That's right. I believe some OEM installation packages give you the option to choose language before installing (depending on how good a selection of system discs etc the particular manufacturer gives you), but once it's installed you can't change the language. Think of it as an opportunity to learn French computing-speak.

Don't worry, you will still be able to install other English-language programs, most of which will install in English.

Yep, unless you buy an English disc and reinstall that version you are stuck with it.  I got mine over a year ago now, the computer is HP, and XP and the 'added value' programmes are all French.  After the first 6 or 8 months  of  paranoia (my French is appalling) it became quite fun [:D]as I downloaded a variety of English programmes and the dialogue boxes became steadily more bi-lingual.  I have learned a few new French words and XP has learned some English (as Cassis has mentioned it would).  Of course, if there is a problem with the software, it is much more difficult to fix unless you are much more fluent than I am.  It may mean a trip to a technician although I have always managed to cope, so far!