Lightning Strike

Some weeks ago we had a lightning strike.  No warning, just one clap of thunder and one massive crack of lightning.  We lost our Alice Box.  Alice sent us a replacement within 3 days as promised which hubby duly set up.  He had to do it via USB port as it wouldn't work via the Ethernet.  The trouble is that the line keeps going down which is very frustrating as the only way to get it back is by restarting the computer.  Do you think the computer (Sony Vaio) or the phone line has been damaged as well?  I would be very grateful if someone could help.  (In basic non technical terms if possible please).  We have now got surge protectors fitted.  A bit late I know!

Sue

[quote user="Pushkin"]

He had to do it via USB port as it wouldn't work via the Ethernet.  The trouble is that the line keeps going down which is very frustrating as the only way to get it back is by restarting the computer.  [/quote]

I'm not an expert but it sounds as though your ethernet card has taken a hit. You might need to replace it, though that might not be your only problem so you will need to look at your system resources and see what it working and what needs replacing.

Sue

If your pc was connected via the ethernet port, into the alice box and then the phone line then you'll most likely have blown the ethernet port.

You can claim on your house insurance: phone them in the first instance and tell them you are taking the pc for diagnostic tests following a recent storm -- be honest with your dates but if you leave it much longer they'll no doubt dismiss your claim. Take it to the local pc place and tell him you want a devis for a new pc IF your current one has sustained irreperable damage (down to him to diagnose). Send off the devis to your insurance company, they'll issue you with a cheque minus the excess at a rate they think your pc is currently worth.

You'll either end up with enough to salvage your old pc or put toward a new one; it's not old for new as far as I know.

Get it checked out, damage may not have stopped at your ethernet port/card.

Yeah but we're talking a Sony Vaio here, no part of those are cheap.

My eldest boy works as a summer/saturday job in a computer shop, he goes to Uni next month and as a going away pressie, his boss is giving him a laptop.  He's being given an IBM as 'Not even you can break one of those'.  We'll see .....

Thank you all for your prompt replies and good advice.  We will get in touch with the insurance people, get FT to check the line and find somewhere to get the computer assessed. 

Bones, you are quite right, the Internet is only the main problem.  The computer is not performing very well in other ways.

My next question is!!  Is there an enterprising person in the Saintes/Rochefort area who has set up business as a computer expert?  If not, can anyone recommend someone?  I have seen a place on the outskirts of Saintes so, failing all else, we will go there.

Thanks once again.

Sue

This small inexpensive device made by Belkin  prevents both power surges via the phone lines and electricity mains is a very useful piece of equipment. It also great for laptop owners on the move. http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=154524  It comes with a lifetime €55,000 Connected Equipment Warranty. It is also available for UK plugs with a £35,000 warranty.

Baz