Internet connection with Wanadoo

Not sure where to start, hope someone can help out there.  I firstly must explain that I am a complete "technophobic" and can just about get my way round a computer/ surf the internet - just used to plugging things in and away you go! So I am not good at "megabytes" unless it has got something to do with food!  However we are fairly newly arrived in France and have been paying for Wanadoo internet connection since February of this year.  We received our livebox/leads CD etc in record time and the money has been coming out of our account every month without fail (but of course)!  However in the last 4 weeks we have now found a dust free, plaster/paint free room to un-pack the PC and I decided to try to "install" Wanadoo.  2 attempts later and several "errors" I called in a fantastic English IT guy who tested everything and said that the problem with the "internet connection" was something to do with outside the house ie. dialog connection ok for speaking but not a digital connection.  We called upon the help of a fluent french speaker (we can get by with getting pissed with the neighbours by can't quite manage a telephone call yet)! who after two lots of 2 hour attempts finally got through to Wanadoo to explain our problem. To cut an extremely long story short, as promised by Wanadoo a couple of chaps arrived today to check things inside and outside our house and explained that the village we live in is not picking up a "signal" and "we need a stronger connection box".  We have got broadband in the village ie the school and several neighbours have it why can't we get it?  Now at a loss, as the guys that came today shrugged their shoulders, pointed to their watches (it was 12.30pm - they were losing weight in front of us) and said they couldn't help.  Now what??  Is there a number we can ring and speak to an English speaking person? Have followed a thread here before for a number to call for English speakers but again can never get through (hanging on for over 30 mins and then get cut off).  Beginning to pull my hair out, as I need the internet/emails for our business.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dee&Tom 

It sounds as though you are too far away from the excahnge for broad band to work, in which case it may be back to dial-up. Firstly though try posting your number into this web page, http://www.degrouptest.com/

and then copy and paste the results (having blanked out your number) back on this site. You will have something that looks like this.

Start Here

Vos informations personnelles* :

Votre téléphone        02 99 99 99
Votre code postal     37XXX

Answer

Caractéristiques générales de la ligne :

Code Commutateur Local : GR137 [Fiche détaillée]
Nom Commutateur Local : GRAND PRESSIGNY
Longueur de ligne : 1050 mètres [+]

Affaiblissement : 10.82 dB
[Estimation] Débit descendant ADSL : 8177 kbps (1022 ko/s)
[Estimation] Débit descendant ADSL 2+ : 25201 kbps (3150 ko/s)

Caractéristiques IP/ADSL France Télécom :

Plaque ADSL : CE2
Type de DSLAM : ALCATEL
Zone Dense (> 20 000 lignes) :Non
NRA compatible ADSL2+ FT :Oui
NRA compatible ReADSL FT :Oui

I've just checked out our telephone line using this useful website and am confused.  I know there is no ADSL in our village and it's coming only in 2012, but what is ReADSL?  According to the website, it's coming this October, so may I hope for broadband connection?!

ADSL normally only covers a  5 kilometres radius from the exchange. Reach Extended ADSL allows this distance to be increased a little thereby including a few more customers. However if the serving exchange hasn't got ADSL there is nothing to extend!

I've just installed Orange broadband on a friend's computer.  He is 6,800m from his local exchange and according to Degrouptest, the only package currently available was 512Mb ReADSL. 

As BJ says, ReADSL extends the service that few extra metres, but the critical parameter is the "affaiblissement".  It's basically the signal "drop" and if it's approaching 70, then you may be unlucky. 

My friend's was 68 (quite marginal) and we had to call out FT - the engineer went off to the exchange shaking his head and (presumably) turned the volume up, came back and said OK, we've got broadband. 

He also replaced the old phone socket with a new one (the original was badly corroded) and said "Ssh, don't tell anyone".  Result, no bill for the visit.  Nice bloke. [:)]

Questions Forums de discussion Données Personnelles A Propos Partenaires    

Besoin d'un routeur ou d'un modem ADSL ?
  >>  Comparez lez prix sur France Hardware !
  Des questions, remarques, suggestions ?
  >>  Venez en discuter sur le forum.

Résultats des tests

DegroupTest v3.62 du 15/06/2006

Tous les débits indiqués sur DegroupTest sont des débits IP (et non ATM).
Pour en savoir plus sur les types de raccordement (option 1, option 3, option 5), c'est par ici.

