Why do my messages disappear from my inbox?

This is puzzling me

I read my messages in my inbox and sometimes they stay there for days other times they vanish by themselves.

I haven't deleted them or done anything other than open and read them, where do they go and why does this happen?

I can't even find them by doing a keyword search.[8-)]

check your mail program settings to ensure you have not set messages to delete automatically after X number of days...

Without knowing which program you're using (Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird or other), it's difficult to be more specific [:)]

Do you always read your messages online at the wanadoo website, or do you sometimes read them in Outlook Beryl?  From memory I had a friend with the same problem, and it turned out that any messages he read in Outlook were downloaded from the Wanadoo server and so no longer appeared in the online version.

Usually from the wanadoo website but I do use the outlook one sometimes.

I will have a fiddle and see if I can find out how not to automatically have messages deleted after X days and see what happens when I use Outlook to read already received messages.

Thanks all

First of all I use Entourage, which is the mail client for Office on the Mac.

Tools > Accounts > Edit Account > Options > Leave a copy of each message on the server.

I'll have a look at Outlook Express (if I've got it on my emulation) and see if it is the same - shouldn't be much different.

edit - I've looked at Outlook Express 6 under XP and it's much the same (just uglier and harder to understand). Tools > Accounts >  Properties > Advanced > Leave a copy of each message on the server.

I think I'll go for a shower now. I feel dirty, but not in a good way. It's no wonder all you Windoze users are so bad tempered all the time.

[quote user="beryl"]

I opened Outlook express and all this mornings emails were there unopened. When I opened them there, they disappeared from my wanadoo in box.

I will try and figure out how to keep them in the wanadoo inbox .

[/quote]

Tools > Accounts.

Select the account used by your emails and then select Properties > Advanced

Tick: Leave a copy on Server

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Well spotted...

(Am I writing in invisible ink, or what?)

[/quote]

Dick. I didn't see your Edit: and as you said in your post that you would have to look in your Express simulator.  I just fired up Outlook Express and went through the procedure to post my answer.

Don't be so sensitive.

[quote user="fulcrum"][quote user="Dick Smith"]Well spotted...

(Am I writing in invisible ink, or what?)

[/quote]

Dick. I didn't see your Edit: and as you said in your post that you would have to look in your Express simulator.  I just fired up Outlook Express and went through the procedure to post my answer.

Don't be so sensitive.

[/quote]

Learn to recognise humour - and read posts above yours!