Windows XP, the vanishing restore points.

Having diligently set up several restore points via Windows XP recently I was surprised on checking to find none (except the one I had just set up) were shown. It was also not possible to move back to the preceding month to check any there. Has anyone any idea why they would be wiped out or who has been stealing them?

Hi,

There is a lot of info in the Help and Support Centre on System Restore, however if you have turned off System Restore or exceeded the allocated space on your hard drive for System Restore (this will turn it off) when it is turned on again all your restore points are lost.  I suggest you browse the Help centre the answer to your specific problem may be there.

Best of Luck

hi

some Windows updates - which can be set to run automatically - can remove restore points as the update makes changes to the Windows configuration that cannot be restored. However, spend some time looking through the Help & Support Centre resource and check your settings as previously suggested.

HTH

regards

Thanks Tel (from one retired fire officer to another)! System restore is on and there is over 3 meg of disk space devoted to restore points so it is neither of them. It may be that Windows updates are somehow deleting them.

Regards

Bob Wilson