Two receivers, best way to connect.

Hi,

We have now got two receivers, one the normal sky box for picking up the British stuff at around 28º E and now we plan to have another by the weekend, picking up stuff at hotbird at 13º E mostly for the soccer.

To all you who know these things, what is the best way (or perhaps only way !) for me to be able to simply hop from one reciever to another, without taking the scart out of one and replacing it with the other to view the picture on TV.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

A SCART switch, would you believe? Always assuming you have only 1 spare SCART socket on you TV. Available fom most bricos/TV shop in a manual version (ie. press a button/turn a switch). Also available as auto (turn one box off & the other is automatically selected) or remote control, although these frequenty include lots of other inputs/outputs.

Cheers Nick,

I had a butchers in one of the sheds last week and couldn't see anything.

I have 2 scart wotsits at the rear of the TV, one has the video in and the other the sky box scart.

I shall take a look at the weekend or Monday for this auto one, I think it is called a boitier peritel 21 broches, I have seen similar and it has 3 inlets and commutator, will that be it?  If it is, it will certainly save Tina getting out of her chair [:)]

Scart Switch Box/SplitterThis is a typical manual switch allowing three inputs to one scart. If one of the inputs is a recorder you can record from one of the other inputs whilst watching the third input on the TV.

Typical cost 15 to 20 Euros.

Places like a mid size Auchan will have them.

We also have a sender (transmitter) between the swich and the TV allowing us to watch either satellite on a small LCD TV in the kitchen.

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

This is a typical manual switch allowing three inputs to one scart. If one of the inputs is a recorder you can record from one of the other inputs whilst watching the third input on the TV.

Typical cost 15 to 20 Euros.

Places like a mid size Auchan will have them.

We also have a sender (transmitter) between the swich and the TV allowing us to watch either satellite on a small LCD TV in the kitchen.

[/quote]

Hi Miki,

we have one of the above and it has three buttons to select which device you are watching and another three that allow you to choose which one to record from and connections for your hi-fi, very useful but you may need to make a note of which button does what once you have them all connected, at least until you can remember...unless you have a teenager in the house then you will have no problems at all...

best regards

Dave[:D]

[quote user="Miki"]Cheers to all and BJ, I spotted that exact one on ebay.fr tonight for not too much money, so thanks.

Cooperlola, is that spy talk or should I know what it stands for ? [;-)]

[/quote]Sorry Miki, I just made the assumption that everybody knew about fnac!  Dick Smith has now kindly explained.[:)]

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Miki"]Cheers to all and BJ, I spotted that exact one on ebay.fr tonight for not too much money, so thanks.

[/quote]Sorry Miki, I just made the assumption that everybody knew about fnac!  Dick Smith has now kindly explained.[:)][/quote]

Everyone Cooperman ??? Most of our commune wonder what day it is [:)]

We often buy stuff from Mr Gooddeal though, as we have a depot less than 30 minutes away.

Thanks anyway.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Miki"]Cheers to all and BJ, I spotted that exact one on ebay.fr tonight for not too much money, so thanks.

[/quote]Sorry Miki, I just made the assumption that everybody knew about fnac!  Dick Smith has now kindly explained.[:)][/quote]

We often buy stuff from Mr Gooddeal though, as we have a depot less than 30 minutes away.

Thanks anyway.

Dago,

We have a young Daughter and between her and her boyfriend they taught me to text on a mobile, so they will help me I'm sure [;-)]

[quote user="Miki"][quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Miki"]Cheers to all and BJ, I spotted that exact one on ebay.fr tonight for not too much money, so thanks.

Thanks anyway.

[/quote]You are welcome.  Regards, Cooperwoman.[:D]

Dunno, Cassis is the answer. 

And to avoid the hell that is the lounge I'll go back on topic. Try to get a remote controlled scart switcher if you can.  These usually involve a "scroll" through the input/output options so you can do the changing from the comfort of your armchair instead of squatting down in front of the telly every time. The very lightweight manual switchers also often get moved about by the cables you plug into them so can be quite problematical to position properly.

Anton & Cooperlola,

Thanks for the replies

If I put both scarts in to the TV, there are two sockets at the back, one at the moment is for Sky (with the Video going to the Sky box and then from Sky box to scart socket) and the other coming from the DVD. My original thought, as it seemed the most simple was to do as you said but I was asked by the OH, what happens if we need to tape something, or watch something on the video or to watch something from the DVD, it would mean some awkward changing of scarts, some not so easy to get to ?

Have a look at your telly instructions - it should tell you how to change input signals (ie choose which input you wish to watch)  These vary so I can't tell you exactly what the channels might be called.  If you are recording on your VCR, you should just be able to switch to the DVD input on your telly remote and watch away!

If you want to be able to record from the French decoder as well as the Sky Digibox then it does get very complicated.

Or buy the switch we were talking about earlier. Unless everyone is now so poor that we can't afford 20 Euros.

Just checked you can find them for 10 plus postage http://cgi.ebay.fr/ADAPTATEUR-PERITEL-AUDIO-VIDEO-METAL-FINITION-ALU_W0QQitemZ160051984355QQihZ006QQcategoryZ137926QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

If you want to be able to record from the French decoder as well as the Sky Digibox then it does get very complicated.

[/quote]But it is possible!  The least complicated way ( and not as expensive as it sounds given the cost of recording equipment) is to have a recording device for each decoder.  Personally, I also have a VCR and a DVD recorder in one input so I can record either onto tape or the hard drive, and can also then transfer old video recordings onto DVD.  But you should see behind my telly - Spaghetti Junction is nothing, believe me!  Especially when you add all those speaker cables.[:-))]

Thanks again to all of you. I am off to town tomorrow, where the man in our local Extra shop, says he has just the jobby.

If not (the likely scenario !!) the one you gave the link to BJ, is from a chap that I have bought from before on ebay, so he looks to be the favourite. I am not that bad techinically, well I get by, as they say but asking peeps who know more, makes sense. Anyway, we hardly ever tape, as we rarely get time to watch it afterwards ! And I just want to see the soccer and OH wants whatever she wants, so the two receivers will do us fine and if Ican add the DVD and VCR, then luvvly jubbly !