Insurance for renting an apartment for my daughter

woody

I am currently resident in France (Burgundy) and own a property here.
I have a comprehensive home insurance policy via Credit Mutuel. (reading and understanding is a bit like wading thru treacle)

Next year my daughter of 17 is going to school in Besancon and will be renting an apartment in Besancon.

I recently came across an article about renting which says:
"If you are a French resident, no problem, your home insurance covers you when you rent in France. But if you are not French-resident you need adequate personal liability insurance to rent a house. The rental contract you sign will ask for this."

Can anyone tell me if my home insurance policy would cover her for renting the apartment in Besancon.
ie. am I ok to believe that the article I read is true?

We have rented many times whilst owning a house and have always needed a separate policy.

Maybe it is a student thing ????

Just be careful with Beçanson, there are good places and bad places.The city is not how it used to be.

Not sure I would let my 17 year old live there alone. Well I would not actually.

I know Besçanson very well.

I own a house and a flat, and I recently rented another flat for a while.
In each case I have needed a separate policy, although you could use the same insurer that you use already.

I chose a separate insurer each time as the bank that gave me the credit to buy the second flat sold me a policy

Take no notice of anything albf says.
He just says silly things to upset and irritate, and if challenged shows total  ignorance of the topic.

I would take notice of ALBF given he is staying right now on holiday with two French Aunties who have lived all there life in Besancon. One of whom worked at the university.

@ JSKs

ALBF is on holiday in rural France at the moment and confined to using a mobile phone that ivarrably means standing at the bottom on the garden on a chair on one leg to get a signal. Appologigies for the spelling. That means also of that the person you have just banned on your site was not me.

Back to Besancon. It is my favourite city in France but I would would be hessitate to a let a young student of that age alone in Besancon. Even if they were French.

Yours..

Streetwise ALBF.

French home insurance on a main home normally includes third party liability or "responsabilité civile" cover on the policyholder's own holiday rentals, also any halls or party venues you hire, also any damage you cause whilst a guest in other people's homes, things like that.

I would be surprised if it covers a long-term rental that one member of the family is going to actually live in.

ET wrote : French home insurance on a main home normally includes third party liability or "responsabilité civile" cover on the policyholder's own holiday rentals, also any halls or party venues you hire, also any damage you cause whilst a guest in other people's homes, things like that.

I would be surprised if it covers a long-term rental that one member of the family is going to actually live in.

My thoughts exactly ..

It does cover students renting elsewhere, my Ă©tudiants have to give me an attestation from their parents insurers, I have had a few but most when they ask get conned into taking out a separate Policy, more fool them but thats how things work, they get told, they believe, they get ripped off.

I definitely have had them that have been a standard cover extension on the parents Policy and it has cost them nothing, the others probably got sold on dubious added benefits or simply lied to.

So the OP only has to ask their insurer for an attestation for their

offspring's new appartment. IF they are not covered, for any reason then

the insurer will tell not issue an attestation, and separate insurance

will be needed. Simple really, nez pah!

Our youngest is at FAC in student accommodation. They will not give him the key to the room unless he provides them with a copy of his own insurance. This is a separate policy to our French house insurance. The only insurance certificate given out in conjunction with the house policy is the " attestation d’assurance scolaire" which with our policy is free, although some charge you.