Any one any ideas, brought aol with me and have it running on dial up here if france, was on broadband in uk and would like same here and know house has broadband as previous occupnat had, but no go, could it be uk modem, replies very welcome or is this a non starter

Have you subscribed to a broadband ISP in France. With ADSL you cannot just plug-in a (ADSL) modem and go. France Telecom have to patch you line to your ISP equipment at the exchange. This is organised (and paid for) by your ISP when you subscribe to their broadband service. It can take several days (France Telecom quote something like 10, but often quicker). Similarly I would expect (though do not know) that AOL France is a different company to AOL UK and that having an account with e.g. AOL UK does not give you access I France. AOL France will expect to be taking some of your money.

Also, your UK ADSL modem may or may not work, depending on exactly what protocols it supports. Many do but not all. You need to be able to configure it to VPI/VCI 8.35 (some will auto configure, some require manual configuration and some do not support it) However, even with this you will need to take out some subscription first.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

" Similarly I would expect (though do not know) that AOL France is a different company to AOL UK and that having an account with e.g. AOL UK does not give you access I France. AOL France will expect to be taking some of your money. "

I have AOL broadband in UK and access AOL in France by dial up at no extra cost, using my UK account. I know this doesn't apply in all areas of France but it works for me in Dept. 80.

AOL told me I could do the same using broadband. My village has ADSL but can I just request the line without having another ISP thrust upon me?

I have searched the forum and this thread is the nearest to my question.

Can anyone help?

Thank you

[quote user="sommebay"]

My village has ADSL but can I just request the line without having another ISP thrust upon me?

I have searched the forum and this thread is the nearest to my question.

Can anyone help?

Thank you

[/quote]

My understanding is that your ISP has to request France Telecom connect your ADSL to them (rather than any other ISP).  Thus you would have to contact AOL to get the line connected.  I dn’t know AOL, but I doubt AOL UK could ask France Telecom for the ADSL connection.  I would think AOL France would need to do that.  I guess you will need to discuss it with them.  Most ISPs tend to not want to spend too much time on “special cases” as they work on low margins and too much “sales effort” costs.  Best to cjeck with them though.

Ian

I can access Wanadoo france in the UK at no extra cost.  Its because I don't pay the ISP bill of the PC that I'm accessing it from.[:)]

If you were accessing AOL France in the UK, somebody as paying for it.  Anybody can access any ISP site provided they have internet access but you were not accessing AOL France directly from the UK unlesss you altered the dial up to a French number.   Personally unless you have young kids who you want to protect from naughties on the internet I would avoid AOL like the plaque, its the most invasive ISP in the world.