Driving license in France

Hello,

I'm looking for someone that did the driving license "conversion" with

Fehrenbach driving school.

http://www.frenchlicense.eu

I want to know how it went, what is the level etc.

Also, I would like to buy the 2 DVDs and the book (used). Just make a price :)

Merci !

Elihai

That statement from their first page is not true:

[quote]French law requires foreigners to have  a French

driver's licence to drive in France if they are a resident for more

than one year.[/quote]

An EU licence is legal in France and it can be exchanged if a French licence is required or preferred, without the need to pass a driving test.

[quote user="elihai"]Well, it is true[/quote]Sorry, but as a literal statement is definitely is NOT true, but you know it because of your mention of not having an EU licence [:)]

It seems to me one major drawback of this outfit is that they are only in Paris so you have to add in the expense of going/staying there to the cost.

I can't say that I know anyone who has used them but I do know an

American couple who are really struggling with taking the test locally.

I'm sure you've done your research but out of interest what driving licence do you have ?

Elihai,

My wife and I used Fehrenbach to prepare for our written and performance test.  We thought their instruction was excellent especially for us with limited French language skills at the time.  Our primary instructor was an American who guided us through the process very well. Yes, it was a hassle to have to travel to Paris for the instruction but we considered it worthwhile as we would not have been able to pass the exam, at the time, without the skillful instruction.  Ask for Susan if she is still available.

We both passed the written exam the first time in spite of the fact that the translator provided by the examiners was German and did not translate properly. For example, he would say something like:  "At the next intersection you may...." when the actual text said "At the next intersection you must...."  Seemingly small difference but it confused many in the examining room. We, fortunately, had been trained so well that we knew the difference in the French text and got the right answers in spite of the poor translation.

You do not mention your nationality, but I would just remind you that if you are an American from certain U.S.  States you can simply exchange your US license for a French license. We, unfortunately, were from Oregon which does not have an agreement with France for license exchange.

Good luck!

For information this is the list of countries with which France has a reciprocal agreement.

Afrique du Sud,Algérie, Andorre, Antigua et Barbuda, Arabie Saoudite, Arménie (si le permis a été délivré avant le 1/1/1992 au nom de l'URSS), Australie (échange limité aux permis de catégories A et B), Azerbaïdjan (si le permis a été délivré avant le 1/1/1992 au nom de l'URSS), Bahamas, Bahreïn, Bélize, Bénin, Bhoutan, Biélorussie (si le permis a été délivré avant le 1/1/1992 au nom de l'URSS), Birmanie, Bolivie, Bosnie-Herzégovine (si le permis a été délivré avant le 27/4/1992 au nom de la Yougoslavie), Botswana, Brésil

(échange limité aux états ou territoires suivants : Accre, Amapa,

Amazonas, district fédéral, Goias, Mato Grosso, Rondonia, Roraima,

Tocantins, Bahia, Ceara, Maranhâo, Praiba, Pernambuco, Esperito Santos,

Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro, Mato Grosso do Sul, Parana, Rio Grande do

Sul, Santa Catarina, Sao Paulo), Brunei, Burkina Faso (pas d'échange des permis de catégorie D), Burundi, Canada

[échange limité aux provinces suivantes : Alberta (échange limité aux

permis de catégorie B), Ile du Prince Edward (échange limité aux permis

de catégorie B), Nouveau-Brunswick, Ontario (échange limité aux permis

de catégorie B), comtés nord et sud du Québec (échange limité aux

permis de catégorie B) ], Cap-Vert, Centrafricaine (République), Chine (échange limité aux permis délivrés à Macao avant le 31/12/1999 et à ceux délivrés à Hong-Kong), Colombie, Corée du Sud, Costa Rica, Côte d'Ivoire (échange limité aux permis de catégories A et B), Croatie, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominique (La), Egypte, Emirats Arabes Unis, Etats-Unis d'Amérique

[échange limité à certains Etats : Delaware (échange limité aux permis

de catégorie B), Ohio (échange limité aux permis de catégorie B),

Pennsylvanie (échange limité aux permis de catégories A et B), Virginie

(échange limité aux permis de catégorie B), Caroline du Sud, New

Hampshire, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Arkansas (échange

limité aux permis de catégorie B), Colorado (échange limité aux permis

de catégorie B), Floride (échange limité aux permis de catégories A et

B), Connecticut (échange limité aux permis de catégories A et B)], Ethiopie, Gabon, Gambie, Géorgie (si le permis a été délivré avant le 1/1/1992 au nom de l'URSS), Grenade, Guatemala, Guinée-Bissau, Guinée équatoriale, Guyana, Honduras, Iles vierges britanniques, Iran (échange limité aux permis de catégorie B), Jamaïque (échange limité aux permis de catégories A et B), Japon, Jordanie, Kazakhstan (si le permis a été délivré avant le 1/1/1992 au nom de l'URSS), Kenya, Kirghizistan (si le permis a été délivré avant le 1/1/1992 au nom de l'URSS), Koweït, Laos, Liban, Libéria, Libye, Macédoine, Madagascar, Malaisie, Malawi, Mali, Maroc, Maurice, Mauritanie, Moldavie (si le permis a été délivré avant le 1/1/1992 au nom de l'URSS), Monaco, Monténégro, Mozambique, Namibie, Népal, Nicaragua, Niger, Oman, Ouzbékistan (si le permis a été délivré avant le 1/1/1992 au nom de l'URSS), Panama,

