Moving to the South of France

Next June we will be moving to the French Riviera. My kids and I are Belgian and my husband is Brazilian. Could anyone advise me what the first steps are regarding paper work? I assume the kids and I are fine because of our Belgian passports? What about my husband?

Would anyone recommend a town/village that has stunning views, is not too big (like Nice)but has enough day to day shopping? We are looking at Cannes, Mougins, Antibes, Valbonne. Any suggestions? Thanks!

On the subject of where to live, we have an apartment in Mougins & can highly recommend it as a place to live - currently only a second home, but it has everything - great views, fantastic restaurants & shops, good golf courses & excellent transport system - buses are frequent to both Grasse & Cannes, from where you can catch a train to anywhere in the region + for work you have Sophia Antipolis.  Not too busy in the summer ( a haven of peace away from Nice, Cannes etc) & a great place to be off season.  You would be surprised at how reasonably priced some properties are - not everyone lives on a multi-million dollar estate.  Email me for further information.

take a look at coast & country estate agents website & you will see several properties around Mougins for less than a million - OK not right in the old village centre, but around Val du Mougins we have seen some lovely reasonably priced (for the area) villas.  Towards Mouans Sartoux it gets cheaper......

If your married even if your husband is from outside the EU but you are  an EU citizen then I shouldn't think you need any paperwork, other then proof of marriage. I would check with the Belgium authorities particularly if your passport is Belgium.

Lotus, there is paperwork involved, as unfortunately there are people unlike yourself who use arranged marriages to try and circumvent the visa restrictions that would otherwise apply.

In your situation assuming you have been married a while and there are children resulting from the marriage, then I cannot see you having any difficulty in establishing the marriage is genuine and getting the immigration consents for your hubby.

Aly's suggestion is good in that as a Belgium national it would almost certainly be easier to apply through the Belgium immigration authorities.

I am looking for a furnished apartment for the first 3 months or so, until my stuff arrives. After that we will be looking to buy our own place. Not sure about the price tag as of now. My husband is flying there next week to check things out. I will know more after that.

I heard of the arranged marriage situations before. We have been married for 12 years and have 2 kids. Normally, there should not be a problem.

Progster, as for now I will not be working and my husband will finish his project before he moves permanently. He will travel back and forth. Down the road, I would like to have a little business of my own.

• 10 months later...
EU citizens have the right to live in any member state with their non-EU family members (http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/education_training_youth/lifelong_learning/l33152_en.htm). In France, a non-EU spouse must apply for a carte de sejour at the local Prefecture. However this residency permit is a right and cannot normally be refused. The procedure for applying differs slightly but the Nice Prefecture website has some details on which documents will be required.

• 4 weeks later...
My husband and I live in Southern California but also have a home in the Languedoc region near the coast. The real estate prices in this area are much more reasonable so that you are able to get more for your money. I'd recommend you check the internet regarding Languedoc as it has great reviews.

My husband and I live in California but have a vacation home in the Languedoc near the Med and love it there. Real Estate prices are much more reasonable there offering more for the money. This is a quickly growing area due to the better prices and it does offer nice breach front properties.