Probs with Norton Anti virus

Hi. I have a computer system which we bought in France.  We originally installed the basic Norton anti virus (French version).  This year when the time came to renew the subscription I decided to go for the English version and also to upgrade to the next level.  However since downloading the new anti virus the computer has really slowed down.  It takes ages to open emails and is so slow downloading pages that it's like being back on dial-up again - it's driving me mad!  Any suggestions?

I am not a fan of Norton for exactly the reason you have given TL. It's also very difficult to remove completely from your system. My advise, junk it and download AVG. It's free and much more user friendly than Norton or Macafee.

Just my view.

Thanks for the advice.  My computer is an LG 702S, bought in France.  I have been online and looked at AVG and it looks very good.  The only negative comment I've picked up is that the latest version 7 is not as good as the preceeding one.  If I were to download this should I de-install Norton first?

The free version of AVG does not give you updates it is only as good as the day it was downloaded, you will not be protected against any new virus that comes along. 

I have AVG paid form, it just sits there and protects unlike Norton that wants to take over your life!!

Woe betide you if you do not re-subscribe to Norton, you get all sorts of messages akin to the end of the world will happen.  Not a good marketing tool if you see past the threats.

I would keep Norton until it expires than as Gary says ditch it.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

The free version of AVG does not give you updates it is only as good as the day it was downloaded, you will not be protected against any new virus that comes along. 

[/quote]

Sorry Ron, but AVG free does update automatically daily (7.5.446 is my version)

Norton now offer a free removal tool on their website to help with complete removal but I agree with you that it might as well be kept on the pc until it expires.

[quote user="tizzylizzy"]Thanks for the advice.  My computer is an LG 702S, bought in France.  I have been online and looked at AVG and it looks very good.  The only negative comment I've picked up is that the latest version 7 is not as good as the preceeding one.  If I were to download this should I de-install Norton first?[/quote]

I have noted the two posts by Ron and Gary. But I would add that whatever you do, don't try to run both at the same time.

I too run AVG free (version 7-5-446) and can confirm that it does update the virus definitions regularly.

Ron, I'm sorry but that isn't correct. I have my Free AVG 7 set to update everyday and it does, if I'm not online when it should update I do it manually.

In fact I have changed to a wireless router today and its upset my AVG settings and it will not update so I may have to delete and have a clean install (unless I can find out where to adjust it) and I'm fretting !

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Ron, I'm sorry but that isn't correct. I have my Free AVG 7 set to update everyday and it does, if I'm not online when it should update I do it manually.

In fact I have changed to a wireless router today and its upset my AVG settings and it will not update so I may have to delete and have a clean install (unless I can find out where to adjust it) and I'm fretting !

[/quote]

RH

You may find that the router firewall is possibly blocking the connection to the AVG site. You will need to check for the allowable programs in the routers settings.

RH

My brain too needed a rest. I mentioned the router firewall (hardware) but I'm not sure, now that I think about it, that it would block individual programs. Certainly if you have a software firewall like ZoneAlarm then that could be blocking the program. But then again, as you said, it could of course be AVG itself. Hope I haven't muddied the waters.

The latest paid for version is 7.5.050 plus  According to their website:

Within the 30-day trial period the section defines your program as a trial version which is exactly the same as the full version, but with noSupport or  Premium updating available:

Technical support is self explanaatory but I have no idea what premium updates are compared to normal updates , or what I get for my money but it does update every night.

How long have you the free version Gary? If it continues to update after 30 days I am asking myself what is the point in getting the paid for version, unless any new viruses that come along are not covered and the trial version only updates variants.

I looked on their website again I had it when it was called AWEDO but they do not define what premium updates are, there must be some difference in the paid for version surely.[:-))]  However, I do have the protection and technical support on more than one PC under the same license.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

How long have you the free version Gary?

[/quote]

At least a year and a half, maybe longer, Ron. I had problems with Macafee, switched to Norton and had bigger problems but have yet to have a problem with AVG free. You don't get free tech. support with it though, but as yet I've not had to contact them.

I've also got AVG on my laptop after the free ? Norton trial ran out.

Ron, When AVG 7 was first launched I noticed a lot of stories about it no longer being available free, and it is true that the link to find the free download was not very obvious...however I do have it free and it does update.

If you have more than one computer and /or need extra security then paying is probably worthwhile.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

How long have you the free version Gary? If it continues to update after 30 days I am asking myself what is the point in getting the paid for version, unless any new viruses that come along are not covered and the trial version only updates variants.

I looked on their website again I had it when it was called AWEDO but they do not define what premium updates are, there must be some difference in the paid for version surely.[:-))]  However, I do have the protection and technical support on more than one PC under the same license.

[/quote]

Ron someone on another thread has mentioned that the paid version of AVG also includes a firewall.

I use Zone Alarm - also free !

[quote user="Bugbear"]

I am not a fan of Norton for exactly the reason you have given TL. It's also very difficult to remove completely from your system. My advise, junk it and download AVG. It's free and much more user friendly than Norton or Macafee.

Just my view.

[/quote]

An unkind person would say that the only way to avoid problems with Norton is to avoid Norton altogether.

John

not