Had a response from Symantec and they will be refunding my money within the next two billing periods !!!

One problem I found with installing Norton alongside another Anti Virus is that Norton failed to function while the other one was running, almost like it was sulking [:(]

Anyway, when downloading AVG, it does run a brief virus check before it starts and then it recommends that you run another check when you've finished installing.  I reckon 9 times out of 10 you will be safe, however, if you do pick up a virus while you've been installing, AVG should be able to rectify it.

I've only been using AVG for a couple of days, but as my PC has speeded up no end, I'm now considering paying for a licence for the full product.

Does anyone else run the full product? 

Jan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Suninfrance"]Had a response from Symantec and they will be refunding my money within the next two billing periods !!![/quote]

Well done!

[quote user="Suninfrance"]I've only been using AVG for a couple of days, but as my PC has speeded up no end, I'm now considering paying for a licence for the full product. Does anyone else run the full product? Jan[/quote]I have run the trial version of the full Monty for a month but I'm too mean to buy it!

I spoke to soon.

Just had to reinstall AVG Free as it switched itself off after I downloaded some updates.  Apparently my internal virus database is "out of date" and the little coloured logo you get at the bottom of your PC screen is now in black, white and grey.

Am I missing something here?

Jan

I would try to manually update - on the other hand, could it be doing a complete scan ? Mine does this automatically every week and updates automatically every day.

Have you clicked on the greyed out icon, does that give any clues?

There is quelle surprise! an AVG forum [:)]

Now I'm getting really frustrated [8o|].  I tried to get onto the AVG forum which I registered for when I downloaded AVG, but it won't let me in.  So I said I'd forgotten my password and they sent me a new one and I still can't get in.  In fact, I can't even get onto the Grisoft page now.

[quote user="Suninfrance"]Now I'm getting really frustrated [8o|].  I tried to get onto the AVG forum which I registered for when I downloaded AVG, but it won't let me in.  So I said I'd forgotten my password and they sent me a new one and I still can't get in.  In fact, I can't even get onto the Grisoft page now. [/quote]

Worth checking before anything else: if you're using a firewall, is it set to let the AVG program use the internet?

[quote user="Suninfrance"]I've just downloaded the 30 day trial of AVG, but my little logo on the bottom is still grey as opposed to coloured.  Currently doing a scan.  Will let you know how I get on.[/quote]

Reason why the icon is grey-out: the computer might need a restart.

When I first started using AVG, I was concerned that I had to restart my PC after every

update. I have now reset the update manager to finish the update on

next restart.

To check if this might be the case (after the scan):

1. click on the AVG icon
  2. double-click on Update Manager
  3. under the properties tag, select "update immediately" and then "complete at next computer restart"

Solved my internal virus database problem, my calender was reading 29th May [:$]. I've corrected that now.   However, I now have a new problem in that because the calender is now on the right date, the AVG licence doesn't start until 29th May !!!!

I feel a Mars Bar coming on ..................

Never, ever, ever, ever,  install Norton if your PC has a Computer Associates AV prog installed as you WILL end up with a non-functioning PC, believe me it happened to me and about 3 weeks later my father -in-law [:$]

The whole PC just locks up and it won't even let you into anything to un-install[:(] Luckily my mate is a techie and talked me through how to get it back, which involves re-starting in safe mode and deliberatley corrupting files[:O]

It made me look good though when my f-i-l did the same with his brand new 1 day old PC [:)] I went over and within 15 minutes had it back up and running fine [;)] he now thinks I'm a genius [H] instead of just lcuky enough to remember what to do LOL

Is anybody using the paid for version of AVG? What benefits does it actually offer over the basic version, which seems very good?

I know I can download a trial version, but it looks like a very big file which will take forever so if it doesn't really add anything I don't want to bother (at least not until I am next in England and can use our broadband connection). 

If you can get useful things, like, for example, priority updates then I will happily pay for it - AV software is such an important tool that it's money well spent.

[quote user="Will "]Is anybody using the paid for version of AVG? What benefits does it actually offer over the basic version, which seems very good? I know I can download a trial version, but it looks like a very big file which will take forever so if it doesn't really add anything I don't want to bother (at least not until I am next in England and can use our broadband connection). If you can get useful things, like, for example, priority updates then I will happily pay for it - AV software is such an important tool that it's money well spent. [/quote]

The trial full version does take a while to download, but it is very complete. At the end of the 30 days, it just askes if you want to buy and if no, it reverts to the free verson.without any problem in about 1mn.

You don't get "priority treatment" during the trial and I don't have the full version so cannot say...

