Networking 2nd PC

I am about to get a new pc, but intend keeping the old one. The oh would like to use it - linked to the communal printer and internet.

I did a bit of research on-line, and completely befuddled myself with lans/ethernet/wi-fi/network cards/transmitters and legions of other techno-babble.

Is it easy to set-up? (for a techno-phobe) Is it expensive? (for a spendo-phobe)

I would prefer a wireless setup. I am with AOL (ADSL).

Any (simple) advice... much appreciated.

Thanks

David

>Is it easy to set-up? (for a techno-phobe) Is it expensive? (for a spendo-phobe)

Yes and not necessarily. BUT

The complexities will depend on what operating system you have. e.g. I have an old w98 machine that is throwing a wobbler with regard to my network but is otherwise fine.

The costs will depend on how much you will do yourself. It can be 'dixons level' easy, but once it goes wrong its like getting lost in a strange city (difficult to get back on the right path).  If you are confident there is a lot of second hand 802.11b kit around going cheep !

(802.11b = geek speak for a type of  wireless set up that is 'so last year '. )

Good luck

John

Wireless networking can be complicated and full of jargon, but a good computer magazine can usually explain it all in simple terms.  Try PC Pro, either through the link below or at www.pcpro.co.uk and enter wireless networking in the search box.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/54707/how-to-set-up-a-wireless-network.html?searchString=wireless+networking+wireless+networking+network+networked+networks

Good luck.

Hi,

Just a quick note AOL software is not quite the same as other service providers i.e a wireless router will only work with their gold and platinum services and not the silver, also the software only permits a cople of models. This info is AOL UK but I suspect AOL France is similar. Someone please correct me if this info doesn't apply in France.

Hope this is usefull

Hyper U sell wifi kits, I have a USB wifi adapter on the desktop along with a wifi laptop and works a treat.

It can be a nightmare to set up but i have a program (free online) that can save you hours getting them to connect.

The kits are about 50 euros for 2 adapters or you can buy single one if needed.
They will either work straight away or you can have hours messing, that computers for you but like I said this program does it for you, its by analogx i think.

When I was with AOL (£2.50 per hour then!) you could use internet explorer, if you still can it should be ok on the connecting pc.

Lee