I bought a French Orange pay-as-you-go a few years ago and have let its SIM lapse (like a previous poster, a couple of threads down) I'm hoping to put a NRJ SIM in it to avoid losing the credit  (and ultimately the number) again. However the phone (a Nokia something or other) will be tied to the Orange network. How and/or where do I get it unblocked ?

The shop where I bought it is half the country away so going back to them is not an option.

p

There are several websites that give you a multidigit number to punch into your Nokia phone - you submit its serial number and the unlock code comes back.   It's quite fiddly to do (some codes need you to punch the # button several times in quick succession) but I managed it.

Sorry I don't know the websites now but a Google search would find them.   The one I used was free and I was glad not to line Orange's pocket any further.   Incidentally the Orange SIM card still works in the phone,  it's just now possible to swap cards.

Thinking about it I think the link to the site I used was posted on Living France in this section.....

[quote user="Ecossais"]

I've used this site for Nokia codes:  http://www.trycktill.com/eng

Click on the Union Jack to change the language to English.  You have to follow the instructions to the letter and need to know the network the mobile is currently locked to.  Some of the most recent Nokia's and 3G Nokia's like the 6630 cannot be unlocked this way.

[/quote]

Thanks Ecossais,  Mine was a Nokia 3510. Just the job ! (once I got out the reading glasses so I could decipher the minute writing in the back of the phone: clearly these phones ARE for 14 year-olds!

p

Glad you found the site useful – it’s fairly easy to unlock a lot of Nokia’s.  If there are several unlock codes listed, usually the first or last one will work – try first, last, 2nd, 3rd… …

Gyn_Paul:  Look after your 3510 if your eyesight is failing!  Nokia don’t make “decent sized” phones any more.  I assume you were looking for the IMEI number when you were trying to decipher the minute writing?  You can get this on any mobile by keying *#06# - it’s worth making a note of the number in case your phone is ever lost or stolen – your network can immobilise the phone or trace what SIM is being used in it.

BTW - No self-respecting 14 year old would want to be seen in daylight with a 3510!!!

[quote user="Ecossais"]

Glad you found the site useful – it’s fairly easy to unlock a lot of Nokia’s.  If there are several unlock codes listed, usually the first or last one will work – try first, last, 2nd, 3rd… …

Gyn_Paul:  Look after your 3510 if your eyesight is failing!  Nokia don’t make “decent sized” phones any more.  I assume you were looking for the IMEI number when you were trying to decipher the minute writing?  You can get this on any mobile by keying *#06# - it’s worth making a note of the number in case your phone is ever lost or stolen – your network can immobilise the phone or trace what SIM is being used in it.

BTW - No self-respecting 14 year old would want to be seen in daylight with a 3510!!!

[/quote]

Oh no, I agree it's quite safe: the only person who would mug me for it would be over 60 ! but once upon a time, in the dim and distant past it must have been - if not quite ever state-of-the-art, then at least enviable. I mean, once upon a time a x486 computer was thought to be really cool!

Now the next problem is a new (well, 9 month's old) Nokia 1100 bought in the UK as an Orange PaYG which I thought might work well as a dual Sim uk/French phone with another NRJ SIM in it. But neither the TRYCKILL generated codes for either lock 7 or lock 1 work, and having used up 3 lives I'm scared to have moe than 1 more attempt. What exactly is a Box Serial anyway? Is my problem that it's just too new to be able to unlock? Is there a decay time on these unlock attempts or are they 'for life'?

p

Hi P, 

I don’t know what happens if you try too many unsuccessful unlock codes – it may be that the phone becomes permanently “unlockable” or it may immobilise the phone in some other way?

I have used Trycktill to successfully unlock an Orange UK Nokia 1100 for a friend, but I have also found that a Nokia 1600 could not be unlocked despite unlock codes being produced by the Trycktill site.  Apparantly Virgin phones can sometimes be a problem too.

I’ve never changed anything in the “Box Serial” field as I’ve no idea what it does!

