Wanadoo/Orange Update

Yesterday I had the option to update from 'l'Espace Wanadoo' to  Orange 'gestionnaire internet'.  I assumed it was just a quick update to remove the Wanadoo branding and replace with Orange, and of course speed it up and make it more userfriendly!.  Since then, everytime I need to go on line (as it's cut out a few times) it's asking for my 'security key'.  This is a real pain to keep typing this number in, as we tend to have powercuts often and have our connection to the internet broken each time.  It is also incredibly slow, and I'm now wondering if it isn't set up right, but don't know how I'd find this out.  Has anyone else had this problem or any ideas how to get over it?

I use Wanadoo and I have not had any such message sent to me.  Do you think the message was a legitimate one?  Can you restore your PC back to before the date before the message came in?  Alternatively give Wanadoo a ring and ask them if they have been sending out such mail's.  If they haven't, then you may well need to do a system restore.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but I've been having lots of problems recently and you might want to read this thread

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/864022/ShowPost.aspx

Jan

Thanks Jan, but the update was definitely from Orange.  I have been on their website and the email and instructions I received were the same as on their website.  I also had an email from Orange before the update, saying that in a few days I would be getting the update!  So it is legitimate, but just doesn't work properly.  I think the update is only for Haut Debit customers (?).  I wish I hadn't updated at all now and kept it with the old version of Wanadoo.

I discovered, after my first posting, that Orange had overridden my settings and made Orange Navigateur the preference and not Internet Explorer which I had before, so after changing the default, that is back to normal now.  However, I'm still getting it asking for the 26 figure security code everytime I try to go on-line.  It is getting very annoying...

I think your problems are being caused by the Wanadoo/Orange interface software that you are using. Most users dump the interface software provided by Wanadoo/Orange and just connect direct. I am not sure how to deinstall it, as although I too use Wanadoo/Orange, I don't use their interface.

Edit:

I have dug around and found this link. I hope it will help.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070207140416AA6M7RN

Thanks.  I agree that the orange set-up is not great.  I use IE at the moment, but have just loaded Firefox so may use that instead as I really like it.  Anyway, IE/Firefox as the default for the internet and Outlook as default for emails.  However, at this moment in time I'm still running it through Orange Gestionnaire Internet, ie I don't actually click on the IE icon, but launch the web through Orange with IE, the same with outlook (hope that makes sense!).  This is where all my problems are I think.  So, sorry to be so thick, but can i literally get rid of the Gestionnaire Internet altogether then?  Does it not affect my connections or anything? 

Val

Me again! Both IE and Outlook work absolutely fine without going through the Gestionnaire box and I relaunched everything and it hasn't asked for the security number again - phew!.  So I will just ignore the Gestionnaire box from now on.  I did try to deinstall it, but it removed all my Orange settings altogether so I couldn't get on to the internet at all - the wonders of the System Restore facility!!  Hopefully DH will not accuse me of fiddling now !  Thanks for your help everyone. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mickey

Just received same email from orange for update to new gestionaire system..............................is it compulsory to upgrade or can I just ignore the download when it arrives.  I don't use outlook as my email default, I use the dreaded messagerie, but can access outlook, but then I 'lose my emails' from messagerie to outlook, so would rather stay with messagierie as all info there.. Any advice ab out the download etc would be helpful, many thanks

Kimberly

Hi

I'm not sure if it is compulsory as not everyone I know that has Wanadoo has gone onto the new system.  My computer is all working ok now.  I don't use the gestionaire system at all and have removed the box from my view.  Using the gestionnaire system definitely slowed down downloading etc on my computer.  I launch Internet Explorer/Firefox and Outlook straight from my desktop now, without going through gestionnaire  (before we opened outlook and IE through the Wanadoo 'box'). Sorry I can't help with the messagerie as we have always used outlook. 

Although, saying all this - perhaps you just ignore the update and see if they remind you again later??