Internet acting up?

Is anyone having problems accessing various URLs on the net today?  This forum comes up with no problems, but about 75% of the sites I try (Yahoo, Google, Wanadoo, various news sites, etc.) time out before they can load.  I'm wondering if the heat is impacting a router somewhere down the line...

PG

It seems that the Wanadoo dns servers are down? A DNS server basically translates www.bbc.co.uk to 212.58.240.110 for example....try it, type that number into a browser, and you should get www.bbc.co.uk. Ususally, the DNS server is given to you automatically by your isp. All I did this morning to get me up and running again, was to replace the Wanadoo DNS server with the neuf telecom dns server, which seems ok.

[quote user="Babnik"]All I did this morning to get me up and running again, was to replace the Wanadoo DNS server with the neuf telecom dns server, which seems ok.
[/quote]

I am most impressed - how did you manage to do that?

Sue

TU (yes how I miss here here on the forum) tells me that it is something to do with a worm, as far as Yahoo is concerned, annyway.

Gdo knows what that means, but like other members I have been having all sorts of problems with all sorts of sites since yesterday evening

I now there are periodic DOS attacks (denial of service) on some of the major sites, so that could certainly add to the difficulties...  However, it also seems likely that there was some hardware issue involved, especially considering how widespread the problem was.

Touching wood, today seems to be back to normal.

PG