephone line.  Loads of web sites offer checking service (e.g. France Telecom [/quote]

I have tried checking the FT site on several occasions. It spends some time pondering after I put my phone number in, then simply says something along the lines of "have checked 02********; do you want to check another number?"  No result offered or anything.
As I frequently check in the degrouptest website - only to find the multiple answers "impossible, impossible, impossible" - I am presuming that the FT site is giving me an equally negative answer.

I should say that this is for a residence secondaire in the rural Vendee (the Conseil General boasts 100% broadband throughout the department now!), so I am not wishing to spend a king's ransom on "wi fi". My *commune* is surfing gaily along on broadband, as are my friends in the rest of its satellite hamlets.  It's just my particular hamlet that seems to be in a broadband "black hole".   [:@]

Angela