Default Browser

Does anyone know the reason for my default browser changing all the time.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates and have two browsers installed, Firefox version 2.0.0.3 and Internet Explorer version 7.0.5730.11.

I have set the default browser to IE7 by using the Set Program Access and Defaults in the Add or Remove Programs applet in Control Panel. Initially it works OK. However after a few times, whenever I want to display a link for instance, in my email, I am presented with Firefox. Whenever IE7 does get selected, I am asked if I want to set IE7 as my default.

What triggers the changing of defaults again?  [:(]

Have you tried (in IE7) setting the default browser  in tools/Internet options/programs/default web browser ? it probably does the same but it is worth trying

and then make sure you answer the default question correctly when you open firefox. If you have already done these things I don't know what else...

Danny

[quote user="Barkham"]Why not just use Firefox anyway? Apart from having a nicer feel, it isn't Microsoft, which must be a bonus.

[/quote]

I have gone the whole hog and use Linux as well as windows, it isn't microsoft so it is free and better.

Does not really matter what sort Dick as all Linux distros are free to download anyway. I am using Novell SUSE 10.2 at the moments and it has features that are better than Windoze Vista.

Part of the reason that Dell are offering Linux on their PCs, must be that they don't have to charge customers for any Microsoft products in the price that they pay for the PC. When you consider that Vista can cost from £130 to £300 and MS Office another £200, but Linux, which comes with Office and amny other programs, is free, it makes good sense.

[quote user="Bob T"]Does not really matter what sort Dick as all Linux distros are free to download anyway. I am using Novell SUSE 10.2 at the moments and it has features that are better than Windoze Vista.

Part of the reason that Dell are offering Linux on their PCs, must be that they don't have to charge customers for any Microsoft products in the price that they pay for the PC. When you consider that Vista can cost from £130 to £300 and MS Office another £200, but Linux, which comes with Office and amny other programs, is free, it makes good sense.

[/quote]

Bob

Linux needs to be carefully matched to the hardware that it will run on in order for it to work reliably. Windows is generally more tollerant of hardware issues and will work with most stuff. Linux on the other hand can be a users nightmare if the hardware isn't chosen with care.

While I would have agreed with that statement a while ago, I think that the recent release of some of the distros makes life much easier.

I have just downloaded SUSE 10.2 and upgraded my PC at the same time. It recognised my AMD 5200X2 CPU. the SATA2 hard drives, the sound card, the Netgear router, the network Laser printer and the skype USB phone. It also has Firefox pre installed. The only thing that does not have any Linux support is my particular network colour laser printer.

SUSE 10.2 is bang upto date as far as hardware is concerned whereas versions that are more than a year old are not. With latest version of KDE desktop and YAST2, the front end is as easy as windows to use.

If people want to see what it looks like then you can download a Live CD from the web and boot the computer with it. It is free and will run from the CD without touching the hard drive, so will have no effect on the windows system. To return to windows one just needs to eject the CD and reboot the system.

Bob

The main issue with Linux is the time taken to diagnose and rectify system problems. OK if you're a Unix/Linux guru who likes to do a lot of fiddling around. I do agree that the Linux Live CD's are very useful. I have a copy of both PCLinuxOS 9.2 and Knoppix 5.1.1 which are ideal for booting up a dead system, Linux or Windows.