Outside EU > France VIA UK port OK??

I've read the information here (and elsewhere) that it might save a whole lot of problems shipping my approx 4-5 cubic meters of container (smallish personal possessions) to a UK port, then collect it myself and truck it across to France. I'm UK citizen/passport holder retiring to France.

If I do this, are there any potential problems or risks? I presume I'd need to put a UK address as final destination address (can put UK family address), but somewhere along the line, would UK customs, upon collection by me, not want to see evidence of my planned residence in UK before they clear the goods for me? Or would it be as easy as pulling up with my truck, showing ID and docs for ownership etc., and loading up for France?

Any experience advice or opinions on my plan very welcome.

It's no more necessary to be UK resident to import personal goods or possessions goods into UK than it is to be French resident to import them into to France so whilst there is nothing wrong with your plan it seems largely pointless and potentially adds another layer of expense and aggravation in personally transporting your stuff across the channel.

What makes you think importing direct into France will be a problem ?

[quote user="AnOther"]It's no more necessary to be UK resident to import personal goods or possessions goods into UK than it is to be French resident to import them into to France so whilst there is nothing wrong with your plan it seems largely pointless and potentially adds another layer of expense and aggravation in personally transporting your stuff across the channel.

What makes you think importing direct into France will be a problem ?

[/quote]

Thanks for your reply.

I've read horror stories on other sites about French customs trying to charge TAV and import taxes. My personal possessions are fairly clearly only that and I have purchase receipts for the small number of more expensive items. They are going to a first residence, not second/holiday home.

Also, I think it would be a big saving shipping to the more central UK than France, and probably faster as the UK ports have more traffic.

Finally, in case I did get hassles, it would probably be easier to get to grips with UK customs than trying to do it all in French.

But if you or others still think I've got it wrong, I'm happy to listen to your advice and experiences.

To benefit from full exemption of taxes and duties on personal belongings, you have to be taking up permanent residence, so that rules out importing into the UK.

In addition, you must have lived outside the EU for a continuous period of at least twelve months, have possessed the goods for at least six months prior to the date of import, and they must be for your personal use.  If you sell, lend, hire out or otherwise dispose of them in the EU within 12 months of free importation, then you must notify customs and pay the duties and taxes.

The formalities on arrival in France are simple. You provide proof of residence plus a detailed inventory of the goods and complete a customs declaration. In return, you will receive a certified copy of your inventory as proof of clearance.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

To benefit from full exemption of taxes and duties on personal belongings, you have to be taking up permanent residence, so that rules out importing into the UK.

In addition, you must have lived outside the EU for a continuous period of at least twelve months, have possessed the goods for at least six months prior to the date of import, and they must be for your personal use.  If you sell, lend, hire out or otherwise dispose of them in the EU within 12 months of free importation, then you must notify customs and pay the duties and taxes.

The formalities on arrival in France are simple. You provide proof of residence plus a detailed inventory of the goods and complete a customs declaration. In return, you will receive a certified copy of your inventory as proof of clearance.

[/quote]

Thanks! That clears up a lot of uncertainties.

For the record:

15+ years outside EU

Possession for upwards of 10 years (plus all receipts) of anything of value (otherwise just books and CDs/DVDs and clothing)

All for my use only

What would be acceptable 'proof of residence'? Although on eventual arrival of the container and collection I imagine I will have lived there a month or more, so should have documentary proof by then.

French customs will require:

tout document prouvant que :

* vous possédiez votre résidence principale dans un pays tiers ;
* vous vous installez en France (certificat de changement de résidence, ordre de mutation pour les militaires et les fonctionnaires français ou carte de résident, d'immigrant, etc.).

You can produce the sale document for your former overseas property and the purchase document for your new French property (plus copies). As an EU citizen, you don't need a resident/immigrant card, etc.

[quote user="sunny"]Aidie,

When we moved from North America to France, we used a shipping company that shipped to UK and they then delivered via a truck to France. The company preferred to do it this way, as it was easier regarding customs.[/quote]

But how did you get round what Sunday Driver above mentions about having to show intention to reside in the destination country (UK)? Also, that must have added a fair whack to transport costs for the company to then ship to France, no?

I recently shipped my stuff from Singapore to Marseilles and it was an absolute nightmare due to FR customs.

I had to prove to them that I was changing my residence principal from Singapore to France. I had to show them work contracts in Singapore, deeds to my flat in Singapore, rental agreements to show I was letting the place out, Singapore ID card, work contract in France, rental agreement in France, French carte de sejour, electricity bills, internet bills, attestations from work, etc. They refused to give me the stuff on the first visit. Second visit they looked like they were going to refuse again. It was only when I made a passionate speech in French about how I was so glad to be back due to the climate, the food, the culture and ended with "Vive la France", that they let me have my stuff back.

Your plan to go via the UK might work. I would assume UK customs will not be so Draconian. Then when you bring the stuff into France you are moving within the EU which probably does not have the same restrictions. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

[quote user="Ade100"]I recently shipped my stuff from Singapore to Marseilles and it was an absolute nightmare due to FR customs.

Your plan to go via the UK might work. I would assume UK customs will not be so Draconian. Then when you bring the stuff into France you are moving within the EU which probably does not have the same restrictions. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

[/quote]

I have just confirmed this from the French Customs website: http://www.douane.gouv.fr/page.asp?id=59

They say:

Vous venez d'un pays membre de l’Union européenne

Lorsque

vous effectuez un déménagement vers la France depuis un pays de l’Union

européenne, il n’y a aucune formalité douanière particulière à accomplir

So if you are coming from the UK, no formalities at customs.

Looks like your plan is a good one. I wish I knew about this before I engaged in my fiasco at Marseilles.

Good luck