Installing my wireless router

Me again. Well, as I warned everyone, I seem to need advice again now that my wireless router has arrived. Have been trying to install it all morning. I have a sagem modem from Orange which works fine. I followed all the instructions for wiring up as given in the CD that came with the Netgear router. The router lights up the power light, the wireless light and the internet port light. But, when I disconnect the ethernet cable which runs from the modem to the computer and put it into the wireless router internet port, the modem stops working. So I guess that I am still only getting through to the internet through the modem and the router is just sitting there looking pretty but not actually doing anything.

One thing that bothers me slightly is that the connection on the end of the modem wire is a different type (smaller and squarer) from that on the blue cable which came with the router and it doesnt click into the port as satisfyingly. Could that be the problem?

I am talking Mac computer here.

Please help. My trusted guru seems to have gone off on a cruise!

[quote user="Simon"]The netgear router replaces the modem, you do not need both.

Simon
[/quote]

If you have a Netgear modem/router (such as the WGR614) that is correct.  Disconnect your Sagem modem.

Also, if you have set up any security (such as WPA) for the router, you will not be able to connect wirelessly until you have entered the correct network name and password for the internet connection from your computer.

By the way, if you are using the WGR614 modem/router, you don't need to use the CD or to download any software to your computer, just follow the printed directions that came with it.  Basically, you plug it in to your phone line and to electric supply and let it find your ISP, then you boot your computer and it should connect automatically to the router (given the caveat about security settings).

The Netgear website has downloadable user manuals for its routers.

Thanks for the two replies.

The router I have is a netgear WNR834B.

Sorry to be dim but I just cant work out how to plug it in to my phone line. It came with an adaptor (2 pin socket at the end) and a blue cable with thingies to go into ports at each end.

The CD showed pictures of linking up computer, modem and router altogether so that is what I tried to do.

Help.

Sorry if I've missed something here - but you say you are having trouble connecting the phone line to your Netgear - you used to use the Sagem modem - well, the plug that went to the Sagem from the phone socket should be the same that needs to now go to the new Netgear.

I did exactly what you're trying to do last year - it's a simple thing of unplugging one and plugging the lead into the other.

Tim

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've kind of butted in half way on this one.

[quote user="Polremy"]Thanks for the two replies. The router I have is a netgear WNR834B. Sorry to be dim but I just cant work out how to plug it in to my phone line. It came with an adaptor (2 pin socket at the end) and a blue cable with thingies to go into ports at each end. The CD showed pictures of linking up computer, modem and router altogether so that is what I tried to do. Help.[/quote]

Okay, that sounds like the router I have in the US.  For that one you will still need your modem.  First you turn everything off.  Unplug the modem and router if they're plugged in.  You leave your modem plugged into the phone line, but take the ethernet cable that connected the modem to your computer and use that to connect the modem to the internet port (the ethernet port) of your router.  The blue cable goes from one of the LAN ports on the router to the ethernet port on your computer.

Now, plug in the modem and turn it on.  Give it plenty of time to boot (it may take a couple of minutes).  After the modem is up and running, plug in the router and let it boot.  It should be ready when the power, internet, wireless and 1 LAN light (for whichever port you used to connect the computer) are lit.

Then you plug in your computer.  Did you get a User Manual with your router?  If not, you can read the full instructions for setting the router up manually by downloading the manual from: http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/netgear-WNR834B-manual.pdf.  You may need to get some info on settings from your internet service provider.

If you still can't connect wirelessly after you do the above, please post again and we'll try to help you track down the problem.

Thanks again.

Tenniswitch, yes, what you described is just what my cd told me to do. I did it all exactly but the LAN light didnt come on so I presumed I was just getting internet connection from my old modem.

I should add that my new laptop is due to arrive any day now which is why I am trying to get this router working. One less thing to worry about!

Should the cable currently in my computer and attached to the modem have a different sort of end from the cable provided with my router? This worries me slightly as it doesnt seem to fit exactly into the internet port of the router.

I'm not specifically familiar with your equipment but I would expect both cables, that is the one from the PC to the Router and the one from the Router to the Modem, to be standard Ethernet cables with identical plugs on them and therefore 100% interchangeable.

All you're doing is interposing your new Router in the line which previously went direct from the PC to the Modem so the cable which came out of the Modem goes into the top port of the Router and the new cable goes from the bottom (yellow) port of the Router to the Modem.

This is not meant unkindly but it's hard to see how you could get it wrong.

Break Break:

I've just spotted the fact that you're using a Mac about which I know less than nothing but with what you're saying about plugs looking different I'm wondering if this is your problem.

Question: does the Ethernet socket on the Mac look the same as the 4 ports on the Router ? I find it hard to believe that even Apple are daft enough to use a non standard socket for Ethernet but...........

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but, the WNR834B is for use with "cable" and is not compatible with a standard telephone line type ADSL connection.