My advice would be to find out if you can get it unlocked by a back street shop in a big town.  The “professional unlockers” do it by attaching the phone to a PC.

The going rate for unlocking phones in the UK is £10 – you might be able to negotiate a discount as the phones as selling for £25 at the moment! I wouldn’t pay much more than €10 if you want to try to get it unlocked in France.

The 3510 would have been a cool mobile when launched – I think it was the first Nokia to have polyphonic ringtones – a notable development in mobile history!  It was superseded by the 3510i which brought the useless benefit of a colour screen!

Are you looking for a 486 PC to go with your 3510?!  I could help you out there – one owner from new, mint condition, relegated to the attic due to lack of street cred.  Only problem is it doesn’t freeze and crash like my Pentium 4 / Windows XP model!!!

I know, ridiculous isn't it?   I've got a Pentium 4 running at 3.20 GHz, with 2GB of RAM, and almost 600GB of hard disk and I swear it loads slower than a BBC model B ! And - as usual - I just approaching the point where all the drives are more than 80% full. Every programme seems to be written in - what was it called fatware? (lazily writen, stodgy code which hoovers vast amounts of memory)

Meanwhile back at the phone....

I have the box with the id panel intact and there is nothing on it which  looks like it might replace the 5-digit prodigy default code. The Trycktill site mentions that you have 5 shots at unlocking it and thereafter it needs unlocking  "... with a cable." So that sounds like your ..'attach it to a PC..' deal.

Think I'll leave it until after its first birthday and then I'll have another go..

thanks again for your time and trouble.

paul

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="MKT"]

erm have read all this but my mobile is a nokia 2600 which doesnt appear to exist on the trycktill site.

is it too old, too new or what and is there any hope?

suggestions?

maria

[/quote]

I don't have an intimate knowlege of the Nokia range, but it's posible it shares the same insides as another model. Have you tried the code for one of other models ? possibly 2100 or 2300, for instance ?

p

• 1 month later...
Today we bought a new NRJ SIM card to try in my wife's old Nokia 3410.  The phone was previously used on O2 PAYGo in the UK, but has not been used for a couple of years. 

When I put the NRJ card in and switch on, after entering the pin (0000 as it is a new card) I get the message "SIM not valid".  

I tried the procedure described here for unlocking but it makes no difference.  Is this a different problem?

[8-)]

Hi Cassis,

The Nokia 3410 is usually an easy phone to unlock using the unlock code and procedure from http://www.trycktill.com/eng

A message like “SIM lock off” should have flashed up on the screen and the phone should have powered off and back on itself – did that happen?

I suggest you try the procedure again, but if you used the first unlock code in the list for your IMEI number, try the LAST one this time.

Hello Ecossais

Is "SIM not valid" the message that indicates the phone is locked?

I followed the procedure on the trycktill site yesterday.  It gave me a list of 7 possible unlock codes. 

I tried the 7th unlock code first as the site said that usually worked, then the 1st unlock code.  In each case when I entered the final # (after +7 and +1 in each case) the # did not appear on screen and the phone did not power off and power up.

I just went onto the site again and this time, after entering the phone details and network, I have a different set of instructions - I don't think I changed any inputs!

Brand:    Nokia

Model:   3410

Network:   O2

IMEI:       351100804451832 taken off the phone itself and checked by entering *#06#

Today it says:

1. Shut down your phone

2. Take out your SIM-card and restart.

3. Press *#06# on your Nokia phone.

4. Enter your IMEI number in the field below (15 digits)

IMEI:
Network:
GID 1:
GID 2:
MSIN:
Send:

Read our Disclaimer before you use this service.

Agree by checking the checkbox:

There is 4 locks on a Nokia DCT3 phone.

Lock 1 : MCC+MNC (Network och landsspecific)

Lock 2 : GID1 lås (SIM-card typ)

Lock 3 : GID2 lås (SIM-card typ)

Lock 4 : MSIN lås (SIM-card specific lock)

The generated codes open up one or several locks.

Code 1 open lock 1

Code 2 open lock 2

Code 3 open lock 3

Code 4 open lock 4

THE RESULT FROM THE CALCULATION!

