Problem recording on French DVD from English Television

Have just purchased a Digitek HDD DVD Combo Recorder which is Pal/Secam compatible. Connected to English television (scart leads) via English digibox. Television is fine and can play DVDs but cant record because it has an inbuilt TV tuner and instructions say a Channel Setup has to be created. I have tried the automated scan but no channels are found. There doesnt seem to be anyway to set them up manually or just record what we are watching. I would be very grateful for any help [8-)]

hi Poppy

have you connected the aerial lead to the DVD recorder?( Apologies if you have already done this.) This may be the reason it can't tune into any channels as it isn't receiving a transmitted TV signal otherwise. The SCART is just allowing sound and vision to flow between TV and DVD recorder.

Also, you ought to have an option to select the tuning system either by country or by a letter representing a country - think it's I for UK.... not sure but no doubt someone will correct me?

HTH

Andy

Can you not record from the SCART input (there must be one, you will need another SCART cable) connect to the "VCR"  socket on the digibox. What have you got connected to the aerial input of the recorder? If nothing, then this is why it can't find any channels! The SCART input must be selected manually (probably called "AV" or "SCART").

That help?

Been fiddling for a couple of days so couldnt quite remember what I actually had connected.

Setup is Scart from Digibox to Euro AV Output TV on Recorder. Instructions say connect to EuroAV In/Out but I get no response at all from Recorder if I do this. Also have scart from Digibox to Television. Lead from satellite is still going into Digibox but have cable from OUT to IN on Recorder.

Have made some progress on Channel search I am picking up the prog I am watching but cant store anymore. Is this something to do with AV In /Out or with a Sky Box can I just record channel I am watching.

Thanks Again

My recorder is a Sony, so this may be irrelevant, but I had trouble at first because I hadn't set the right line-in. I could see pictures but not record them, then when I sussed that it was all fine. The trouble was that the machine reset itself every time I turned it off, and I hadn't realised.

" Is this something to do with AV In /Out or with a Sky Box can I just record channel I am watching "

Unless you buy a second Skybox or Digital Receiver and an LNB with two heads you can only record the channel the box is tuned into. Although the receiver has a tuner it can only tune in Terrestrial TV.

Thanks for the tip Dick haven't switched off since I 'made progress' so will make lots of notes before I pull the plug.

Thanks also Anton . Will stop fiddling for the minute and record the one channel. Info re second box and LNB is very useful will give it a try.

Many thanks to everyone for your input. Have been pulling my hair out for a couple of days, very new to DVD recording. Bought the recorder in the Carrefour sale half price 150 Euros, DVD rw, DVD player and HDD 160gb. Very pleased with it now that thanks to the Forum  I have it set up [:D]