Hi

I'm not very technical minded so this may seem a daft question!

If I change my ISP from Wanadoo/Orange to Teleconnect would I lose my wanadoo email address and if so would I lose all my  old emails? And would I loose it immediately or would there be a time lapse. I'm sure when I was using wanadoo in the UK I was able to use my old wanadoo uk address for about 1 month before it stopped working.

There are certain things that I have signed up to using my email address, so just trying to think ahead before I switch over.

Many thanks in advance

Lynpy

Unless the rules have changed recently, so long as you log in to your Wanadoo/Orange account every 90 days, your email address should remain active UNLESS it was issued when you had ADSL from them. Collectinng emails with an email program or using webmail counts as logging in.

If you use Outlook,  Outlook Express or any other email program that downloads your emails, you won't lose them, they will stay on your computer until you delete them. If you use webmail, they should still be there so long as you can acess your account.

If you go to another ISP and you use an email program (Outleook etc) all you need to do is add the new ISP's and your loging details to the email program and you can send and receive with them and Wanadoo/Orange - but you will have to change the outgoing mail server for the Wanadoo/Orange account - all fairly simple to do.

HTH

Tim

[quote user="Kalyn Computers"]

Unless the rules have changed recently, so long as you log in to your Wanadoo/Orange account every 90 days, your email address should remain active UNLESS it was issued when you had ADSL from them. Collectinng emails with an email program or using webmail counts as logging in.

[/quote]

Tim

Just a small but important point. In order to keep your UK account active you actually have to dial in to the account within 90 days, via your modem from France. It is not sufficient to just "login". I know this because that's what I've had to do for the last five years.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you only have to do this once near the end of the ninety day period.

One of the problems with changing ISP to get improved charges or benefits is the loss of your email address.  You might want to consider an independent provider for email and or webhosting.  I use 1&1 who are excellent and operate happily through both my UK and French ISPs.

Simon

[quote user="Simon"]One of the problems with changing ISP to get improved charges or benefits is the loss of your email address.  You might want to consider an independent provider for email and or webhosting.  I use 1&1 who are excellent and operate happily through both my UK and French ISPs.

Simon

[/quote]

or google mail for the emails, its very good and the best bit, its free!!

Thanks for the responses

I had thought about an independent email address but I wasn't sure how to go about it and if I could open it in Outlook.  I have a hotmail address which I use on occasion for certain reasons but I much prefer using Outlook.

Could I open gmail in Outlook?

Lynpy

When I got 30 days notice of my wanadoo.fr account from closing I lost my email account within 20 days of that, couldn't send email from day one, so in my experience I lost my email account straight away.

Unless you're going to keep your ISP for a long time then its probably best to get a yahoo email account.

Gmail is accessable with outlook, you need to be invited (when i last looked) for a gmail account, give us a shout if you want one.

Regards
Lee

I don't think you need to be invited to have a gmail account anymore, but I'm sure there are lots of folks on this forum who can invite you if need be.

You should have no problem downloading gmail through Outlook or Outlook Express, and you can set up your gmail account so that mails are left on the server or deleted from the server after you've downloaded them.  The account allowance is pretty big, but, if you elect to leave them on the server, you might want to check there occasionally (maybe once or twice a year unless you get tremendous volumes of email) to ensure that you're not nearing your limit.

Yahoo accounts, on the other hand, cannot be accessed through Outlook or OE unless you have the fee-paid kind (just like Hotmail).

Yahoo is possible with outlook with a prog called ypops (running in the background), wont be long before yahoo sort this out tho, but I suspect this is a rather drawn out way of getting email, probably sounds quicker to post a letter! I use it painlessly tho.

Lee

[quote user="ChezShells"]

Yahoo is possible with outlook with a prog called ypops (running in the background), wont be long before yahoo sort this out tho, but I suspect this is a rather drawn out way of getting email, probably sounds quicker to post a letter! I use it painlessly tho.

Lee

[/quote]

Can you tell me more about ypops?  I've never heard of it and I do have a yahoo account (not sure why).  Meanwhile, I'll google it.

[quote user="lynpy"]

Thanks for the responses

I had thought about an independent email address but I wasn't sure how to go about it and if I could open it in Outlook.  I have a hotmail address which I use on occasion for certain reasons but I much prefer using Outlook.

Could I open gmail in Outlook?

Lynpy

[/quote]

You can use 1&1 via outlook, and it is only £8.20 per year.

Simon