Wireless Network via Livebox

Hi,

I've had my Livebox for a couple of months and have been successfully accessing the internet with my laptop.

Having bought another laptop for my wife, I've managed to get both of them accessing the internet, but can't seem to set up a wireless network via the Livebox. I can't see anything in the instructions that suggests it's possible, but I'm sure the salesman at France Telecom told me it was possible.

Has anyone here managed to set up a wireless network via the Livebox - or should I be pleased I've got as far as I have?

Thanks in advance

Charlie

We've been using our Livebox for Wi-Fi since we got it with no problems.  If your computers have wireless cards, they should automatically find the signal from the Livebox.  You will have to put in certain information (I know the MAC address is one bit, can't remember the rest off-hand) but I would go to the Wanadoo site and search their FAQ.  It will probably give you all the details.

Unlike a lot of people here, we've had no problems with our Livebox and are very happy with the connection we've got.

PG

Ive had probs with wifi, one min I can get em to communicate next - no chance, ive since found a program that solves all messing, its a little prog by analogx called proxy, download that (free) install and give your main pc an ip (ie. 192.168.0.1) enter this into the proxy prog and viola (hopefully)

But you say you can get internet on both, is this seperately or together?
First get your main pc online with a wifi card installed then communicate via wifi - adhoc.

Lee

Another thing to look out for if you're having problems getting the wi-fi connection to work, is where in your house the modem is in relation to the computers.

In our house, if the modem is on any floor, the computers work fine if the signal only has to go straight up and down (ground floor to third floor, for example) but works less well if it has to go from front to back, especially with a floor in-between.  That's because each story is separated by wooden floors, but there are usually stone walls in between front and back, which tends to block the signal.

We had the same problem with our wireless thermostat.

PG

We've got 2 laptops and a desktop all connected wirelessly via the livebox plus the printer too.

Make sure both your laptops are near the livebox when setting up and that both your laptops hard drives have sharing enabled  (to do this go to explorer and right click on your hard drive and click on sharing and then enable this.

Also make sure you've entered the correct WAP (I think it's WAP) for the livebox and press the 1 button on the back of the live box to pair the laptops to the network.

Also make sure your wifi aerial on your laptops is on if you have an HP laptop. There should be a button on the laptop somewhere that

turns this off and on (we spent hours last week trying to get one of our laptops on our network after accidentally turning this off without even knowing it existed).

As mentioned previously the wireless may not work if you are in a different area of the house to the livebox. My laptop won't work via the network if it on adifferent floor to the livebox but the wifes laptop does.

Hope some of these suggestions help.

Sorry this is a bit late, but if you want the instructions in English then have a look at this site  http://help.orange.co.uk/categoryBrowse.do . It has a box in which you trype your question i.e. 'how do I install livebox' hit the find button and if it don't time out it gives you the answer in English. You can find out how to do the reset, what the lights mean, setting up a wireless connection and if you really get screwed up how to access the livebox configuration pages. Been there, done that!! [geek]. If all else fails the U.K. help desk may help too...

John.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your comments, alas, I'm still struggling.

I've got two laptops set up to the livebox, both by wireles connection and both can access the internet at the same time, so I think, in principle, the livebox and signal are fine. The problem is setting up the network between the two laptops. I thought there might be a networking setup procedure in the livebox setup but, having rerun the installation on both, I can't see anything.

The only remaining option I can see is to try to set the network up via Windows XP. In doing so, I definitely enable file and printer sharing but towards the end I get an error message that directs me here:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D2057&spid=global&query=871122&adv=

Has anyone else here had this trouble?

It appears to me that Lynda&Richard have something similar to what I'm trying to do. How did you set your network up - was it via livebox install or Windows XP?

Once again, thank you all for your help.

Charlie

If both laptops are connected to the livebox and on the net, you should have a network too. Have you made sure that your laptop hard drives are shared? Right click on each hard drive in windows explorer and go to sharing and make sure this is enabled. Run the set up home or small office network wizard and follow the prompts. You should then be able to access each laptop. Give it a couple of minutes to find the network though.

We set up one laptop via livebox install, although we stopped the process before the software side was installed (the bit just after entering the ftp password). The other laptop has a built in wireless card and we set this up manually.

Hope this helps.