Moving from outside the EU?

My wife and I are really looking forward to settling in France.We have gone into it with our eyes wide open.We know it wont all be plain sailing but must say this whole site have given us a good insight to the positve and the negative side of things.When we get settled I hope I can help others the way all of you guys and gals have. [:D]

Joyeux Noël et Bonne année à vous tous. Continuez le bon travail

Hi Pancake.

Where in Australia are you coming from and what has been the process /route you used to be able to move here application-wise? Have you a British/European born spouse?.

Just interested.

By the way all, the latest news on our residence permits...the Prefecture has LOST the files! So its back to the drawing board again.

Aha, just as I thought. It aint that easy for native born Australians to just lob here and set up house. Do you realise you may/will lose your Australian citizenship?.

You wouldn't have Australian passports if you hadnt taken up Citizenship. If you use your British passports/European status to come here you may as well throw your Australian passports in the bin as after two years of living here you will lose all rights and status as naturalized Australian citizens.

So I hope it all works out well for you here as there will be 'No Going Back' so to speak.

Pancake:   With the following proviso's, Do it.

1. Everyone in your family must want to do it.

2. Choose the area with care.

3. Spend a long time looking at the area that the dream house you have found is situated.

4. Learn to remain calm in the face of bureaucracy.

5. Always take something with you to do, when you're waiting to pay in the supermarket checkout.

6. Learn as much of the language as you are able.

7. Learn to relax and take things easy.

8. Remember, it's cold in the winter and cabin fever is common in some area's.

If you 'tick' all those boxes, 'come on down', ..................or in your case, up.

"Love France or Leave it" as Mr Chirac says.............................[:D][:D]                  

Yep no problem.We have had 18 month to look at what we want and where to go...I have worn Google out.You wont be able to chase us off with a big stick....you might say I'm coming home to roost as my family tree goes back to France. We went over to England in 1066 with Willy and his mob...we even joined the British army and fought Wellington at Waterloo...as for cricket,I dont mind who wins...[:D]

Thanks RH but I have all my family history recorded. Actually Pancake, my 5th Great Grandmother was the sister of the Duke of Wellington of whom you speak. She was Helen Pakenham, her sister Catherine was his wife.  Plus I can trace my people in a direct line way back beyond ole Willy to the Capet's  here in France.

I dont give a toss about the cricket by the way.  It was better back in 1978 when Kerry Packer made all the World Series players wear those bright colours.

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Pancake:   With the following proviso's, Do it.

1. Everyone in your family must want to do it.

2. Choose the area with care.

3. Spend a long time looking at the area that the dream house you have found is situated.

4. Learn to remain calm in the face of bureaucracy.

5. Always take something with you to do, when you're waiting to pay in the supermarket checkout.

6. Learn as much of the language as you are able.

7. Learn to relax and take things easy.

8. Remember, it's cold in the winter and cabin fever is common in some area's.

If you 'tick' all those boxes, 'come on down', ..................or in your case, up.

"Love France or Leave it" as Mr Chirac says.............................[:D][:D]                  

[/quote]

Bring Lots and Lots of Money

Thanks Jon, I stand corrected. I think it's also been used by Mr Sarcozi. Interesting now how Mr Blair is starting to use something very similar, perhaps the message is finally getting through.

It really is the base-line for any one moving to another country, IMHO.