?s on getting set up on net

Hello

Sorry to be so dull but, although I’ve used computers for years in GB, am completely foxed by getting set up on net in France. Am going to ask some very basic questions, I’m afraid. My French is not marvellous, particularly when it comes to technical jargon. I have spent hours looking at the sites of Tiscali, Orange etc, but frankly am none the wiser. Grateful for any help.

I have a laptop that I am taking from GB. It is wireless enabled. I don’t know at this stage how much time I shall spend in France, so am looking to compare benefits of pay-as-you-go net and other ISP inclusive services. Orange are doing an offer on Livebox net, TV and phone. As far as the phone aspect is concerned, does that price include the line rental I currently pay or just the (virtually) unlimited calls etc? Would I have to set up a system to make those calls, not just use my phone as normal? What exactly is a Livebox? Do I need to be in a Broadband area to use one? If so, would that Orange offer not be appropriate for me?, How can I find out if my small village has Broadband? If it doesn’t, what sort of internet service would I need? Which ISP provider could give that service?

Matters are further confused in that I know nothing about WiFi, and this is the first enabled laptop I have bought. Read the manual quickly yesterday and it tells me I must not connect to a digital phone line as it will damage laptop. That has scared me stiff. How do I find out if I have a digital line in France?

I am sure this is all much more simple than it seems. I’d be very grateful for an answer which assumes no prior knowledge and is very basic.  All I want really is to be able to surf the net.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Loire

I can't answer all of that but:

Some ISPs (fournisseurs d'Internet) include line rental but you need to be in an area where 'dégroupage' is possible, i.e. where they can take over your line from France Telecom.  Otherwise you have to continue to pay about 15 euros a month rental to FT.

If your village does not have broadband connectivity you will be stuck with using a dial-up modem and the Orange offer would not be appropriate.  Without broadband I do not think you can use wi-fi.

The Livebox is a wireless enabled modem that Orange provide to connect you on broadband to the Internet, TV and telephone.  We are with Free and their equivalent is called the Freebox. Livebox is described in English here.

To find out if you have broadband you can usually put in either a phone number for the village, or the postcode for the village, on the website of any of the ISPs and they will tell you what offers are available.

Loire,

You're going to need to be quick. I think the offer you refer to expires 05/07/06.

It includes the Livebox rent free for 12 months (normally 3euro p/m), 1mb ADSL connection, free line update, and the virtually cost free calls via a telephone connected to the Livebox.

You will still need to pay your line rental in addition to Orange's charges.

Go to: http://www.orange.fr/bin/frame.cgi?u=http%3A//abonnez-vous.orange.fr/residentiel/hd/Internet1MegaMax.aspx

On the right of the window enter your telephone number and Department number, click OK and Orange perform a line test and open a new page with the options available.

The TV add-on, assuming the service is available, requires an additional modem which is purchased from Orange. Channel choice is a bit like Sky - you get the basics for nowt, and pay extra for what takes your fancy!

Hope this is helpful.