New from april -France telecom-Broadband no contract and free uk calls for 39 Euros plus line charge

Hello-I have recently joined.

I am in process of setting up my broadband at my holiday home in Brittany.

France telecom have advised me that they have a new 'A La arte' Broadband package which does not have a minimum contract period.

For 24 Euros it will provide up 1Mb  Broadband and for a further 15 Euros unlimited calls to Uk can be made via a compatible France telecom phone via the livebox.This is to Uk landlines.

I have previously used phoneexpat but this looks like a good potential future saving.

Can someone with good computer knowledge tell me the best way to set this up please and verify that this France telecom package is as advised.

[quote user="lancashire lad"]

Hello-I have recently joined.

I am in process of setting up my broadband at my holiday home in Brittany.

France telecom have advised me that they have a new 'A La arte' Broadband package which does not have a minimum contract period.

For 24 Euros it will provide up 1Mb  Broadband and for a further 15 Euros unlimited calls to Uk can be made via a compatible France telecom phone via the livebox.This is to Uk landlines.

I have previously used phoneexpat but this looks like a good potential future saving.

Can someone with good computer knowledge tell me the best way to set this up please and verify that this France telecom package is as advised.

[/quote]

the cost of the Orange pack is 24.90 plus

3 euros for the livebox plus

10 euros for VOIP calls in France only plus

7 euros for the VOIP calls europe and elsewhere.

So that makes 44.90 to me... there are also conditions about how to cancel - 1 month ahead in writing, there is an activation period of probably 15 days before everything works. Don't forget the line rental of 15 euros per month too.

It all depends how often you are there.

Cheryla's example is 34.90 with neuf all in - no line rental either and comprehensive unlimited telephone. The same pack is usually available from Free.fr for 29.99 all in. (There are other condition for these packages too)

Get the calculator working EDIT: sorry if that came across as rude but what I meant was  - see what works out best for your situation! not learn to count!

Danny

Athene,

It is not 'free' calls but inlimited VOIP calls through the livebox (phone plugged in to the livebox). For this you would pay 10 euros extra per month for calls to landlines in France ( 5 euros if you have 12 month contract) then another 7 euros for calls to rest of EU and US and others. So you will pay extra for it. Go to the Orange website and enter your tel number to see what you are eligible for.

Danny

PS there are other broadband offers from Neuf, Free, Alice etc which are cheaper if you are interested

Our Orange France (i.e. France Telecom) broadband has an add-on service via the Livebox that gives free calls to most of Europe, including Britain, as well as France (including French mobiles) and, I believe, some of N America as well, for an extra 7€ per month. It's called something like 'minutes et mobiles'. We do have a contract period I think. I'm not quite sure what the 10€ unlimited call package plus 7€ for UK calls offers in addition to this.

Will,

The 'minutes et mobiles service' you refer to is the 7 euros per month extra I was referring to. This gives you VOIP calls to Europe US etc but... you must have the 'telephonie illimite'(France only) already in your deal. Otherwise on the a la carte ( read: no 12 month abonnement) deal, this is 10 euros extra first of all then the 7 euro part on top.

Is that clear ? clearer? sorry if it wasn't before. Now, after 3 glasses at lunchtime I can't communicate very well

It is always more expensive with Orange than the competition but for some it is worth the extra cost

Danny

I can see where the confusion arises. If you go for the à la carte option, which you did, then you have to add on the telephone option before you can have the minutes et mobiles. If you do as we did, and chose the internet + telephone one then you don't need to add on the illimité, as you get it anyway.

So it probably amounts to exactly the same thing in the end [:D].

Either way you need an Orange livebox for the phone to work.

Having read so many bad reports of people going for the integrated phone/internet package with other cheaper providers and being left without either or both services, we stuck with France Telecom, thinking that it stood a better chance of getting sorted out in case of troubles as in theory there is no third party company which will blame the FT line for the problems. I know a lot of people are satisfied with Free, Neuf, etc but as I depend on phone and internet for work it was not a chance I was prepared to take. Anyway, not all of them are available on our exchange. And Tiscali, which is, refused to upgrade our unlimited dial-up account for some reason known only to themselves - their loss rather than ours.

Since I have been in France, first I used Tiscali; then Wanadoo (Orange) and now I am with Teleconnect.

There are many advantages over the other two. First no contract; you can leave at any time. The monthly fee is 29.95 plus 5 euros for unlimited call to UK, Canada, Australia etc and a further 5 euros for calls made to France.

The great advantage is that there is a free helpline and all instructions; conversations and emails are in English. Speed varies according to the distance from the exchange. The service is first-rate.

I cant fault it after using the previous servers!

Whilst Budgettelecom/Teleconnect's English language service has it's attractions their network is one of the smallest, so there are many places which are not covered. As they do not offer the fall-back option utilized by most other providers, IE using the FT network until their own expands, if you are not in their coverage area then you will have to use one of the mainstream providers.

If I were looking for ADSL I would opt for the Dartybox service  which seems to be getting a good reception capitalising on Darty's reputation for good customer service.