Does anyone know the Wanadoo ADSL modem connection settings?

I have Wanadoo ADSL via the Sagem F@st 800 modem.  Unfortunately, when I ran the modem's installation CD, it also installed Wanadoo software that I don't like (and that I suspect will give me headaches when I am connecting outside of France).

I understand that it is possible to uninstall the Wanadoo software and connect manually through the modem  if you have all the correct connection settings.  I have our login name and mot de passe, but don't have a dial-up number and can't find it anywhere on the Wanadoo website.

Have any of you done this?  Do you know the settings I need?  Don't know if it's pertinent, but I'm running WinXP SP2 on a laptop.

I'd be very grateful for assistance on this.

I was in a similar position, but left the wandoo software in place and so far, it has not caused trouble. However, I understand your feelings, so will email the properties for you to look at if you like? PM me with an email address if interested.

John

"You really don't need the wanadoo software and in fact it puts lots of unnecessary software on your system
If you have the account name and password and ADSL filter you can connect straight away.
Just open firefox or explorer and plug the router into your PC.
put 192.168.0.1 into the browser and your now inside the router.
Go to basic settings and put in your password etc."
The above advice was given to me by bigjimbishop and it works, as far as I know you do not have a telephone number for ADSL but you do need the filter in the line and you will probably need one for each telephone connection you have in use. It is a "plug into the telephone socket device" and when I installed my livebox it was the only way I could get it to work but the real advantage of the livebox or other WiFi system is that any laptop which is Wifi enabled can connect to the internet without wanadoo software, your house to the range of the WiFi router/modem becomes a "Hotspot". Let me know how you go,

Regards Mal Preston

[quote user="tenniswitch"]

Have any of you done this?  Do you know the settings I need? 

I'd be very grateful for assistance on this.

[/quote]

This is what you need (along with your username and password) -

Country - service

VPI

VCI

Protocol

Encapsulation

France*

PPPoA

LLC

I would also invest 50 euros in a proper ADSL modem

[quote user="Buntina"]

This is what you need (along with your username and password) -

Country - service

VPI

VCI

Protocol

Encapsulation

France*

PPPoA

LLC

I would also invest 50 euros in a proper ADSL modem

[/quote]

Thanks, Buntina, I'll try those settings.  Two more questions: why do you suggest replacing the Sagem F@st modem (which seems to work okay) and what modem do you recommend?

Many thanks again.  Those settings were exactly what I needed to know.  Finally got the courage to dump the Wanadoo software today, and, heureusement, everything seems to be working properly.  I'm even downloading the email from my Wanadoo account (which I only use to get messages from "About-to-be-Orange") through Outlook Express!

At the risk of putting this question back a step or two, may I ask a simple question of those with ADSL in France.

We had a Wanadoo dial-up account and want to change to ADSL. Phoned English speaking FT line and arranged a new contract for ADSL. Box with modem, CD and booklets and leaflets arrived promptly but we left for the UK before there was time to set it up but continued using the dial-up sytem.

The day we left the dial-up stopped working and would not reinstall, I made a guess that the ADSL line had been installed and the dial-up wouldn't work on that line???

We return to France in a few days and want to install our ADSL modem but without the disc if possible, so have noted the info on this thread, but one large question remains.

The data for the connection are listed above, but where do the username and password come from? The only documents with the kit were booklets and leaflets on usage, but no code names/numbers.

Does anyone have any idea or is it possible that we continue to use the old dial-up details?

Many thanks for any help

Jamie

My user name and password were on a sheet I got from FT when I signed up (but I did it in person at an FT store).  They may be the same as you had for your dial-up account. 

A friend of mine who switched from FT dial-up to ADSL had fogotten her user name and password but was able to get them by calling FT Wanadoo customer service.  The number I have for that is 3900.  Select option 1, and then select option 2 on the annoying automated menu to reach a service tech.  I warn you that most of these techs speak only French.  You may have a number for English-language customer service. 

[quote user="Babnik"] They may have closed your account though!

[/quote]

I understand from friends who did this that, if you switch from Wanadoo dialup to Wanadoo ADSL then the dialup account is cancelled immediately (yes, that does leave you without access for a few days until the ADSL is up & running.

I recently changed from Wanadoo dial up to Wanadoo ADSL and was able to retain my dialup connection whilst sorting things out. As another poster stated you can use dialup through the ADSL line but make sure your not trying to use the ADSL as well as that takes priority and you will find your dialup will be very slow.

The ADSL username and password should be the same as you used for dialup. However on ADSL the username and password are held in the ADSL modem whereas on dialup they are contained in the dialup networking software on your computer.