Accents in emails on an English keyboard

I don't know if this has come up before. If so, apologies. Does anyone know how you can type accented French in an email from an English keyboard? 

The accents are no problem in Word but I can't find a way of typing emails with accents. I don't know if this is a general problem, or just mine! When I'm using a French keyboard, I have no problem - I connect through the Internet to my ISP when travelling. I know how to do the accents but they just don't appear in the emails from an English keyboard.

Cherl

[quote user="Clair"]Many suggestions for this...
I tend to use the character table (all programs, accessories, system tools) and I keep it on the quick launch tool bar.
[/quote]

Clair, that's a brilliant idea.  I prefer the Alt+numeric keyboard method for the PC, but I've been struggling with various clumsy methods on my laptop (which doesn't have a numeric keyboard).

The character map is now in my quick launch toolbar, too.

Weirdly, although I can do accents on my laptop when in Word (by using those fairly intuitive keys, with the Ctrl button, - i.e. ,c for cedilla, :u  for umlaut etc), I absolutely cannot do them in *emails* on the laptop!

On the desktop PC, I use the Alt+numberpad system, which works both in Word and with emails, and even on the forum, comme ça.

Angela

Dear Loiseau

That's exactly my problem. I am in the process of trying the various suggestions mentioned in reply to my posting. As with you, it's only in the emails, from my English laptop, that I have the problem!

Cherl

I use Incredimail to manage my emails and no matter what method I use to successfully type accents onto my mails, Incredimail doesn't like it and scrambles them into some other characters on sending the email, even if I've plugged in my French keyboard and 'told' the computer I'm using a French keyboard  (I have changed the computer settings to have French or English keyboards and have a 'button' on my bottom toolbar to scroll bewteen the two)

[quote user="PossumGirl"]I just choose the English International keyboard setting in windows.  That way, all the accents are available on the quotation key: áéöüà, etc.

PG
[/quote]

I tried adding the US International keyboard and it worked very well for the accent marks, etc.  Unfortunately, it made my user startup very slow (I guess because of loading 2 keyboads?).

Obviously, I'm not very technologically sophisticated.  If I just deleted the regular US keyboard and used only the US International keyboard, would that solve the problem?

[quote user="tenniswitch"]

I tried adding the US International keyboard and it worked very well for the accent marks, etc.  Unfortunately, it made my user startup very slow (I guess because of loading 2 keyboads?).

Obviously, I'm not very technologically sophisticated.  If I just deleted the regular US keyboard and used only the US International keyboard, would that solve the problem?

[/quote]

Whether it would solve your problem or not, I don't know.  However, I see no reason to have both keyboards loaded as the US International keyboard is fine to use all the time.  That's what I do.

PG