Oh what a mess.  I thought after my last "operater error" re: not having the date set right on my PC, I would be able uninstall AVG Trial and re-install with the correct date.  This does not work.  I used their uninstall, and when I went to re-install, it told me I already had a version on my PC.  So after restarting the PC I uninstalled using the "Add/Remove Programme".  Restart the computer, try and install again, and I still have a version on my PC.  Uninstalled yet again, used my Window Washer to delete my tracks.  So I'm back onto AVG Free at the moment.

Sorry Gay, the Mars Bar won and so did half a bottle of red last night.  In a couple of days, I may try and re-install AVG Trial but at the moment I just can't face it. 

[quote user="Spg"][quote user="Miggimeggi"][quote user="sid"]

[/quote]

Thank you very much for that tip Sid.  I dumped Norton (supplied pre-loaded with my new computer) several months ago but was left with bits & pieces that wouldn't go with XP uninstall programmes.  Found the tools to which you refer few minutes ago, ran the programme and it seems to have worked for me too. Great.!!!!!!

Anne

[/quote]

Hi

Could someone please direct me to whereabouts you found the tools to uninstall all those rogue bits and pieces of Norton? I have looked at the Symantec site but not found the tools you mention.

I want to uninstall Norton from my OH's laptop and should like to be forearmed before I attempt this as I had such an awful time when I uninstalled 2003 from my pc last year - it is still not quite right. 

Thanks

Sue

[/quote]

Hi Sue,

Sorry I did not  see this post before now.  Try this link http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2004092711224136?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2001090510510636&nsf=nip.nsf&view=16c1d01d537bf4d188256d8e0076b346&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg=ag 

I know it is huge but it just as I copied it from the address bar at the site.

It should take you to the page from which I started to uninstall the last bits of Norton from my computer.  Someone said "don't" but I removed it about 3 days ago and so far, have noticed no ill effects.   Not being an expert, I just followed the instructions very carefully and, naturally, did not continue to the part about reinstalling Norton.

Anne

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Miggimeggi"]Hi Sue, Sorry I did not  see this post before now. Try this link http://tinyurl.com/mewd3

I know it is huge but it just as I copied it from the address bar at the site. Anne[/quote]

2 useful sites to make long links shorter:

http://tinyurl.com/create.php

http://makeashorterlink.com/

[/quote]

Wow!  Clair I didn't know you could do that, it's really clever and I have bookmarked them.  Thank you very much.

Anne

This also works

[*url=yourverylonglinktosomethingyou want to post] short link[/url]

if you remove the * in the first [] it produces this

[url=yourverylonglinktosomethingyouwant to post]shortlink[/url]

so

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/3/649371/ShowPost.aspx#649371

becomes

[*url=http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/3/649371/ShowPost.aspx#649371]HERE[/url]

becomes

[url=http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/3/649371/ShowPost.aspx#649371]HERE[/url]

without the * to stop it working [;-)]

[quote user="Miggimeggi"][quote user="Spg"][quote user="Miggimeggi"][quote user="sid"]

[/quote]

Thank you very much for that tip Sid.  I dumped Norton (supplied pre-loaded with my new computer) several months ago but was left with bits & pieces that wouldn't go with XP uninstall programmes.  Found the tools to which you refer few minutes ago, ran the programme and it seems to have worked for me too. Great.!!!!!!

Anne

[/quote]

Hi

Could someone please direct me to whereabouts you found the tools to uninstall all those rogue bits and pieces of Norton? I have looked at the Symantec site but not found the tools you mention.

I want to uninstall Norton from my OH's laptop and should like to be forearmed before I attempt this as I had such an awful time when I uninstalled 2003 from my pc last year - it is still not quite right. 

Thanks

Sue

[/quote]

Hi Sue,

Sorry I did not  see this post before now.  Try this link http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2004092711224136?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2001090510510636&nsf=nip.nsf&view=16c1d01d537bf4d188256d8e0076b346&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg=ag 

I know it is huge but it just as I copied it from the address bar at the site.

It should take you to the page from which I started to uninstall the last bits of Norton from my computer.  Someone said "don't" but I removed it about 3 days ago and so far, have noticed no ill effects.   Not being an expert, I just followed the instructions very carefully and, naturally, did not continue to the part about reinstalling Norton.

Anne

[/quote]

Anne

Thanks for the info. As I said I am proposing to uninstall Norton on my OH's laptop and as his is newer and more shiny than my old pc I am taking every precaution I can before I face the task.

Sue

Sue

Apologies for not replying to your query for the Norton tools, I've been away for a few days.

I see that Anne has provided the link for you, and I've also learnt some useful tips for shortening links in the process!

Regards

Sid

Bassman, I tried this but couldn't make it work. Does it only change to eg "HERE" once you post the reply? Even without the star mine doesn't change to a link. Can it be used in other documents like e-mail? Could the problem be due to the way I have set up Internet Explorer (I am running Win98 by the way).

Its so good I'd really like to make it work! Thanks,