[quote user="Graham"]

Bassman, I tried this but couldn't make it work. Does it only change to eg "HERE" once you post the reply?

[/quote]

Yes [;-)] before you actually post the reply it will be [*url= thelonglinkythingy]HERE[/url] once posted it will change to [url=long]HERE[/url]

also remember the / in the second [    ]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am thinking of removing Norton, and I will look at their web site for instructions.  For a non techie it does seem rather difficult.

I only have a slow dial up connection, so it will take some time to download AVG, adaware and spybot.

I have windows XP,  and my question is whether I should uninstall Norton before downloading the others.  If so, will my computer be exposed while downloading the replacements?

Many thanks,

David

[quote user="David"]

I too am thinking of removing Norton, and I will look at their web site for instructions.  For a non techie it does seem rather difficult.

I only have a slow dial up connection, so it will take some time to download AVG, adaware and spybot.

I have windows XP,  and my question is whether I should uninstall Norton before downloading the others.  If so, will my computer be exposed while downloading the replacements?

Many thanks,

David

[/quote]

David

If your not too techy you might be able to remove Norton and install the other software but before you do anything do a backup of your existing system that you know is good and that you can restore in the event of something going wrong.

Then do the following.

1. Download the software first and save it somewhere safe. Maybe on an external disk or CD rom.

2. Go to the Norton site and Print the instructions for Norton removal.

3. Disconnect from the internet

4. Follow the instructions for Norton removal.

5. Reboot your system just to make sure all is OK and DONT connect to internet yet.

6. Install the new software.

If any of the above seems too much then get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you.

Fulcrum,

Thanks very much for the advice.  Sorry to be such an idiot, but can you tell me how to download and save the programs somewhere safe?

I thought that when you downloaded, the programs automatically installed themselves on the computer and became active.  At least that seems to be what happens when I click the "go" or "OK" or "Download" (whatever the button is called) button on other downloads.

I already have spybot and adaware, but they are old versions and need uninstalling and new updated programs downloaded.

Many thanks and sorry for the trouble,

David

David

Adaware and Spybot should simply update themselves but AVG cannot be installed whilst you have Norton installed hence the sequence of my instructions. I'm assuming your using the XP firewall.

AVG should give you an option to save the program to your local hard disk.

Can you backup your system and restore it if anything goes wrong with the Norton removal?

Are you going to be using a Norton provided tool for the removal?

Fulcrum,

Tried to update spybot, but program stalled, and I was told to delete first.  It seemed that spybot program on computer would not accept changes.  Probably something I did wrong.  Adaware tells me that I have to uninstall and reinstall, but I havent got round to it yet as Norton and Windows continually update themselves, and I am waiting for them to finish.  Presently windows is downloading something, and after some hours is only 13% finished.  I only have a slow 46 kps dial up connection.

I have the windows firewall activated, but Norton insisted that it was allowed a connection.  I am not sure what happened with spybot and adaware.  All very difficult for a non techie.

My windows and Norton systems seem to continually fight with Wanadoo, who are my internet providers.  My home page is Wanadoo, and I try to check all e-mails on Wanadoo first so that I can delete suspicious ones, before downloading the real ones.  However, while trying to get to the e-mail page on Wanadoo my computer internet connection frequently freezes, or runs very slowly while connected.  It normally takes two to three minutes (really) to connect to the Wanadoo e-mail page, and this slow speed continues while on line, and for example, when trying to post, it frequently takes several minutes, and often I get "page unavailable" and have to try again.  Then I disconnect, run adaware, and try again.

I am hoping that uninstalling Norton will help with this problem.

I think that I can back up the system through the system restore function in Windows XP.

I do not know the best way to remove Norton.  On this thread some say to use the windows uninstall, and accept that some Norton parts will remain, others say go to the Norton site and use their tool.  Would be grateful for advice.

Many many thanks for your advice,

David

p.s. While writing this online, the windows update has gone from 13% to 15%.

You will find that it is not a good idea to do anything else on the computer whilst you are downloading something over a dialup connection.

I suppose your system restore function in Windows XP will be fine recovery. I use windows 2000 so have a separate program to backup and restore.

I used the instructions at the following link to remove Norton Internet Security 2002.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_can_i_fully_remove_norton_antivirus_from_my_system.html

I hope that helps.

Me again - well since putting AVG Free on and saying I didn't have any problems, I now have a problem.  Someone sent me a Trojan BackDoor twice yesterday and, give it it's due, AVG sorted them out.  However, now I keep getting "pop-up" adverts which is so annoying and my main worry is my PC won't shut down - I have to unplug it to turn it off.  So I think there may still be something lurking in the registry - any techies out there got any ideas?

Jan

I can't help Suninfrance, but should point out that since replacing Norton with AVG I have had two viruses/trojan horses found by system scans. I suppose AVG has done its job in finding them, but I can't help feeling a bit unhappy about it letting them in in the first place.

It's so frustrating.  If I hadn't had so much trouble with Norton (they've refunded my money by the way) I'd re-install it.

Had a "pop-up" from Wanadoo telling me about a Beagle virus a couple of minutes ago, so I am now doing yet another system scan.  I wouldn't mind but it takes so long (about 45 mins) on my PC.

I have also now tried 3 times to purchase the full version of AVG but it appears their automated shopping system can't cope with it being paid for with an English bank card and being sent to France, so I arranged to have it sent to my sister-in-law in England, but I got the same message that they couldn't process my order.

[quote user="Suninfrance"]

I have also now tried 3 times to purchase the full version of AVG but it appears their automated shopping system can't cope with it being paid for with an English bank card and being sent to France, so I arranged to have it sent to my sister-in-law in England, but I got the same message that they couldn't process my order.

[/quote]

I had this same problem with PC-Cillin and finally gave up.  I think it's a security measure and the system gets confused because you're using a UK card with a French ISP, so it "assumes" that the card is stolen!

PG

Just to re-kindle this one, I have recently installed a new product from Microsoft called Windows Live Onecare. find it at

http://www.windowsonecare.com/

It is an all encompassing programme, free at present but eventually it will cost about 20$ per year. For this you get an anti-virus, anti-spyware (Windows Defender is part of the whle package), a computer tune-up facility and an automatic back-up facility. It is very 'set and forget', runs in the background and is unobtrusive. You do have to un-install any existing anti-virus software (it does this for you) to avoid conflicts. I keep this now with Ad-Aware SE and Spybot search and destroy as a check, might suit those who aren't 'techies' as its very easy to install and run.

[quote user="bobwils"]

Just to re-kindle this one, I have recently installed a new product from Microsoft called Windows Live Onecare. find it at

http://www.windowsonecare.com/

It is an all encompassing programme, free at present but eventually it will cost about 20$ per year. For this you get an anti-virus, anti-spyware (Windows Defender is part of the whle package), a computer tune-up facility and an automatic back-up facility. It is very 'set and forget', runs in the background and is unobtrusive. You do have to un-install any existing anti-virus software (it does this for you) to avoid conflicts. I keep this now with Ad-Aware SE and Spybot search and destroy as a check, might suit those who aren't 'techies' as its very easy to install and run.

[/quote]

It looks like a very comprehensive product but it might be usefull to read this before trying to download or install it. It's a system requirements page.

http://www.windowsonecare.com/purchase/sysreq.aspx?pf=true

It looks like it will only run on Windows XP SP2