buying tv in france.

what are advantages of 16/9 format over 4/3?

I need a new set and have looked at thomson 27lb030bs which i am told is smallest you can buy in this format.-27"

Next are internet purchases safe and wise for an expensive purchase.?

16:9 is the better shape for films and many modern TV broadcasts; 4:3 is the old format of cathode ray tubes.  With 4:3 when viewing some programmes you either get a cut off picture (screen filled but not showing the sides of the shot) or you view in a 'letterbox' with the top and bottom screen blacked out.  If you really want to bore yourself here's a history of screen sizes:

Screen Size

I've bough loads of stuff, large and small, online and never had a problem.

thanks cassis -i even read the history which was a real interest once you re-read some pieces.

the thomson set i saw with good picture and zoom facilities etc,. was an interesting possibility but i do not know the company but believe it is made in china.have you or any one else any views on this brand/

i note internet buying can be much cheaper but i have a wife who wants to be able to return a problemset locally etc.

i did see a company near nice advertising huge reductions.they were called UBALDI.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES .

You'll be hard pressed to find anything other than top-of-the range stuff that's not made in China these days!  From what I've seen in the shops, Thomson looks like a very popular, decent middle range brand of audio-video kit, mainly televisions dvds and home cinema.  I think I've seen phones and MP3 players as well.  Strikes me as slightly under Philips price-wise but I'm afraid I haven't any practical experience of them.  A lot of our acquaintances have them.

Kelkoo France is very good for comparing prices of goods online, by the way.

hi

we had a thomson set for some time. very good quality picture, usual features like some and format control were easy to use AND it was PAL & SECAM compatible!! We have a simple Thomson VCR in France and this has always been relaible and gives a good picture.

I beleive Thomson is a french owned company so if you ever need any after sales service it ought to be easy to contact them.

HTH

[quote user="Andrewjspencer"]hi
I beleive Thomson is a french owned company so if you ever need any after sales service it ought to be easy to contact them.
[/quote]

In fact Thomson is part of the TTE Corporation a global company with their HO in China. They manufacture TV's under Thomson, RCA and TCL and  is in fact the world's largest TV company in volume. Like you Andy, I have had a widescreen  Thomson TV for some time and it is reliable with very good picture quality. Servicing should not be a problem as their are many dealers in France and most of Europe.

Baz

[quote user="Ab"]

thanks cassis -i even read the history which was a real interest once you re-read some pieces.

the thomson set i saw with good picture and zoom facilities etc,. was an interesting possibility but i do not know the company but believe it is made in china.have you or any one else any views on this brand/

i note internet buying can be much cheaper but i have a wife who wants to be able to return a problemset locally etc.

i did see a company near nice advertising huge reductions.they were called UBALDI.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES .

[/quote]

Give Thomson a miss, I had one just for using the my playstation and it died a very early death, after very little use, and I mean little.

No, only the mushy ones [:)]

We have 3 Thomson  TV's here, bought at the same time in a winter sale and all 70cm screens (6 years old).

One of them packed up at 13 months (sales goods from this particular

fairly widely known store means 12 month guarantees only, even though

the guff with the TV said 2 years, you just can't beat the quality of

the SAV in France eh !) and the start up gizmo was replaced at a cost of 1100

Francs, it has been OK since.

The other two (touch wood) are going

strong and all three still have an excellent picture, they are for

French TV, UK TV terrestrial from Jersey and Sky Satellite.

[quote user="Miki"]

We have 3 Thomson  TV's here, bought at the same time in a winter sale and all 70cm screens (6 years old).

One of them packed up at 13 months (sales goods from this particular

fairly widely known store means 12 month guarantees only, even though

the guff with the TV said 2 years, you just can't beat the quality of

the SAV in France eh !) and the start up gizmo was replaced at a cost of 1100

Francs, it has been OK since.

The other two (touch wood) are going

strong and all three still have an excellent picture, they are for

French TV, UK TV terrestrial from Jersey and Sky Satellite.

[/quote]

So that's what your signature is really about.  Nothing to do with Meatloaf at all.