Informations Techniques   Eligibilité France Télécom (option 5)

Ligne testée : 05 49 91 10 46
Caractéristiques générales de la ligne :

Code Commutateur Local : LJR86 [Fiche détaillée]
Nom Commutateur Local : ISLE JOURDAIN
Longueur de ligne : 6622 mètres [+]

Affaiblissement : 68.21 dB
[Estimation] Débit descendant ADSL : 252 kbps (32 ko/s)
[Estimation] Débit descendant ADSL 2+ : 214 kbps (27 ko/s)
Caractéristiques IP/ADSL France Télécom :

Plaque ADSL : PO1
Type de DSLAM : ALCATEL
Zone Dense (> 20 000 lignes) :Non
NRA compatible ADSL2+ FT :Oui
NRA compatible ReADSL FT :Oui

Offres FT Internet IP/ADSL :

IP ADSL 512 (512/128 Kbps)Possible
IP ADSL 1024 R (1024 Kbps/128 Kbps)Impossible
IP ADSL 1024 Pro (1024 Kbps/256 Kbps)Impossible
IP ADSL 2048/256 (2048 Kbps/256 Kbps)Impossible
IP ADSL Max (jusqu'à 8 Mégas/800kbps)Impossible
IP ADSL Max 2+ (jusqu'à 18 Mégas/1Mbps)Impossible

Des offres s'appuyant sur le réseau France Télécom sont disponibles chez Club Internet et Orange jusqu'à 18 Mégas mais aussi chez de nombreux autres fournisseurs français jusqu'à 8 Mégas : Alice, AOL, Cegetel, Free, NordNet, etc.

Offres ADSL Orange (cf. IP ADSL)Possible
+ TV (Bouquet TV + 24/24 vidéo)Impossible
+ Canal (Canal+ ou CanalSat)Impossible
+ TPS (Bouquet TPS)Impossible

Restez informé sur votre répartiteur   Publicité

Restez informé sur votre répartiteur :
Email :
Indiquez votre email pour être alerté dès qu'un changement important à lieu dans votre répartiteur. Plus d'infos par ici.

Opérateurs Alternatifs disposant de leur propre réseau ADSL (option 1 & 3)

Attention : Les résultats ci-dessous sont valables uniquement pour les offres de dégroupage (option 1) et de collecte ATM (option 3) !
De nombreux FAI proposent également des offres utilisant le réseau de France Télécom (option 5) dont l'éligibilité est indiquée ci-dessus.

Type de raccordement* Option 3 (Collecte ATM) 
ADSL jusqu'à 6,4 Mbps/640kPossible
ADSL2+ jusqu'à 16 Mbps/800kImpossible
Dégroupage TotalImpossible
Téléphonie par ADSL (VoIP)Possible
TV par ADSL : NeufTV, Canal+, CanalSat ou TPSImpossible
Le réseau Neuf est également utilisé par Nerim, Club Internet, Magic OnLine, Tele2 et Netpratique.
(*) Pour en savoir plus, c'est par ici.

Type de raccordement* Option 3 (Collecte ATM) 
ADSL jusqu'à 6,4 Mbps/640kPossible
ADSL2+ jusqu'à 16 Mbps/800kImpossible
Téléphonie par ADSL (VoIP)Possible
Le réseau Cegetel est également utilisé par AOL et EasyNet.
(*) Pour en savoir plus, c'est par ici.

Dégroupage jusqu'à 20 Mbps/1MbpsImpossible
Estimation du débit possible en réceptionNon Applicable
Estimation du débit possible en émissionNon Applicable
Téléphonie par ADSL (VOIP)Impossible

Toutes les offres : Club Internet

Dégroupage jusqu'à 16 Mbps/512kbpsImpossible
+ Dégroupage TotalImpossible
+ Télévision Numérique (bouquet Alice)Impossible
+ Télévision Numérique (bouquet TPS)Impossible
Estimation du débit possible (IP)608 kbps

Toutes les offres : Alice

A la demande de Free, l'éligibilité Free n'est plus disponible sur DegroupTest. Vous pouvez néanmoins tester votre éligibilité directement sur cette page.

Réseaux cablés : Internet, TV et Téléphone par le cable

Aucun cablo-opérateur ne couvre actuellement votre commune

Wow!!!!!!!!  I've managed to copy AND paste!!!!!  Can you help?  What on earth does the above mean??

Thanks again

Dee & tom