Papouasie-Nouvelle Guinée, Paraguay, Philippines, Russie,

Saint-Christophe et Nieves, Sainte-Lucie, Saint-Marin, Saint-Vincent et

les Grenadines, Salvador, Samoa, Sao Tomé et Principe, Sénégal, Serbie,

Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapour, Soudan, Suisse, Surinam,

Swaziland, Syrie, Tadjikistan
(si le permis a été délivré avant le 1/1/1992 au nom de l'URSS), Taïwan, Tchad, Togo, Tunisie, Turkménistan

(si le permis a été délivré avant le 1/1/1992 au nom de l'URSS),

Turquie, Ukraine (si le permis a été délivré avant le 1/1/1992 au nom

de l'URSS), Vanuatu et Vietnam.

[quote user="Joerger École"]

Elihai,

My wife and I used Fehrenbach to prepare for our written and performance test.  We thought their instruction was excellent especially for us with limited French language skills at the time.  Our primary instructor was an American who guided us through the process very well. Yes, it was a hassle to have to travel to Paris for the instruction but we considered it worthwhile as we would not have been able to pass the exam, at the time, without the skillful instruction.  Ask for Susan if she is still available.

We both passed the written exam the first time in spite of the fact that the translator provided by the examiners was German and did not translate properly. For example, he would say something like:  "At the next intersection you may...." when the actual text said "At the next intersection you must...."  Seemingly small difference but it confused many in the examining room. We, fortunately, had been trained so well that we knew the difference in the French text and got the right answers in spite of the poor translation.

You do not mention your nationality, but I would just remind you that if you are an American from certain U.S.  States you can simply exchange your US license for a French license. We, unfortunately, were from Oregon which does not have an agreement with France for license exchange.

Good luck!

[/quote]

Thanks for the info (for you and the others)

Two things : I live in Paris do no extra expanses, and my license is Israeli - not exchangable :)

When did you do the process?  Can I buy from you the 2 DVDs and the book?  I think on going to the exam by myself...

Merci!

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="elihai"]Well, it is true[/quote]Sorry, but as a literal statement is definitely is NOT true, but you know it because of your mention of not having an EU licence [:)]

It seems to me one major drawback of this outfit is that they are only in Paris so you have to add in the expense of going/staying there to the cost.

I can't say that I know anyone who has used them but I do know an American couple who are really struggling with taking the test locally.

I'm sure you've done your research but out of interest what driving licence do you have ?[/quote]

Ernie, are your friends certain that their US licenses were issued by states that don't have a reciprocal agreement with France?  Several states do.

[quote user="Joerger École"]

Sorry I can't help you. There were no DVD's when we took the course and I have long lost the booklet - though I suspect it would be out of date by now.  I wish you the best.

James

[/quote]

Thanks and all the best to you too...

[quote user="ErnieY"]Oh yes, well aware of the situation and no way would they have put themselves through the trauma if there was any possible alternative [:'(]

[/quote]

Okay, I just asked because the DH occasionally gets the notion that he would like to (try to) get a French DL the hard way.  (I think he's insane as our licenses were issued in Florida.)

• 4 weeks later...
I have a United States driver's license, issued in the state of Maine. I also have an international driver's permit.

Can anyone advise me on what I need to do in order to obtain a French driver's license?

I am a full time resident here now, in Provence.

thanks guys -

I have no idea what an 'international drivers permit' is as no such thing exists in European terms but to get a French licence you will have to take the French driving test.

Normally you will have to do this within a year of arrival.

Perhaps I should have said "I have no idea what a US 'international drivers permit' is as no such thing is required in European terms" but no matter (too lazy to Google it truth be told [:$])

Locically though, as an adjujnct to a US licence from a state which is not party to an exchange agreement in France, possession of an IDP will be of no assistance to the OP in his quest for a French licence.

Apart from anything else, if similar to a UK issued IDP, it will only be valid for 12 months anyway.

BTW, if anybody is in need of an IDP from the UK, then it can only be sent to the address on the licence which could be a stumbling block for some.

• 4 weeks later...

Daniela,

There are 10 or so States in the US which have reciprocity with France regarding driver's licenses.

Americans who have been issued a valid driver’s license from Colorado, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Florida or South Carolina, (or an EEC/European Union license), may exchange their license for a French one without passing a test, but only within the first year after the official date of entry into France. You may still retain your US driver’s license upon request.  http://www.americansintoulouse.com

The International permit is worthless.

Which I think is what I said earlier [;-)]

[quote user="AnOther"] Etats-Unis d'Amérique

[échange limité à certains Etats : Delaware (échange limité aux permis

de catégorie B), Ohio (échange limité aux permis de catégorie B),

Pennsylvanie (échange limité aux permis de catégories A et B), Virginie

(échange limité aux permis de catégorie B), Caroline du Sud, New

Hampshire, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Arkansas (échange

limité aux permis de catégorie B), Colorado (échange limité aux permis

de catégorie B), Floride (échange limité aux permis de catégories A et

B), Connecticut (échange limité aux permis de catégories A et B)]

[/quote]