----------------------------------------------

DCT3 C# CALCULATOR SCRIPT

delivered by TRYCKTILL.COM

----------------------------------------------

Version 1.0p for WWW.TRYCKTILL.COM

Phone type: DCT3

Model: 3410

IMEI: 351100804451832

Network: 23410

GID 1: 0AFF

#pw+3213114532+1#

#pw+2807506878+2#

It warns I have a maximum of 5 tries to get it right, after which I need a hardwire fix.  Having tried 2 yesterday I'm a bit nervous about trying any more in case I banjax the whole thing.  What do you reckon?  Code 1,2,3 or 4?  I won't blame anyone for any lockouts!

TIA

Phil

Hi Phil,

Yes “SIM not valid” or a similar message, (when a different SIM is inserted) indicates that the handset is locked.

I don’t know why it’s not working.

I’ve just had a look on Trycktill and got the same 2 unlock codes for your IMEI number.

When you put the NJR SIM card in the phone and turn it on – you should get a message along the lines of “Invalid SIM, enter code”.  (It might not show “enter code”).

At that point you press the “#” key ………..

When entering the code you need to press the “*” key repeatedly quickly to select “*”, “+”, “p”, or “w” – do not use the “p” or “w” on the numeric keypad.  If you pause for too long you will need to start again.

I’d try the 2 codes on the website – if it still doesn’t work, are you near to a big town?  Ask in a mobile shop or the mobile department in a hypermarket – someone there should be able to tell you where you can get it unlocked in your area.  Expect to pay €10 - €15.

Hope you get it to work!

Thanks, Ecossais.  I'll give it another go (or two). 

Can I just check one thing - are you saying I have to actually insert the NRJ SIM card before I do the unlock business?  I have been doing it without any card inserted as that seems to be what the site instructs (in that it does not say "Insert your new card" before telling you to enter the unlock codes).

I'm ok on pressing the " * " key for the various code letters. 

Hi Phil,

I’ve always put a “wrong” SIM into the phone when unlocking - the presence of a “wrong” SIM seems to cause the “Invalid SIM” screen message, plus when the phone powers off and back on you can see immediately that it’s worked by the new network name being on the screen.

I’ve just turned on my Nokia 6230i without a SIM in it - this causes a “Insert SIM Card” screen message (not “invalid”).

Hope you get your phone to work – please let us know how you get on.

Just stuck the old O2 card in and it's okay.  I could nip down to a neighbour to try his as well.

Correction - now shows message "SIM card registration failed" but that's probably just because it's 2 years since it was used and the account's been disconnected.  But it started up okay with the little handshake that Nokia does etc.

[quote user="Cassis"]Just stuck the old O2 card in and it's okay.  I could nip down to a neighbour to try his as well.

[/quote]

Sorry I should have say have you got access to a SIM for another network, it won't have a problem with the O2 card. I was hoping you could eliminate the possibility that the NRJ simitself is faulty.

p

I've been to a neighbour and we swapped cards.  He's with Bouygues Telecom or however it's spelt.  My NRJ card in his portable gives the message 'SIM verrou' - SIM locked.  His Bouygues card in mine gives the message "SIM not valid".  Not sure that this takes us any further forward!

[quote user="Cassis"].... His Bouygues card in mine gives the message "SIM not valid".  Not sure that this takes us any further forward!

[/quote]

Well unfortunately it tells us that it is still tied to the o2 network, otherwise it would have worked with his Bouygues card. Sorry. Back to the codes, I fear or take it to a shop and they'll unlock it for 20E

p

I've been back to Carrefour and got them to complete registering the SIM card online - it definitely works now (they tested it on another phone) but still shows "SIM not valid" on mine.  The lad reckoned my phone is still locked, as you say. 

I'm going to have a last fling of the dice with the second code - that makes it try number 4 or 5 - depending whether trying the same unlock twice counts as 2 attempts. 

Fingers crossed - nothing to lose anyway!  Thank you very much for trying to help - it's appreciated.