Neuf Telecom - Good, Bad, Ugly?!

[quote user="Spg"]

[quote user="Cassis"]

EDIT:

PSG/SUE'S LINK RETURNED ODD RESULTS, 2076 AND 913 THE FIRST TEST 2272 AND 914 THE SECOND TEST.  THAT'S WORSE THAN I GOT WITH THE DODGY FROG.

[/quote]

That is most interesting, I cannot think of an explanation as I have always achieved fairly consistent results using audit my pc, allowing for the usual time of day fluctuations due to high number of users etc. I have just tried it again and it was still fine for me. The site was recommended to me as having one of the more accurate counters. Sorry it didn't work for you.

[/quote]

Yes, very odd.  Just had another go in case it was a fluke.  Download times only:

bbmax             8450

auditmypc        1095

speedtestnet     8780

Like lunch, there is no such thing in life as a free sausage, as well you know.

However, there are free-range sausages, who roam the grassy pastures without a care, dreaming of pools of onion gravy ...

[img]http://www.minymorfa-farm-shop.co.uk/images/pork-sausage.jpg[/img]

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="Spg"][quote user="Cassis"]
EDIT:
PSG/SUE'S LINK RETURNED ODD RESULTS, 2076 AND 913 THE FIRST TEST 2272 AND 914 THE SECOND TEST.  THAT'S WORSE THAN I GOT WITH THE DODGY FROG. [/quote]

That is most interesting, I cannot think of an explanation as I have always achieved fairly consistent results using audit my pc, allowing for the usual time of day fluctuations due to high number of users etc. I have just tried it again and it was still fine for me. The site was recommended to me as having one of the more accurate counters. Sorry it didn't work for you. [/quote]

Yes, very odd.  Just had another go in case it was a fluke.  Download times only:

bbmax             8450
auditmypc        1095
speedtestnet     8780  [/quote]

Cassis

I've just had another go and got the following results [apologies don't know how to show the actual web results] download speed of 1.2 meg connection at 2.3 kms from central source and on a line with 5000 other phone users. About 3 mins between the tests.

speedtestnet 1032

audit my pc    1064

I cannot explain your really odd results - beyond my capabilities . Mine remain quite consistent. I give up. [:$][:(][8-)]

Sue 

[quote user="Cassis"]Sure - hence the variations - but why so enormously different for one test site compared to the other test site, I wonder.
[/quote]

It might be the software however, to give a fair chance, you would have to run both programs under the exact same contitions starting at exactly the same time. When I say exact I mean less than 1ms. Try running the same program say 3 times one after another or with the same time difference you employed when comparing programs.

The problem with speed and computers is how do you know it's really testing the speed. DEC (no longer with us) got caught back in the 70's when computer speed was measured in MIPS (millions of instructions per second). It turned out that all their test program did was count to 10 and then print out whatever number the salesman told it to. This was fine till a chap called Ziff Davies designed special software that run in machine code and showed exactly how fast the machines really ran.

Hey people, don't get too hung up on these tests, they are a useful indicator but thats all.

Also don't be fooled into believing that if you have say an 8mb service you will always get 8mb, it's a maximum, and overheads can reduce even the best connection by up to 10%.

Once you get used to your connection and how it "feels" you'll usually know if it's up to par or not and I find a much a better way of checking is to go to a major software manufacturers site and find a programme or file to download as a benchmark. If you note the download speed then any time you want to check your speed just download the same file again.

One that I've used regularly in the past is the latest virus definition from Symantec which is here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html

By eliminating as many variables as possible you're much more likely to get a true picture, I'm sure you get the idea.