On the plus side however, it is the very latest bit of "wireless-N" kit and is a great thing to have if you live in the UK and have Virgin Cable - probably not much use in rural France however.  If you are able to exchange it then the equivalent item for ADSL down a phone line is the DG834N.  If you aren't able to exchange it then you shouldn't have any trouble selling it on ebay-uk. This item is currently retailing new for about £80+ in the UK so you should be able to get about £60 for it I would have thought.

Can you point us to where this information comes from ?

Clearly the OP's modem works and the Router is just being introduced between it and the PC (or should I say Mac). Why would the Router care what type of modem it's plugged into ?

In the System Requiremens listed in it's specification it simply says

"Broadband (cable, DSL) Internet service and modem with Ethernet connection"

http://tinyurl.com/2ubebq

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Can you point us to where this information comes from ?

[/quote]

Apart from the fact that I have a brand new one of exactly the same model sitting, in its box, next to me now, waiting for me to take back and install it in England next month . . .

you can find full details of the spec at:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_broadband.php

In short, the WNR834B is a router only without having a built in ADSL modem.  If one has a suitable modem with ethernet conection then, of course, there is no reason why it cannot be used. The problem is, that the Sagem modem (supplied free or for 1€ by Wanadoo/Orange) is a USB modem and this isn't compatible with the router.  I suppose another option would be to purchase a simple ADSL modem with an ethernet port but this is likely to cost another 70€ or so anyway. Much less messy to try and exchange it for a DG834N if at all possible.

I know the Router is sans Modem but it's news to me that the Sagem modem is USB as I'm completely unfamilar with it nor was it clear from the OP that this was the case.

Spurred on by this revelation however I have just tried plugging a USB plug into an Ethernet socket and am highly bemused to find that not only does it go in but could be said by the inexperienced to "sort of" fit. Clearly this is not something which I personally have ever done before but I can now completely understand why Polremy says:

[quote user="Polremy"]One thing that bothers me slightly is that the connection on the end of the modem wire is a different type (smaller and squarer) from that on the blue cable which came with the router and it doesnt click into the port as satisfyingly. Could that be the problem?[/quote]

It just goes to show that sometimes it is unwise to make even the simplest assumptions !

Not meaning to poke fun at you Polremy but it simply never occurred to me that anyone would even think of shoving a USB plug into an Ethernet socket and of course that sods law would actually allow it to go in !!! [:-))]

So here is the conclusive answer to your problem then, and as Eslier rightly says, best get shot of it and get another one with built in Modem.

Thanks everyone.

As I see it, the good news is I'm not as dim as I thought and the bad news is I have the wrong router.

Have just sent packed it all way really carefully and sent an e mail to Darty asking if I can exchange it for a DG834N which I presume has the right sort of connection.

Not sure if they will let me since it has been sitting on my shelf for a couple of weeks waiting for me to be brave enough to open the box.

Fingers crossed.

Good move Pol, I don't suppose you're the first person to make the same mistake (very easy to make) so hopefully Darty will look kindly upon your request.

Whilst you are waiting for it to arrive, you can download the installation instructions, in English, from the Netgear website at: http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/dg834n.asp

You should find it very simple to set up if you follow the instructions - the software driver etc. can be installed in English from the CD provided. Just remember to select "France" as your location in the set up wizard to make sure you get the correct ADSL settings. You'll need your Orange/Wanadoo mail account (messagerie) name and password at hand to enter when asked.

Once installed you can consign your old Sagem modem to a dark cupboard and hopefully you'll never need it again.

It's also worth checking that you've got the latest version of firmware installed in your DG834N. The latest versions can be downloaded from the same link as shown above for manuals etc.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Darty just replied saying they wont exchange it because I have had it more than ten days. That spoilt my weekend.

Have written back playing the stupid English woman card (all of which is true) but don't suppose they will change their mind. Would you like another one?

Nope, Darty aren't playing ball.They wont exchange it. Anybody out there want a brand new Netgear Wireless router, top of the range? I paid 124.99euros for it.

Not having a good week really. This is the third day we have waited in for delivery of our new laptop. TNT decided that this was the wrong address apparently!

Good job we have plenty of liquid supplies in the house.

[quote user="Polremy"]Nope, Darty aren't playing ball.They wont exchange it. Anybody out there want a brand new Netgear Wireless router, top of the range? I paid 124.99euros for it. Not having a good week really. This is the third day we have waited in for delivery of our new laptop. TNT decided that this was the wrong address apparently! Good job we have plenty of liquid supplies in the house.[/quote]

That is bad news, Polremy, I hope you find someone who wants it (there's always Ebay).  If you decide to get another router, I'd suggest that you try the Netgear WGR614v6 modem/router.  You'll be able to ditch your old modem (and whatever software you had to install for it).  The WGR614 basically sets itself up & you don't have to install any software on your computer.  I'm far from a geek, but I didn't even need to use the accompanying disc & my internet connection is much more stable than when I used a Sagem modem.