Endéis Télécom - a con to be wary of!

Just a warning to people out there...now I don't normally do this, but we had just moved over here and I was looking for a cheap call provider and a nice bloke turned up the door promoting "Endéis Télécom".  Stating that calls (backed up with his documentation) to the UK were 0,06€ / min at all times.  I'm sure that isn't the best deal around, but at the time I didn't have the time to search for anything better, and I was pretty sure that was cheaper than FT so I signed up as it was "sans engagement" and I could look around later for a better deal.

My last bill was a little higher than expected, but I guessed we used the phone more than I thought and I was way too busy renovating to look closely at it...This month I have just received our bill - at 88,54€ for one month seemed a little high! so I decided to check the rates...UK land line calls are, as stated 0,06€ per minute -BUT with a 0,3€ (HT) connection charge, UK mobiles have a minimum connection charge of 0,725€ (again HT) and then charged at somewhere around 0.5€/min.  Even local calls have a stupidly expensive connection charge of around 0.12€ - an 8s local call cost me 13 cents! Now my French isn't brilliant, but I certainly understood everything he was saying, and read through the brochures - which seemed to clearly state all the rates - but not the connection charges quite so obviously!

I can't reach them on the numbers listed on the bill to complain, but needless to say - I'm sitting at the computer trying to find a new provider right now!

I had been using Skype quite a bit, but the call quality varies so much, and drops out quite often so I gave up since we were on a "cheap" tarrif anyway - or so I thought!

Matt

Hi I used to work within the industry for Cable & Wireless.  Originally in the UK there was only BT and BT then Mercury then lots and lots of others.

In the end it became a commodity and the trick was to compare like with like and thus set-up or minimum charges crept into the equasion so to truly compare costs you had to see what you call profiles were like and then superimpose them upon those charges of the incumbent supplier.

It became very confusing and unfortunately you now have seen the problem for say.12cents per minutes or whatever looks good but add to that .5cents set up charge and even dare I say it a minimum charge of whatever then you are not comparing like with like.

It is unpleasant to be stung and the guy who sold you it earned some commission but I wonder whether his employer will take it back when you cancel?  I hope so for truth in selling and lending is an old phrase but which is still highly relevant today.

[quote user="mmaddock"]

I had been using Skype quite a bit, but the call quality varies so much, and drops out quite often so I gave up since we were on a "cheap" tarrif anyway - or so I thought!

Matt

[/quote]

I used to use Skype but am now using VoipBuster because it's cheaper for my call patterns.

I agree about the quality of the call but VoipBuster some months ago introduced a facility whereby you could switch the call so that you use you own domestic handset which, in my case, always seems to give good call quality.

This facility costs 5 cents per call (plus tax).

Don't Skype offer the same facility?

If it is truly sans engagement then I would cancel immediately. FT also have a standard 12cent connection charge,some other providers don't, but calls are usually more expensive than other cheapie providers.70 something cents for uk mobile is just ridiculous.

I use Phone Expat, NOT the cheapest and they do charge the 12ct connection but calls anywhere in France are less than one cent a minute and 3 cents to the UK 24/7. Uk mobile is about 35cts per min I believe. I chose them because of bilingual communication, monthly fully itemised bills by e-mail, no codes etc to dial, sans engagement and its a lot cheaper than FT.