[quote user="fulcrum"]Sky and all the UK channels are at 28.2 degrees East of South.[/quote]

Use the site mentioned above to get the exact information, the 28.2 degrees east of south is only correct for a dish positioned on the North Pole! the further south you are the more easterly the azimuth and the higher the elevation will need to be, not a massive amount but significant.

Actually I think the curvature of the earth would prevent a dish on the north pole from receiving from the Astra satellites.

JR

You are quite right as I too know all that stuff but the original poster sounded as if they did as well. You could also have explained that they will need an LNB, Dish, Digital Satellite box, Coax. And preferably a vertical post to mount the dish on.. When the original poster asked for a direction I should have said "out into space" ..... somewhere. 

After all, I did think they would figure it out from my brief reply.  [:D]  [;-)] 

[quote user="J.R."]

[quote user="fulcrum"]Sky and all the UK channels are at 28.2 degrees East of South.[/quote]

Use the site mentioned above to get the exact information, the 28.2 degrees east of south is only correct for a dish positioned on the North Pole!

[/quote]

Surely, every direction from the north pole is 180 degrees - ie. south Doesn't the 28.2 degrees refer to the centre of the footprint - somewhere over the UK?

The OP does not say where he is, but for here, the figures are Az 141 (from magnetic north!), Ele 27 & skew 18 (about 3 minutes on a clockface).

[quote user="fulcrum"]

JR

You are quite right as I too know all that stuff but the original poster sounded as if they did as well. You could also have explained that they will need an LNB, Dish, Digital Satellite box, Coax. And preferably a vertical post to mount the dish on.. When the original poster asked for a direction I should have said "out into space" ..... somewhere. 

After all, I did think they would figure it out from my brief reply.  [:D]  [;-)] 

[/quote]

Sorry Fulcrum I didnt mean to criticise your advice, it was just after setting up dishes in england and france I noticed the difference in compass bearings (mine had a line engraved at 28.2 degrees) and knew that the effect would be magnified further south of france.

Anyway I have my globe beside me now (sad or what!) and Nick was correct, it is the compass bearing from Greenwich (nominally) the satellite is over Equatorial Guinea which is a compass bearing of about 349 degrees or 11 degrees east of south from the north pole. This increases to 28.2 degrees at Greenwich and continues to increase the further south you are.

FWIW From the words used I thought the poster didnt sound like they knew all about the subject so would welcome the accurate info on the site mentioned.

I recently set up a digital receiver dish for a friend here in northern france using the azimuth and elevation data from the site, I used the elevation markings on the bracket (after checking the pole was plumb) and for azimuth I stood about 10 metres away behind the compass which was on a wooden stool, I orientated the lubber line to the azimuth and looked through the line to the dish. I realigned the dish until the axis of the LNB arm was in line with the lubber line, guaged by eye.

When I switched on the TV Sky came up straight away with good signal strength and quality which I couldnt improve on. Compared to when I first did my own dish using the 28.2 degree figure and then had to play hunt the sattelite whilst another helper shouted the results from the TV.