Tele2 box and alternative routers

As Orange is owned by France Telecom, who put the phone lines in, are you saying that Tele2 have put their own shorter lines to the exchange to give you a faster speed? The maximum speed that you can get depends on the lines not the provider. If one provider can give you a 2MB connection then they all can.

You should be able to use your Netgear 834 with any provider. A wise choice of modem/router, in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

I have degroupage so tele2 bought the line.

I pay 35euro/month for line and ADSL

But the tele2 phone is VOIP so it must go through the tele2 box. France telecom are no longer involved.

The tele2 box is ok but not open to tweeking.

I'm looking for a generic router/adsl/modem with voip built in.

Netgear don't do them with voip included.

Weirdly enough each provider seems to buy a certain bandwidth and puts an automatic cap in the box.

Tele2 runs here at a cozy 2Mbs but neuf at only 512. However the voip suffers on tele2 where it's solid with neuf.

I'd like to be able to adjust things to suit my daily changing ADSL needs.

Any clues?

<< The tele2 box is ok but not open to tweeking. I'm looking for a generic router/adsl/modem with voip built in.
Netgear don't do them with voip included. >>

I always thought VOIP was a software not a hardware issue. Has anybody found a halfways decent deal where you provide the ADSL box. I object to paying Euros 3 a month rent for a piece of kit which costs less than 30 smacks of the old days with 'phones and the Post Office.  I also object to pluging a Box, which I cannot replace, be it Alice Orange or Cricket into our assorted PCs .

Any advice gratefully recieved

There is one solution 'wengo' phone. Voip with dedicated box that connects to your generic router/adsl modem. Very very cheap!

But I agree, it's annoying to be stuck with their box. However I'm saving 40Euro/month and chating to clients globally for free.

Sometime when more options are available I'll change.