Outgoing email via orange.fr blocked

Orange.fr, in their wisdom, this week have blocked "port 25" which many mail servers use for connecting to outgoing smtp servers.  If you are having problems sending emails via your own (other than Orange) mail server then you will need to change the port number.  You will need to check with your host company which other ports they use but many seem to use port 587 so it may be worth trying that first.

To change the port, assuming you are an Outlook or Outlook Express user, go into tools/accounts and then select the account by clicking one on the account name, then click on properties and then select the advanced tab. In the top box you will see the smtp port number set to 25 - simply change this to 587 (or whatever your host company has told you to use) and click on apply.

[quote user="Eslier"]Orange.fr, in their wisdom, this week have blocked "port 25" which many mail servers use for connecting to outgoing smtp servers.  If you are having problems sending emails via your own (other than Orange) mail server then you will need to change the port number.  You will need to check with your host company which other ports they use but many seem to use port 587 so it may be worth trying that first.

To change the port, assuming you are an Outlook or Outlook Express user, go into tools/accounts and then select the account by clicking one on the account name, then click on properties and then select the advanced tab. In the top box you will see the smtp port number set to 25 - simply change this to 587 (or whatever your host company has told you to use) and click on apply.
[/quote]

I'm glad you mentioned that because we just had to change email addresses here and they both used 25 for SMTP. 

The interesting thing is that, when I looked at my mail account settings, my Wanadoo email account is set to port 25 for SMTP and that works on my US provider, but I got an error message when I tried to change it to 587. 

So, my question is, what port do I need to send messages from my Wanadoo account when I'm in France using Orange as my ISP?

Accessing your Orange/Wanadoo account should still be ok on port 25 at the moment but there are still issues with some ISPs blocking emails that originate from that server. One way around this is to reconfigure your Orange/Wanadoo account to make use of their secure server using port 587. Detailed instructions as to how to do this can be found at:

http://www.orange.fr/bin/frame2.cgi?u=http://assistance.wanadoo.fr/reponse1354.asp

Thanks for the link, Eslier.  I normally only use the Wanadoo account for email with other Wanadoo/Orange victims, er clients, who might have trouble sending mail to my other accounts, so maybe the problem won't arise, but it will be handy to have the link if I need it.

I'll see what happens when I get back to France.

[quote user="TempsPerdu"]I've set up our PC to send out through the Orange SMTP servers, but still collect mail from the variety of servers I use. No need to use the same servers on the way out as you do on the way in...

Steve
[/quote]

Can you explain that in words of one syllable how you do that as I can receive mails OK at the moment using my email programme, Courrier, but cannot reply/send that way since yesterday. I use a variety of different servers too, but have no idea how to ask them if I can use port 587.

Sue

[quote user="Eslier"]Accessing your Orange/Wanadoo account should still be ok on port 25 at the moment but there are still issues with some ISPs blocking emails that originate from that server. One way around this is to reconfigure your Orange/Wanadoo account to make use of their secure server using port 587. Detailed instructions as to how to do this can be found at:
http://www.orange.fr/bin/frame2.cgi?u=http://assistance.wanadoo.fr/reponse1354.asp

[/quote]

I read up on this problem a month or two ago when (in my case) my e-mails could no longer be sent on my dial-up connection via the secure server smtp-msa.orange.fr port 587. There seems to be conflicting information in the French discussions.  I changed my settings to send via the non-secure server smtp.orange.fr port 25 and everything returned to normal and it remains that way. Unfortunately e-mails sent via the non-secure server may be rejected by some UK ISPs, among them NTL and Tesco, and the undeliverable message doesn't come back for a few days, no good for business use.

In passing, one German ISP, gmx.de is rejecting all messages coming from non-fixed IP addresses as potential spam. Orange will supply a fixed address but I think it's plus 30€ a month.

Steve

[quote user="spg"]

[quote user="TempsPerdu"]I've set up our PC to send out through the Orange SMTP servers, but still collect mail from the variety of servers I use. No need to use the same servers on the way out as you do on the way in...

Steve
[/quote]

Can you explain that in words of one syllable how you do that as I can receive mails OK at the moment using my email programme, Courrier, but cannot reply/send that way since yesterday. I use a variety of different servers too, but have no idea how to ask them if I can use port 587.

Sue

[/quote]

The port 587 mentioned is to access an alternative Orange SMTP server & is a red herring as far as this issue is concerned.

As you are aware you collect e-mail from various POP3 mail servers using port 110 & this is never blocked (unless you live in China or North Korea) but to send e-mail you use a SMTP server which by default is port 25.

For some reason, various ISPs (Orange, BT, AOL & a few others) block traffic on port 25 going to any SMTP server apart from their own, this is often a problem as other ISPs block all e-mail from certain other ISPs*.

Most SMTP servers will accept traffic on another port apart from 25 as a way of getting round this restriction, the number of this extra port varies from host to host, if they all used the same extra port ISPs would just block that one as well as port 25. You need to contact your host & ask if they have an extra SMTP server port.

* I just don't understand why anyone uses an ISP that blocks e-mails that could well be legitimate.

[quote user="Sc"]In passing, one German ISP, gmx.de is rejecting all messages coming from non-fixed IP addresses as potential spam. Orange will supply a fixed address but I think it's plus 30€ a month.[/quote]Don't know where you got this from SC, I do not have a static IP and my friends on GMX.de get my emails no problem.

[quote user="ErnieY"]Don't know where you got this from SC, I do not have a static IP and my friends on GMX.de get my emails no problem.[/quote]

I wondered about this as I don't know how they can determine if an IP address is fixed or not but a Google search on gmx.de static IP returns a lot of hits claiming that they do block e-mails from non-fixed IP addresses.

[quote user="ltf"] Googlemail uses the SMTP port 465, so I don't think it can be related to the port 25 being closed.[/quote]

It depends on how aggressive Orange are being with blocking use of other SMTP servers, they will know gmail & yahoo use port 465 as an alternative, so it would be a trivial task for them to block that as well as port 25.

[quote user="Breton Networks"]

[quote user="ErnieY"]Don't know where you got this from SC, I do not have a static IP and my friends on GMX.de get my emails no problem.[/quote]

I wondered about this as I don't know how they can determine if an IP address is fixed or not but a Google search on gmx.de static IP returns a lot of hits claiming that they do block e-mails from non-fixed IP addresses.

[/quote]

Thats probably where I got my reasoning from when I looked into it, but frankly its a while ago. The GMX server rules are at http://faq.gmx.net/optionen/email/antispam/4.html

I used my Yahoo mail account to send to the gmx address successfully, as I do with the UK problem ISP's.

Steve

[quote user="ltf"]Is anyone having any problems with Googlemail via outlook with Orange as the ISP, or is it just me? Googlemail uses the SMTP port 465, so I don't think it can be related to the port 25 being closed. I haven't been able to send my gmail e mails via Outlook since last night.
[/quote]

Are you still having trouble sending gmail via Outlook?  If not, did Orange solve the problem or did you find a fix?

[quote user="tenniswitch"]

[quote user="ltf"]Is anyone having any problems with Googlemail via outlook with Orange as the ISP, or is it just me? Googlemail uses the SMTP port 465, so I don't think it can be related to the port 25 being closed. I haven't been able to send my gmail e mails via Outlook since last night.

[/quote]

Are you still having trouble sending gmail via Outlook?  If not, did Orange solve the problem or did you find a fix?

[/quote]

It's OK now - I've had the problem before with outgoing gmails in Outlook, but it only lasted a couple of hours at most, not 24 hours. I think the problem was with Gmail, not Orange.