Phoning a U.K. mobile?

[quote user="Spg"]

[quote user="cooperlola"]  I too don't get the + business - how do you enter it in your phone book?[/quote]

Just hold down the 0 key for longer than normal and the 0 changes to a + at least that's how it is on my phone.

Sue

[/quote]

Another mystery solved. Tks Sue.

[quote user="Loiseau"]

Yes, it won't work from a foreign country if you haven't got the national code in there.  I always enter mine, on my UK phone, in +44 format too.

Angela

[/quote]

The question was will it work without the 0044  TO a foreign country and the answer is YES.  You just dial the ordinary 07 or whatever number.  In France to dial a French mobile in the UK,  you just dial 06 etc

Yes, Ron.  However, I still feel that if you put international codes in for all the numbers, they work regardless of where you are.  I don't seem to get charged more.  It just means that you don't have to think about it - makes life a little easier all around if you travel a bit.

[quote user="Ron Avery"][quote user="Loiseau"]

Yes, it won't work from a foreign country if you haven't got the national code in there.  I always enter mine, on my UK phone, in +44 format too.

Angela

[/quote]

The question was will it work without the 0044  TO a foreign country and the answer is YES.  You just dial the ordinary 07 or whatever number.  In France to dial a French mobile in the UK,  you just dial 06 etc

[/quote]

Sorry for the confusion Ron, but I live in France (see avitar,etc.) and I may need to phone an English mobile that will be here in France and I wanted to know if I had to put the 0044 in front of the number regardless of if it is a mobile or a landline phone I am using. The answer seems to be yes. The mobile I would be phoning is an English one with an 07 number, but it would be here in France.

[8-)]

I don't know about your supplier(and their network supplier in France) but when I am in France I can ring another UK mobile(in France) just be using their UK number.This is probably because of the way mobiles work.They send out a signal when you turn them on and approx. every 15 mins. afterwards to say "Here I Am" which will be picked up by the foreign network and passed back to the UK;the home computer controlling the network,somewhere in the UK stores this info.The person you are trying to contact's location will also be stored on his supplier's computer.The computers know to within a few miles where you are as long as your phone is on-if it isn't it knows where you were last;in a city where there are many more aerials,your location will be known to within 50yds.When I go to the Continent I am barely over the channel before the French supplier welcomes me and my UK supplier gives me details of EU services.

[quote user="Jc"]I think you will find it stores them that way in it's memory irrespective of what is shown on the display.[/quote]How can it know which country the number relates to if you have never put the code in? (Unless it's been saved from an incoming call).

[quote user="Jc"]If your home supplier(O2,Virgin etc.) is a UK one!!![/quote]

Now I'm totally confused. Jonzjob's question is about phoning a UK number from a French phone. Cooperlola also has a French phone. So what have O2 and Virgin got to do with this?

[quote user="fulcrum"]

I've only ever used 00 because I've never understood the meaning of the + symbol at the beginning.

It obviously doesn't matter which you use. But you must use one of them.

[/quote]

It's advisable to use the + sign rather than 00.  Unlike France and UK, not all countries use 00 as an international prefix.

Angela

Well, I thought that I was sure before, but now I am more confusticated [8-)].

Simply (a necessity for me!) when I, in France, use my French phone to phone a U.K. based mobile (07), where ever it is. Do I need the U.K. prefix, whatever it is, on the front of the mobile number please?

Nurse! I need me medication again!!![:-))][8-)] quickly?!?!

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Well, I thought that I was sure before, but now I am more confusticated [8-)].

Simply (a necessity for me!) when I, in France, use my French phone to phone a U.K. based mobile (07), where ever it is. Do I need the U.K. prefix, whatever it is, on the front of the mobile number please?

Nurse! I need me medication again!!![:-))][8-)] quickly?!?!

[/quote]

John

If you dial 0044 or +44 and then the mobile number, less the leading zero,  you will be guaranteed to make the call OK.

Someone already said that further up the thread. 

[quote user="Cjlaws"][quote user="Jc"]If your home supplier(O2,Virgin etc.) is a UK one!!![/quote]
Now I'm totally confused. Jonzjob's question is about phoning a UK number from a French phone. Cooperlola also has a French phone. So what have O2 and Virgin got to do with this?
[/quote]The o/p's question was about a UK call from a UK phone which was in France at the time, Christopher.  Way back when....

I agree [:-))]

[quote user="cooperlola"]

[quote user="Cjlaws"][quote user="Jc"]If your home supplier(O2,Virgin etc.) is a UK one!!![/quote]
[/quote]The o/p's question was about a UK call from a UK phone which was in France at the time, Christopher.  Way back when....

I agree [:-))]

[/quote]

Hi Coops, the o/p, me, was talking about a French phone trying to call a U.K. mobile that is in France... Not U.K. to U.K. at all. We have not set foot in the U.K. since we arrived here over 2 1/2 years ago and have no intention of doing so. Our phones, mobile, landline, Skype and gawd knows who else are all French based.

I will just stick 0044 in front of the number and drop the leading zero. I am not really worried if Outer Tongo has a zebra or a '^$^$' in front of the number, France and the U.K. don't. So thank you all for your input, night, night and bon Paques...