Modem Router/Firewall

As Spg says. The firewall in the modem/router is there to stop people hacking into the network, whereas the firewall on the PC stops all sorts of other things like viruses and trojans. AVG is free and better than Windows firewall though. Simple explanation, I know, but a quick way to explain it.

[quote user="Bob T"]

AVG is free and better than Windows firewall though.

[/quote]

I too agree that it is better to use both the router firewall and something like ZoneAlarm as well. However I am sure that AVG free is only anti virus. Not a firewall.

[quote user="bixy"]Thanks for those answers. I suppose I thought that two firewalls might conflict.

Patrick
[/quote]

Two software firewalls turned "on" on one computer would conflict.

The hardware firewall on the router should not conflict with the software firewall on your computer.  Just make sure you get the settings right.  In fact, the hardware firewall should give you an extra layer of security.

Well I'm now in France with everything set up, not least thanks to advice in this forum. Whoever said that Netgear routers have clear instructions is quite right. Even a novice like yours truly could manage it. Now I have another question. I'm currently set up with the ethernet cable from router/modem to computer but I would like the modem to be remote from the computer for practical reasons. The little symbol on the modem indicates that it is working wirelessly but as soon as I disconnect the ethernet cable I cannot access the internet. My question is this: first, is it possible to have the modem remote from the computer and secondly, if so, how do I set it up?

Patrick

[quote user="bixy"]

My question is this: first, is it possible to have the modem remote from the computer and secondly, if so, how do I set it up?

Patrick
[/quote]

Assuming that the computer has a compatible wi-fi card or dongle, then the answer is yes it is possible. To set it up, normally you would install the wi-fi card or dongle and set up the modem router to allow the two to communicate. Have a look on the  netgear modem instructions on how to set it up for wifi (wirelessly)

If the computer does not have a wifi card or dongle (USB adapter) then buying one of these is the next step. something like this for a desktop pc or this for a laptop or this for either

Danny

Thank you for that reply. My computer is brand new and tells me that it has an Intel(R)82562 v 10/100 platform for wireless networking. But looking at the pictures that you provided it seems that I need something "sticking out" - the only way I can describe it - like an aerial or a dongle -is that right?

Patrick

First of all congratulations at "being there" it won't be long for us now hopefully !

[quote user="bixy"]My computer is brand new and tells me that it has an Intel(R)82562 v 10/100 platform for wireless networking[/quote]This sounds to me like a contradiction in terms.

Intel(R)82562 v 10/100 will refer to the built in networking adaptor into which you plug your cable to the router and is nothing whatsoever to do with wireless networking !

What you need is either a USB WiFi adapter (the areial or dongle you mention) or else a PCI card which sits in a spare slot actually inside the PC exactly as Jane & Donny have indicated.

Hi Bixy,

As Ernie says, Intel(R)82562 v 10/100 is the 'wired' network adaptor.  But as you say your PC is new, could you tell us exactly what it says as regards wireless networking, as you may already have wireless builtin.  Does it mention anything like 802.11g?

Geoff

It sounds like there is no built in wireless capability and if so, that will mean getting an adapter like the ones I suggested before . You should check first to see if Windows thinks there is anything there. In Windows Vista, go to the device manager to see if there is anything wireless listed under Network adapters,To access Device Manager, go to Start | Control Panel | System and Maintenance | System | Device Manager and look down the list for 'network adapters'. Click on the (+) sign next to it to open it up and a list of adapters will be displayed. If there is no mention of 'wireless' then it most likely means there is no wireless device.

Don't forget, if you want to buy an adapter, make sure it is definitely compatible with Windows Vista.

I hope that is useful

Danny

Yes, I have Vista and no, no mention of wireless in device manager. So it's off to the shops tomorrow for a dongle.

Thanks for your help.

Four days now into our new life in France - it makes soooooooooooo much difference having the internet.

Patrick

Thanks once again. To answer your question Ernie, I'm with Orange - no alternative here. I signed up a two weeks before leaving the UK as  I knew it could take time and I wanted the connection to be available straight away, which it was. A neighbour was told it takes a week to get on line. I managed to get connected without using the supplied disc from Orange as I didn't want a load of their software on my machine. Incidentally, I'm on a deal of 1 mega for €24.99 a month  sans engagement, supposedly.

Patrick

Thanks bixy, thats sounds like a good way to go and I will probably do likewise when I have a firm date to decamp UK.

I thouroughly agree with you re rubbish software from setup ISP CD's BTW. Reminiscent of when Freeserve started up in the UK and using the CD hijacked IE.

Bon chance with your new life in France.