Complete France Forum

[quote user="Jean-Luc Picard"][quote user="mmaddock"]I fail to see the excitement.  I had a single device capable of doing all those things years ago!

BTW - someone has been messing with the Wiki page!

Matt

[/quote]

Yes? What was that, then?

[/quote]

In fact I've had several different devices over the years.  Mostly iPaq's, but even the (now old) S/E P800 does pretty much what this does.  I just don't see why it is so 'revolutionary'.  We've been able to watch movies, play music, take photographs, browse the web, send/receive e-mails etc. etc. for many years now on a single device.  Touch screen - so what?! That's been done to death recently (with little success IMHO) - have you tried sending an SMS using a touch screen? - it's a nightmare, if you're walking along it's almost impossible.  The keypad might not be pretty, but it is functionally simple!  I guarantee as soon as this comes out there will be loads of them on eBay as people get fed up of trying to use it successfully, battery that only lasts 24 hours etc. etc.  Been there, done that - many times!!!

Matt

[quote user="Jean-Luc Picard"]Read the specs. Then show me an iPaq (lousy name) that can do that... The iPaq phone?

There is always a section of the PC community that rubbishes all new Apple products. I don't know why that should be, except that some people always want to put down success and style.
[/quote]

Conversations in polite company about mobile 'phones are sooo.... 90's ....

[quote user="Jean-Luc Picard"]Read the specs. Then show me an iPaq (lousy name) that can do that... The iPaq phone?

There is always a section of the PC community that rubbishes all new Apple products. I don't know why that should be, except that some people always want to put down success and style.

[/quote]

In fact there were several iPaq's with built in GSM / GPRS and WiFi. I should know - I used them during my "working" life!  All of them played mp3/other music formats, all had web browsers, all could send/receive e-mail, all had touch screen.  In fact I've been through all the pages on the Apple site and I still can't find anything I couldn't do before now.  Maybe the "tech specs" are a bit more up-to-date i.e. more memory, higher res camera, but that's just a matter of improving technology rather than revolutionary technology.

I'm not anti-Apple at all.  I like their products - and I've had quite a few, tho I will say that none of them lasted for more than a few months after discovering that they are never quite lived up to the hype.  I'll even admit to having an iPod, but I'm about to put that on eBay as every other piece of kit you buy these days from a doorbell to a toaster seems to play MP3's!  Of course it will be a sell-out - it's an "Apple".  It's like BMW bringing out a new model - it doesn't matter what is it like, the mark makes it [rightly or wrongly] instantly desirable.

Matt

Archived