changing computers

Is this progress? My old computer does not write to DVD, only floppies.  My new computer doesnt use floppies, only CDRom. I want to copy all my Favourites and all my email contacts, without tediously copying them all out and re-entering them.  I can move email addresses into a Word document and email to my myself on the old computer and collec it on the new, but how do I put it into Outlook Express in the address list?  How can I copy Favourites and move them across to appear on the Orange acceuil page?  Can anyone help? Otherwise I am about to get repetitive strain injury typing everything in. 

I can't give you blow by blow instructions because I haven't used OE for a very long time but I'm sure you can export both your favourites and addresses from OE and then import them to your new PC.

Additionally you can backup and transfer all your emails too if you wanted.

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="Cassis"][quote user="ErnieY"]

It's quite easy to archive emails in OE. In Windows Explorer go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{07578491-B067-4853-9295-19546B22A91B}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

(where \XXXX\ is your user name plus the big string of letters & numbers between the { } will be different for you)

You'll find a bunch of files with the extension .dbx, such as inbox.dbx, folders.dbx etc. etc. all your mails are contained within these so copy them all somewhere safe.

If you need to restore them at a later date, say to a new PC or after a reinstall of Windows, simply copy them back.

[/quote]

I think that in order to see such files in Windows Explorer you may first have to go to Tools > File Options > View then unclick the box for "hide protected system files" and click on "show hidden files" and another box that I can't tell you what it translates to in English - something to do with "show system exploitation files".  Once you've done whatever you want to do I would switch all these back in case you bugger up the system by deleting or moving something vital.
[/quote]

You are quite right of course Cassis and thank you for pointing it out.[/quote]

I find the easiest way to migrate is to put the hard disk from  the old PC into the new PC as a second disk and then copy everythig onto the new PC hard disk into a folder called "OLD DISK" You can then work on just one computer. The disk changing only takes half an hour at most.

The above are all good suggestions - you can also buy floppy drives very cheaply, either internal ones which are a doddle to fit, or external USB ones, but as floppies are only 1.4MB they are very small by today's standards; even the smallest and cheapest USB sticks now are 256MB, costing £5.99 or less (that's equivalent to over 180 floppies in capacity).

I have found that e-mail files are the most difficult to transfer, with the greatest potential for losing them. This should help you. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/getstarted/bott_fstw.mspxm , and http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/mgrtfset.mspx 

Many thanks to all who came up with ideas. The memory stick has worked best.  Its been a useful exercise in getting rid of rubbish too.  There is so much talent in this Forum and I have been getting help here for 7 years now and hope I have maybe posted some helpful answers to others.  In the early days the Forum was much, much smaller and with so few Brits in our area then, it was an invaluable source.  Recent arrivals have much to be grateful for!

Thanks