AMERICANS WANTING TO MOVE TO FRANCE

Joerger,

I have great hopes for Obama.  We lived in D.C. for over 20 years, and I know of some of the players and believe that this administration will have excellent relations with the French.  Things are looking up slightly in the States, but I am not so optimistic to believe that the problems will be over quickly.  If health care gets through, hopefully with some of the qualities seen in the French system, then perhaps the other issues will begin to be positively addressed also, and Obama will be able to mend fences with Europe. 

I am sure that you know that for citizens of other countries moving to the States, it has never been easy.  I am not sure of when the immigration laws changed whereby each country was given quotas on just how many green cards were issued; however, that system has been in place for many years.

Until Bush and 9/11 many foreign students stayed and became citizens after finishing their degrees.  I also know may French people who after working in the States a few years, requested and received green cards.  And, their children born there were automatically American citizens.

Sorry I got off tract a bit.  I think that my family is incredibily lucky to have the opportunity and the resources to be able to live in France.  Hopefully we will be able to resove our problems,and I can forget about ever having to board another plane! (And have my son marry a wonderful French woman!)  BTW, we have two beautiful standard Poodles who have advised  me that they refuse to leave a country that absolutely adores them and even lets them freely visit cafes and well just almost everywhere.