Long-term let wanted in/around Avignon area

Hi there, we're going on a French adventure, starting in August. We need a one-year let on a property somewhere in/around Avignon (within ~45 minutes drive). Any recommendations on helpful estate agents or do you know of anyone looking for one-year tenants? We are a family of 4, looking for a 3-bed minimum place with outside space. Flexible on most other things.

Any help, suggestions, advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

Le Bon Coin is your friend here but be advised that renting in France is near on impossible without the right paperwork. That invariably involves 3-6 months payslips proving you are employed on a CDI contract within a French company. It is tough renting in France. Even for the French.

Before planning your big adventure, think about schooling. How old are your kids ? Are they at the right age ?

thanks so much alittlebitfrench!

Yes it is proving very difficult through estate agents. We have a trip planned for next week - hoping to view some properties - but all agents seem to be saying what you've said. We have a couple of leads the au bon coin. Re kids - the eldest is 5 (would be going into year one in September if in UK... he's just finishing reception now) - the one school we have spoken to says he would go into Maternelle (he's 6 next March). And our youngest is 2.5... definitely Maternelle for him. Any school tips also appreciated. Current understanding is that once we have found a place to live we register with the Mairie and get allocated a school.... but nonetheless we want to visit one or 2 schools in our preferred location next week.

It is all proving to be pretty tricky.

We'll get there though.

Thanks again.

There is no workaround regarding the renting situation if you go through agencies. So you have to go private.

The downside with going private is that the house will probably be a complete dump. Also, the landlord may not be so compliant when things go wrong in the house.

My advice when renting in France is to rent off an agency.

Welcome to France ! You can't win.

At least your kids are at the right age to move. Any older and it would be a no no for me.

Good luck.

Why Avignion ?

Albf wrote : The downside with going private is that the house will probably be a complete dump.

A good chance it might be but then you simply don't rent it if it's that bad☺ You do have a choice.

Our private rental was fine, in fact better than that, but then we come across as normal, straightforward people .. plus we speak French, which is always a plus.

@Suein56

Of course you don't have to rent, but if you looking to rent within the catchment of a 'good' school then your choice is going to be even more limited.

In fact really, the OP should identify the 'good' school first and then find a house. Schooling is the most important issue here.

The OP is looking for something 45 mins from Avignon but that won't get you very far. Especially in the summer with all the traffic. I reckon that is 20-30 km's max from the city !!! That area is a nightmare in holiday season. So there are not many places to choose from.

I would not go rural. I think a suburb of Avignon is a much better idea. Especially with kids.

Here is a site if the OP is still about. Plenty to choose from to rent directly from the owner around Avignon.

Got a horrible feeling though you have to pay with this site to contact the owner.

https://www.entreparticuliers.com/annonces-immobilieres/location/maison/avignon-84000

If it's only for a year are you wanting furnished or unfurnished ?

If furnished then it is possible someone might rent you their gite for a year .. otherwise French rentals adverts go by the square metre and the total number of rooms excluding kitchen and bathroom(s); so 3 beds plus lounge/dining room is 4 pièces at around 70/80 to 100 m2 for the whole.

I may be one of just a few on here who knows the area reasonably well.

Living as we do in the Gard, that’s the bit we know, so there are without doubt very nice places in the Vaucluse that I can’t comment on. However ....... Villeneuve-les-Avignon, Rochefort, Roquemaure, Tavel, Lirac, St Hilaire d’Ozilhan are all nice places that are worth a look and fit your 45 min travel time.

No idea whatsoever re schooling quality in any of those places and nobody on here is going to be able to help either ......... but for just a year, its rather doubtful whether any seriously long term educational damage would occur if any one school was less than perfect !

The gite suggestion is a good one, but with just weeks to go until high season, there probably won’t be much available.

There are several good agents in Villeneuve and their ‘tentacles’ spread out quite far from there - if it was me, I’d make appointments for next week (don’t just turn up, it doesn’t work like that here) and see what they can suggest.

As ALBF says, August in Avignon will be busy, but far from impossible. It’ll calm down from mid-Aug when most of the Parisians go home!

Thanks so much Gardian - this is super useful. Yes good point re schooling - he's still so young... another reason it won't really make a massive amount of difference just for a year.

Thanks for the suggestions re alternatives to Avignon proper. VdA is definitely on our list... smaller towns are definitely an option too... we don't want to be too "in the sticks"... what with young family. Any views on Uzes?

Uzes is an absolutely lovely place ........ but we haven’t set foot there for several years.

Its just that its very, very busy & that doesn’t suit Mrs G these days. Don’t be put off though, but you’d be v much on your 45 min limit for travelling, + it’s undoubtedly pricey for anything property-wise there.

Go there though & make your own decisions. If you could find something to suit your budget, there are few better places to be.