Difficult - to move to FRANCE???

Hi,we are trying to learn some of the pitfalls we may encounter starting with the"long stay visa"for non working.,and if we make it to france,what problems we may have obtaining carte de sejour.

My husband,american 53,retired early (sans ret.income),but has enough savings to stay in france for some years (if we live the austere lifestyle ...

I am filipina 36,(sans US passport)We're legally married here in phils.,where we now live.

At the moment we're trying to find a small apartment ( can't be hotel says the french embassy)as one of the visa requirements.(we need 2 or 3 mos.lease doc.or "promise to lease"somewhere in the south but don't want to pay for a vacation "gite" on the sea,(maybe small village near the rail)

We're a little paranoid that for the CDS,they will ask for obscure documents impossible to acquire such as,US long form birth cert.,vaccination records,my husband has'nt file tax returns (legally) for 5 years,the type of medical insurance we must have for non-EU CDS.(if its diff.than what the french embassy needs.

And also we have no idea, what the stipend is for re:language course,we both have pretty good beginner skills...

Also if anyone has a very small room studio anywhere bet.italy and spain w/in 30km of the Med.coast.near the 500euros monthly.We can only sign a short term as we dont have CDS yet.

Any details would be appreciated.
Thanks,aubri and ric

Either I am very transparent or you are very perceptive---Yes,I am on the run,a fugitive from US,charged with "contempt for greed,delusions of superiority, and stupidity" .  Also wanted for "disgust for 'unwarranted entitlement due to imagined attractiveness'. 

Ok...:).... you get my subtle point.  It's ironic that the people that are very cautious,...'paranoid'(from so many horror bureaucracy blogs)...careful to obey  and respect the laws of another country,can be misconstrued as one who is ......'on the run'.    I dont take anything personally,but I got a good laugh out of that one ,though. I can assure you,Tony 'Scarface' Montana and wife are not on their way to France...:)    (Plus,I think they require documents that give police clearance)

I appreciate the concern, but we are really just trying to find out,BEFORE we get there,if there is anyone that can relate any pertinent,intelligent information to our cause.

Merci bien,......Richard 'Kimball'...:)

[quote user="aubreyvela"]   

I appreciate the concern, but we are really just trying to find out,BEFORE we get there,if there is anyone that can relate any pertinent,intelligent information to our cause. 

[/quote]

This article (clickable link) might give you some food for thought; it's from this parent site  which seems to be able to cope with US enquiries.

Something to read until someone knowledgeable comes along.

Sue

[quote user="aubreyvela"]

Either I am very transparent or you are very perceptive---Yes,I am on the run,a fugitive from US,charged with "contempt for greed,delusions of superiority, and stupidity" .  Also wanted for "disgust for 'unwarranted entitlement due to imagined attractiveness'. 

Ok...:).... you get my subtle point.  It's ironic that the people that are very cautious,...'paranoid'(from so many horror bureaucracy blogs)...careful to obey  and respect the laws of another country,can be misconstrued as one who is ......'on the run'.    I dont take anything personally,but I got a good laugh out of that one ,though. I can assure you,Tony 'Scarface' Montana and wife are not on their way to France...:)    (Plus,I think they require documents that give police clearance)

Merci bien,......Richard 'Kimball'...:)[/quote]

Glad I gave you a good laugh. Have fun.

• 4 months later...
If you haven't yet been to the office where you will apply/receive your Carte de Sejour...let me alert you ahead of time that if you are going to the office in Nice, be there well before the gate opens at 7:30am. If you arrive at 7:30am, you will be in the back of the bunch - not a good thing. When the gate opens, the crowd must then form a line at the door to the building up ahead a bit, which opens at 9:00am. Watch out, people will budge here...don't let them, take it from me. People will try to use children and grandmothers to get ahead in line. It's in your best interest to form a brick wall. Once the door opens to the building you must go to a 3rd and final line. They will see THE FIRST 65 PEOPLE ONLY and anyone after that receives an appt to come at another time. My husband and I were number 64 and we thought we were doing well.

I am unaware if all offices operate this way, but if someone had warned us ahead of time, we would've secured a better spot in line. FYI, wear running shoes...because no joke, when that 1st gate opens at 7:30am, people will sprint to get to the next line. Finally catching on to this sense of urgency, when that 2nd door opened at 9:00am, my husband and I took off in a sprint. Good thing too...because if we had walked, we never would've been #64, and I wouldn't have gotten my carte de sejour that day.

Bonne Chance,

Daniela

Daniela.  That explains a lot.  My worst day in France was standing in front of the Bordeaux Prefecture at 8am, attempting to get my carte gris.  I was being pushed and shoved by all sorts of people from afar, mainly North Africa. 

It was very scary as I thought that someone was going to get seriously hurt - trampled on or even stabbed.  The gendarmes had to be called to restore order.  I wondered why everyone was so aggressive but had no idea that there would have been a limit on permits they issue to the amassed crowd. 

I was angry that carte gris applicants weren't given a separate door to enter.  For my most recent carte gris, I went to the Sous-Prefecture.