WHAT'S THE BEST VISA,IN THE LONG RUN?

What's the best VISA,in the long run?

Hi,..I'm 53,from US,retired for last 5 years,and now living the simple and less expensive way of life with my wonderful Filipina wife here in the Philippines. We are wanting to live in France for a year,or two,or(forever?)......Would anyone know the best visa to apply for,just to make SURE we are APPROVED. Ex: Visitor Visa for non-working(retired)..or if I would be better off for a type of free-lance working(musician) that doesnt require gov. working authorization,etc..

Also,if I dont work in france,(have no income)..do I need to pay tax? if so,based on what? What are other costs I might not be aware of? What is the accepted medical insurance coverage?

We are wanting to rent a small room for a few months while we look for a permanent long term rental ...Somewhere within a few miles of the southern coast,near the rail line,with some ancient charm(not the new concrete jungle)...from Menton,near Italy...to Collioures ,near Spain.....

Any help on any or all of these issues is appreciated,
Merci en avance, Rick and Aubriella

[quote user="aubreyvela"]
Also,if I dont work in france,(have no income)..do I need to pay tax? if so,based on what?
[/quote]

I believe that you will have to show proof of sufficient income that you can support yourself. When living in France you are liable for taxation on your worldwide income, from whatever source (eg savings interest). There are things that you may be able to do in advance to reduce the taxable amount .

Regards

Pickles

Thanks for helping,Pickles...  Might u know ,is there a set level.like 8500 E,(lets say u only earn 5000E yearly from interest income),that wouldn't make it necessary to pay tax in France?  I havent had to pay in US for last 5 years(the rate of return on interest right now is Almost Nothing..:(

Also,does anyone know the minimum requirements for health insurance that is valid to live as French resident,with the new laws now?  Like the Euro/dollar amount of coverage needed per day for hosp.? etc... Can some travel ins. qualify? 

Merci bien, Aubrey and Rick